• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vomit-worthy.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
While I understand the impulse to inveigh against the sanctimonious, let it be said that veganism has very real benefits for the environment.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm a vegan by diet, although I do wear wool suits, silk ties and leather shoes. Never doubt the power of hypocrisy and vanity.

No, though the sanctimonious attitudes are annoying. I don't deny that veganism, etc. has potential benefits, but certainly, the attitudes are not necessarily beneficial.

Originally Posted by robin
How green are your awful jeans?

I did like Barney's "Have a green holiday" theme from last winter though, which was very tongue-in-cheek.

A green holiday with the lights still on--very green indeed. For most people, it's a trend to latch on, I think.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why would anyone click on a thread named "Vomit-worthy"?

peepwall[1].gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also ironic is the stance taken by environmentalists, etc. on fur. They call it unwholesome and immoral and detrimental to the environment when the fur industry is probably the most environmentally conscious of all the big industries since its entire livelihood depends on sustaining future generations of animals in a healthy manner--the quality of fur depends entirely on the health of the animal.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

# Heavy fragrances are frowned upon and wearing them in excess may even result in a lecture from a person with allergies on public transportation.
[/b]

The last one is especially appalling--who is the ruder of the two?

Of all the many contemporary crank movements that I despise, there is none that I despise more than the anti-fragrance movement. I would far, far rather smell the cheapest drug-store perfume slathered on in excess than the vile stench of human body odor. Some ethnic groups because of the pecularities of their cuisine smell especially horrible to me--I'd much sooner smell a skunk. Of course, I am told that with our diets heavy in meat and milk we "normative Americans" can stink pretty badly to them as well, so let's lay on the deoderants and fragrances in the interests of universal harmony and brotherhood!

As to the argument that some people are allergic to fragrances, talk-show host Dennis Prager pointed out that some people are allergic to sunlight [there was one such girl in my elementary school], and what are we supposed to do about that?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The rare occasions I've taken public transport--out of necessity rather than choice--I've sat next to some peculiarly odoriferous people, some of which were truly quite vile. Some could probably be excusable as they looked to be homeless, but others appeared to have perfectly respectable jobs. Those are the times that public smoking should be allowed.

There are also some places which expressly forbid people to wear fragrances, which I find absurd and tacky. You just want to spray on some heavy musk or civet scent and walk in there.

Caexars

Reaction score
I'm all for the idea of being "green" considering I was brought up being told that overconsumption and waste are horrible attributes. Modern first-world (antiquated term, I know) countries have huge overconsumption issues because of the abundance of materials that are present to us at all times. It breeds laziness and contempt.

Current scientific data has concluded that our overconsumption somewhat affects the nature of things and it may spell disaster for us. Alot of the companies out there who apparently make "green" products aren't actually doing so. I suggest doing some research before you purchase any "green" products. 2 labels that are reliable are Method and Seventh Generation, just to give you some examples.

As for those annoying vegans... *sigh* There will always be fanatic zealots with every cause. I find that ignoring them is the bes thing one can do because most of these people lack critical thinking skills. 2 things that irk me about modern-day vegan hippies:

1. The original hippies wore leather, and alot of these supposed "PETA friendly vegans" wear leather products as well without realizing it.

2. If you're a protester and you spill paint on a fur coat, you're just contributing to the deaths of more animals. Most of those fur coats are so expensive they're usually insured. And what happens when it's been defaced? The insurance company buys them another brand spanking new one.

3. PETA is evil. See: for some additional info.

As for the whole smoking tobacco/weed thing... I live in Vancouver. The anti-smoking law prohibits smoking within 6 meters of a doorway, window, or air-intake vent. Ya know what? I know more non-smokers that hate this by-law than smokers. Why? It's because it infringes on the individual's right to choose. Where do you draw the line? Yeah it's a good incentive to quit, but I'm going to be juvenile and smoke anyway just to piss you off, you ******* lunatics. As for smoking pot, it's not that big a deal. Go to the Amsterdam, or find a nice little park and toke until you're blue in the face. Just don't ******* drive or operate heavy machinery.

And there should be a madatory course in how to wear perfume/cologne PROPERLY. DOUSING yourself in this $300/bottle **** does NOT make you smell better. It just makes me want to vomit.

Use your non-fluorescent light bulbs. Drive your SUVs. Cut your grass with that gas-powered lawnmower. Ya know why? It's because you can do ALL of that. If all people really care about is reducing carbon emissions, then lets focus more on industrial accountability.

I think I'm done ranting for now.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Caexars
Use your non-fluorescent light bulbs.

I can't imagine a bleaker world than one basked in a Walmart-esque godless white fluorescent glow.

Caexars

Reaction score
I respect a man with a Dietrich smoking avatar.

I'm actually not a man, but I'm no Marlene either. I wish I was though. I admire her.

As for the fluorescent lightbulbs... Some people like that day-light hue. I personally prefer the yellow tinged fluorescents. Did you know they have those now? Really cool

bkk

Reaction score
I liken this whole green thing to girls who decide one day to be a lesbian. These people know they'll get attention and they're jumping on the bandwagon.

Speaking of zombie women, I read an article that Oprah is going vegan for three weeks. She just fails to remember that she needs to give up all of her leather shoes to truly be vegan. I just can't wait for all of the Oprah lovers to jump on that bandwagon...
http://deceiver.com/2008/05/23/oprah...r-three-weeks/

Caexars

Reaction score
That's ******* pathetic. I remember watching an episode of Oprah (don't ask me why, it was on TV and I was prolly stoned) and somehow she got into an arguement with one of the actors from Crash about the word "*****r" and the power the word holds. She kept on saying that she does not think the word is OK to use, whereas her guest on the show mntioned that a word does not have meaning in itself if people don't give it the meaning. It's just a sequence of sounds that describes something, whether derogatory or otherwise.

She's done nice things, but she's kind of a tool IMHO.

raphael

Reaction score
I don't have any problems with being environmentally conscious, but when it's made into a huge trend-wagon, I just want to buy a huge '60s Lincoln Continental and drive into Berkeley with it, me smoking in the front seat.

Let's just call it what it really is: green hysteria. I appreciate people's concerns about the environment but the way blame is being assigned is, frankly, so destructive that it becomes obvious the hysteria is about people trying to make money in the most dishonest way possible, not save the environment.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
i cant stand al gore, he didnt get the white house so he tries to bring the entire globe to its knees with one stupid word, green.

i hate it so much that one section of business school is teaching me of ethics and social responsibility being a tool to increase revenue because people (proles) stupidliy fall for the belief that a company being green is so much better than a company that isnt.

its like the hippies and the it bubble disolving decent work attire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads