• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vote: Light brown shoes with navy trousers

Carey

Reaction score
I have always thought that look was wrong. I am fairly certain that Allan Flusser has written that the combination of light brown shoes and navy trousers is not the best choice. I think it looks corse.

Recently, I think Glen O'Brien wrote in favor of the look - as challenging the rules. I do not agree.

My apologies to long-term members if this has been discussed before.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think light brown shades like the A-E chili or chestnut can look great with navy trousers if they harmonize with other elements of the ensemble, say, a yellow or gold tie or a pale yellow or ecru shirt.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on the rest of the ensemble, I think that something in the burnt pine range can be quite good.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As stated in another thread, I think it's a great combination. I see a lot of navy or blue pants with light/medium brown shoes and belt in Italy and I always thought it looked quite nice

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2qa741l.jpg

With this hat
nod[1].gif

Seriously, I thought its accepted that brown is preferred even if its lighter.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't understand this navy hating. So if someone wears a nice navy Borrelli or Kiton suit with brown shoes, he looks smashing but the minute the jacket comes off, he looks horrible??? If you look at the recent pic Soph posted, you believe that if he takes the jacket and tie off, and keeps the navy pants, brown boots and shirt, he'll look coarse??

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I don't understand this navy hating. So if someone wears a nice navy Borrelli or Kiton suit with brown shoes, he looks smashing but the minute the jacket comes off, he looks horrible??? If you look at the recent pic Soph posted, you believe that if he takes the jacket and tie off, and keeps the navy pants, brown boots and shirt, he'll look coarse??

word

I still have no idea where that comes from...

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

---I was just joking with the hat, I wear brown shoes with everything, everyone knows I'm an Italian wanna be
wink.gif
Brown in all it shades, I luv! I only wear black shoes for interviews and formal events. I always wear Navy pants with brown shoes! Always! Unless its an interview/tux/

I dig navy socks with brown shoes
wink.gif
I do prefer darker brown than light usually but lighter brown for casual sometimes

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Carey
I have always thought that look was wrong. I am fairly certain that Allan Flusser has written that the combination of light brown shoes and navy trousers is not the best choice.

It serves to draw attention from the wearers face, which generally is not desirable. Personally, I feel that it's a mistake for any single component of an ensemble to be so striking that it demands individual attention.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
It serves to draw attention from the wearers face, which generally is not desirable. Personally, I feel that it's a mistake for any single component of an ensemble to be so striking that it demands individual attention.

Do you wear all black with a black turtleneck?
smile.gif

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree. For an ensemble to be successful, flow and balance are essential. The person greeting you should be met with a syncopated picture. Not by a picture whose rhythm is skewed by anything that can be interpreted as a focal point.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think he'd look good no matter what IMHO.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
I think he'd look good no matter what IMHO.

Like in that avatar?
laugh.gif

grilledcheese

Reaction score
it's fine... it often looks good even...

what i wore today:

NAVY Prada light wool flat front pants with an imperceptable pinstripe
white/light blue stripe missoni french cuff shirt (with no jacket, GASP!)
navy w/ orange highlight luciano barbera woven tie
LIGHT BROWN ecco driving shoes

dear lord, i must have the boorish manners of a yalie...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads