• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Volcom Jeans

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
How are the quality of Volcom jeans?

mgoose

Reaction score
I don't think they are that great, but they are popular up here in my neck of the woods

Brian SD

Reaction score
Quality wise I was really impressed by what I saw. There have been numerous occasions where I've seen someone wearing a pair of well-fitting dark rinse straight-legs that had a nice slubby ring Xring weave and seemed pretty sturdy.

I wouldn't be surprised if they use Nissinbo or Kurabo denim, but at that market segment and price point, it would seem impractical. Regardless, I've been impressed, at least I was a few years ago when I last saw some.

I would never buy them myself (because I won't wear Volcom, plain and simple), but they're probably gonna get unduly thrashed.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
Thanks Brian. That is a really helpful response. I am not as well versed as you all in this sub fora, but I saw some decent deals on the jeans on www.whiskeymilitia.com and I thought I might grab a pair and give them a shot.

whatuknowaboutthat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Quality wise I was really impressed by what I saw. There have been numerous occasions where I've seen someone wearing a pair of well-fitting dark rinse straight-legs that had a nice slubby ring Xring weave and seemed pretty sturdy.

I wouldn't be surprised if they use Nissinbo or Kurabo denim, but at that market segment and price point, it would seem impractical. Regardless, I've been impressed, at least I was a few years ago when I last saw some.

I would never buy them myself (because I won't wear Volcom, plain and simple), but they're probably gonna get unduly thrashed.

I've seen volcom selvage at Nordstrom rack before and I'm pretty sure I saw a tag inside the jean indicating that they were Cone White Oak denim

coopster

Reaction score
I had a some in high school. I feel like they are trying to go the stussy route with higher end skate stuff.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
Ludey Krus

(and it's also a pun)

Oh, I see what you did there.

Here's my original thread on my Volcom's, surprised I missed this:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ghlight=volcom

I own a pair of the older 2x4's in the raw 'DIY' color, non-selvedge. They were a bright shade of blue compared to other raw denim, and fit fairly skinny when sized true-to-size. The details are lacking compared to what most here would be used to; no hidden rivets, no selvage, flat-felled seam on the outer leg seam, non-symmetrical rear yoke, etc. They hold their indigo fairly well and don't bleed out at all, so they tend to fade slower than many other denim brands. Weight of the denim is about midweight; I would guess in the 12ish ounce area....comparable to Levi's, imo. They are very soft for a 'raw' jean, though, so they are very comfortable.

They are very durable, though. I took it easy on them for a while, and got little fading out of them. Around the 3 month mark, I decided I had gotten them cheap enough that I could afford to make them my bitch-jeans (aka, do everything in them, work on motorcycles and cars, clean, etc.). Since then, I have put them through hell where most jeans would have ripped or worn holes. Fading is starting to get noticeable.

The newer selvage models are indeed made from Cone denim, so they may have slightly different characteristics, but my understanding is they are very similar to the older denim, just now selvage and made at a major manufacturer.

So basically....they use good denim with tacky details but good cuts.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 131 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 248 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.7%
  • 31 - 40