• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VOTE NOW: Colors for Epaulet Corduroy Chore Jacket Preorder

Choose your top four colors

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

We're kicking off a new preorder project tomorrow. Our "Doyle" jacket is a classic patch pocket chore coat that's made in Los Angeles. It's been our best selling item for the past 7 years, and I think it's a perfect crossover style for both Classic Menswear and SW&D.

I obtained about 200 yards of PFD (prepare-for-dye) corduroy from the Kurabo Mill in Japan. It's an gorgeous 9oz pure cotton with an incredibly soft hand. It's tough, comfortable, and wearable for nearly all four seasons. It comes in a bright optic white, and we can use a reactive dye bath to make it any color that we want. It's often difficult for find that perfect tone in corduroy, so this way... we can just create the color ourselves. Plus these garment dyed pieces are extremely soft and totally pre-shrunk.

I did photoshop mockups of 10 colors below. Some are standard tones, and some are fairly bonkers. I would be grateful if you'd take a moment to look through the options and vote for your FOUR favorite colors. We'll use this as the guideline for what we offer in the preorder project.

Right now, the project is planned to go live tomorrow evening (Tuesday 8/17) and run for approximately one week. These dyed Doyle jackets will be $175, and offered in chest sizes 36 to 48. We'll look to close the orders next Wednesday, put them into work, and ship the final products around the end of September. It's going to be a great opportunity to build out your wardrobe with some unique FW pieces!

Indigo Cord.jpg

Mocha Cord.jpg

RUST.jpg

Gunmetal Cord text.jpg

Black Grape Cord.jpg

Cyan Cord.jpg

Merlot Cord.jpg

Moss Cord.jpg

Yellow Cord.jpg

Alpine White.jpg

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Loving the black grape and rust. But my easy go to choices would be gunmetal and moss.

Still very early but it's interesting that neither cracked the top 4. I feel like the off-kilter colors are going to come out victorious. It's pretty difficult to find a proper dark purple corduroy.

jms

Reaction score
I love to see it, but in good conscience I can't vote fluorescent yellow. I went traditional corduroy colors. Whatever happens, great price point ?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I love to see it, but in good conscience I can't vote fluorescent yellow. I went traditional corduroy colors. Whatever happens, great price point ?

I think that it's the boss level challenge. I wrote on our main thread: as long as fluorescent yellow finds 10 customers, I'll put it into work. We might need to add a small surcharge as that ink process is more expensive and there's likely going to be a small amount of orders, but I'll do it.

I searched "Fluorescent Corduroy" on google, and... there really isn't anything there. I think we can make this jacket and do so much better!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gunmetal looks like something worn by an inmate
at Alcatraz, circa 1940

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Gunmetal looks like something worn by an inmate
at Alcatraz, circa 1940

I'm actually really curious what they wore in those days.. I looked around for some pics but couldn't easily find any.

I did find this one though. These jackets seem to have an array of different collar and lapel shapes. A couple of the guys have bowties on too.

I'm not sure exactly what's happening, but some of these pieces could be in an Engineered Garments lookbook.

954681_4_90187_yTXCHtTCD.png

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks again guys... the poll is closed! I combined these votes with our feedback on Instagram, and the final lineup will be:

RUST
BLACK GRAPE
MERLOT
MOCHA

We'll offer Alpine White as that's just the undyed color and it's easy to make. And I'm going to additionally offer Fluorescent Yellow because... I believe that we simply must. I'll return with the product link once it's online!

notdos

Reaction score
Not that this matters, but from a design standpoint, I’d prefer a slightly shorter style with a more defined waist. Colors are great.

Phillip

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Not that this matters, but from a design standpoint, I’d prefer a slightly shorter style with a more defined waist. Colors are great.

Phillip

Thanks Phillip! In about a month we're going to present a full suite of fabrics for entirely custom Doyles. They'll be made by Rochester Tailored Clothing at the original Hickey Freeman factory in New York. With that program, we can dial in any length that you need, and we can also take in the waist. It will be fully made to order with lots of options for buttons and interior taping.

It will be a higher price point than these (about $350 to $475 instead of $175 on these stock corduroy pieces), but each piece is made individually and the options for customization are vast.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Cord Leader.jpg

DOYLE WIDE WALE & GARMENT DYED CORDUROY PROJECT

It lives!! I think you guys already got the big sales pitch so here's the TLDR...

1) We're offering Doyle jacket preorders with delivery in early October. Maybe (probably) a bit earlier but I'd rather over-deliver on this.

2) There's 8 different corduroy's to choose from. The Doyle shape is just PERFECT in corduroy. It's soft and comfortable and it goes with everything. You can wear it as outerwear in the early Fall and a layering piece in the Winter.

3) The Duca Visconti wide wale is so plush and nice that it's absurd. I'll have a video to show tomorrow.. but if you dig the look of it, then get it! You'll absolutely adore this jacket. We have enough for 12 units in Chocolate and 14 in Vintage Black.

4) We chose the dye colors after a round of voting on both SF and Instagram. The rad thing about them is that Merlot, Rust, Black Grape, and (sure as hell) Fluorescent Yellow are really difficult to find in a finished garment. It's a great opportunity to get an interesting tone.

5) We've got sizes 36 to 48 available for preorder. Whatever open stock that we offer will only be sizes 38 to 42. So definitely consider the preorder if you need sizes outside of that.

6) I'm happy to say that we hit a really great price on this. The last time we did a dyed corduroy doyle, it was only available in one color and it cost $196. These dyes have 6 colors available at $175. I definitely fought to offer a strong value with this project.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys, it's the last call for the corduroy Doyle project! We have a new youtube video that really shows the sample jacket in action...

There's two ways to buy into the project...

1) ORDER THE STOCK JACKETS THROUGH THIS LINK FOR $175 to $195

2) ORDER A TOTALLY CUSTOM DOYLE OR FIELD JACKET FOR $350 to $375

Custom jackets will be made by RTC at the Hickey Freeman factory. We've actually sold three custom field jackets in chocolate Wide Wale corduroy so far. They are going to be unspeakably boss.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads