1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vivienne Westwood

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by haoshcn, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    Anyone who really has a grip on fashion is Westwood.
    Anyone who really appreciates fashion should own westwood. It's really that simple.

2. Verb

Verb Active Member

I am sorry that I kept complaining about the lack of fashion scene in Mid-west America. I guess I was just a bit upset after coming back from Chicago last weekend since I really wished to buy something before going, but it turned out the only thing I bought was a long-sleeved shirt from Issey Miyake at Saks, which I don't even like very much now and have decided to return.
    I feel your pain, I am a student in West Lafayette and am constantly CRITICIZED for wearing 'fancy clothes.' These same people walk around all day sporting their mall-purchased clothes (which let me tell you, there is not an ounce of fashion inspiration at a single mall in Indiana), yet they feel the need to say something about others' fashion? I sometimes feel like we're back in highschool. Graned the ladies appreciate it [​IMG] To stay on track, I've been a fan of Westwood since I saw her early Sex designs from the 70's but have never found a good venue to inspect her stuff. Like Ann Dem, her collections aren't readily available anywhere online that i've seen other than Firstview, which means there's no way for me to perusee the garments separately.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Moderator

Anyone who really has a grip on fashion is Westwood.
    Anyone who really appreciates fashion should own westwood. It's really that simple.

I really like Vivienne Westwood's various collections, but don't own any pieces. For one, they don't fit me (either in style or physically) particularly well; and I'm too poor to be a collector. That said, there was a washed linen/cotton jean style jacket in the most bizarre peach color on sale for something like 75% off that I was tempted to buy. Good sense made me buy some much more wearable Cloak pants instead.

4. berlin report

berlin report Senior member

Westwood isn't sold in Chicago because the buyers know they won't sell. Its as simple as that. While its true that a store will carry certain collections for the sake of image (and knowing they'll have to put it all on sale at the end of the season), Westwood doesn't have enough press coverage in that part of the U.S. to risk ordering the collection. In short, the store will not benefit in any way from carrying her clothes. Sadly, its just economics.
    Westwood pieces really only impress from up close. The idea is to take a runway outfit apart and look at the individual pieces. You will find that they're not as over-bearing and outlandish. At the end of the day, she's really all about pushing the creative limits of classical tailoring. Thats what she's really good at. Everything else is fodder for the fashion press.

5. Eric Stoner

Eric Stoner Well-Known Member

Reviving this old, old thread - sorry...

Wondered if anyones opinions of Westwood has changed recently? I've just been looking through her collection at Selfridges, London and quite tempted by the shirts. All looks very wearable and toned down from some of her previous seasons.

6. LA Guy

I haven't been in a couple of years now, but Traffic in LA used to carry a fair bit of Vivienne Westwood for men. It was always very interesting to me, but not being rich, I always tended to use my designer alloted money to Costume National, Paul Smith, and Helmut Lang coats and jackets that were a lot more versatile. I can think of a few obvious reasons that Vivienne Westwood does not go over well with American audiences:

1) Americans, including fashion mavens, like their cuts very clean and flattering. So brands like Paul Smith do a lot better than Yamamoto and Westwood, both of whom favor texture, pattern, and drape over structured silhouettes and simple patterns.

2) In the same vein, the whimsical, exaggerated details of VW clothes (contrasting buttons, exaggerated collars) do not have a receptive an audience

3) There is a market for more whimsical clothing, but VW's prices are too high for that customer, who buys instead from much more accessible brands like United Bamboo and Trovata (a lot of their stuff looks like a poor Man's V.)

Anyway, I could be wrong on one or more counts, but those are, for me, the obvious reasons the label does not do well in the United States. I wager that it does poorly in Northern Europe and Canada as well, where extremely austere styles are favored.

7. Eric Stoner

Eric Stoner Well-Known Member

Agree with your points LA Guy. I'm certainly not into the rather niche whimsical look - although accents of English eccentricity are welcome.

This is why I was pleasantly surprised with some of the collection in Selfridges at the moment. Any other Londoners had a look?

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

And yet Comme des Garçons is somewhat available in the U.S.

9. LA Guy

And yet Comme des Garçons is somewhat available in the U.S.

True. However:

1) A lot of CdG stuff has a deconstructed element to it, which is popular in some circles, and
    2) Most of the the CdG stuff in the states is from the Shirt line, more in line pricewise with a Steven Alan or a Trovata.
    3) (this relates to a point I should have mentioned earlier) Comme de Garcons is much more playful than Westwood. I don't really think that the American audience is particularly receptive to the punk sensibilities combined with whimsy that characterizes a lot of VW's collections. The overall feel is a lot darker than CdG, and in a much less straightforward fashion than say, the "urban decay" feel of Cloak, which American audiences embrace wholeheartedly.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Reasonable points. Also, it seems the more 'decadent' items like Undercoverism are also less popular in America, although there seems to be a smattering of the stuff in New York. However, you really don't see any of the really good Comme des Garçons stuff due to the points you mentioned-- too eccentric for American audiences.

I don't expect California to have a lot of enthusiasm for that sort of thing despite the popularity of Chrome Hearts which is really more "biker" than anything else.

11. TheHoff

TheHoff Senior member

I like what I've seen from Westwood's anglo line. I bought my wife a jacket (but it is now in the B&S forum due to size...) however a great, affordable piece. A bit young but totally wearable.

12. Happenstance

Happenstance Active Member

Agree with your points LA Guy. I'm certainly not into the rather niche whimsical look - although accents of English eccentricity are welcome.

This is why I was pleasantly surprised with some of the collection in Selfridges at the moment. Any other Londoners had a look?

I've recently got back into Westwood after about ten years. I've always loved the choice of fabrics and the cutting which is exemplary, but as always with Vivienne Westwood a quarter of the collections are absurd, a half so-so, but the quarter that is good is very good indeed and this is where the reputation and the retrospectives come from.

I have two fitted shirts from the Autumn Winter 06/07 season and one of the three button collar striped shirts from the current one. The fit is amazing and the fabrics beautiful and they are very wearable indeed.

You have to excercise a certain amount of discretion though with Westwood, as good buyers do when they select items from the collection, although I think Liberty's choice this season is probably better than Selfridges. Always worth checking out the Westwood flagship store on Conduit Street especially at sale time.