• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vote LL Bean vs. JCrew vs. Land's End... please

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The other 2 threads were great. Thanks. Very balanced. What about LL Bean?

If you had to rank quality, with no regard to price, how would you rank the 3?

Are there any articles you particularly like or dislike from LL Bean?

Actually, I'm pretty sure my friend actually buys his staple $20+ pants/shirts from LL Bean on sale, not Land's End.
That seems like a great price for basic staples.

Hackett

Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're all terrible. J Crew shirts have awful, awful collars, most of the sweaters fit terribly, cashmere is cheap, and pants can be had at better places. Land's End has OK ties on the cheap, but I don't see why you wouldn't just save the money for something better. Their Canvas collection is really overrated, but it's OK for its price point ($25 shirts, $50 sweaters). You'd still have to get many of them tailored. Again, I don't see why one wouldn't just go MTM or something instead. As for LL Bean, all the fits are terrible if you're skinny. I've never tried their Signature Collection, but all those urban lumberjack kids seem to love it. Just not my thing.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go hiking/camping a couple times a year and LL Bean has some really great outdoor clothing for those types of activities, but I haven't worn any of their stuff for dress or casual wear. J Crew I always thought was pretty overpriced for the quality, and I don't think I've ever owned or even tried on anything from Land's End.

rcd213

Reaction score
IMO:

Best pricing: LEC> LL Sig> j.crew

Styling: Jcrew> LLSig > LEC

Quality: LL Sig> LEC=JCrew

Nathaniel72

Reaction score
I bought some blue corduroys from LL Bean, they're not the greatest, but they were worth the $40, and I've always liked J. Crew khaki pants.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't it really hard to generalize? Don't all three of these firms get their merchandise from a wide variety of different vendors?

In recent years, I have bought more stuff from Lands End, mostly their must-iron shirts, which I have been told they are phasing out. I will not wear plasticky, toxic non-iron shirts! If I were still roaming the woods a lot, as I used to, I might get more duds form LLB. Not much experience with J. Crew. I have a shirt or two that seem pretty nice.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Bean Boots are still a great value. And awesome work horses. That said, almost 100% sure that's the only product still made in the US from the Bean catalog. Not sure about their Signature line, though...

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you really need to revive all of these threads? One would have bean enough..

deathntaxes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Bean boots are great. I got the unlined version, thinking that with heavy wool socks it would be enough for the winter. Big mistake.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads