• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vitamins for men

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can someone recommend a good daily vitamin for men? i haven't taken one in years because they would often give me an unpleasant sensation in my stomach, even though i took them after a meal, as recommended.

my understanding is that the main difference between men's and women's vitamins is that men's should not contain iron, as men need very little iron and if one eats any meat at all during the day, he is getting all the iron he needs. too much iron can be toxic, especially to men.

any thoughts on what i've said? i'm no expert and i'd just like to finally find the right multi-vitamin to take after breakfast.

gqelements

Reaction score
You are correct about Iron. Men do not need more that 10mg per day [as found in daily meals], as any more has been linked to heart disease in men.
Next, if you take two pills take one at night and one in the morning to even out the supply.
If you having problems digesting the vitamins you could "˜test' th pill by throwing it in a container with vinegar - give it 30 seconds and if it as not dissolved, it probably won't in your stomach, so don't bother. [the only downside to this test is the fact that you are now stuck with a bottle of useless vitamins.]
One thing to keep in mind is that even a multivitamin is not a magical solution to the body's nutrition needs. Substaces such as Omega-3 ***** acids, amino acids, fiber and others are still only obtained from actual meals.

Personally I rotate between Centrum and Jameson multivitamins.

gqelements

Reaction score
one more thing, try to limit your calcium intake to under 300mg a day. Greater amounts have been linked to prostate cancer.

so much for Drink Milk Love Life.......

jharrison

Reaction score
Shaklee's supplements have given me the best results. And trust me, I've tried a dozen brands. With Shaklee, I actually notice a difference in the way I feel when I get off my regimen. You can order them at www.shaklee.com. One of the most impressive things about Shaklee is the staggering amounts of original research they perform. If you care to, you can read all about it at their website.

F4iryder14

Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that even a multivitamin is not a magical solution to the body's nutrition needs. Substaces such as Omega-3 ***** acids, amino acids, fiber and others are still only obtained from actual meals.

Personally I rotate between Centrum and Jameson multivitamins.
Actually you might be surprised to hear that you can get these things in a pill or bottle, and sometimes that can even be better or more cost effective than trying to do it naturally.  Omega-3's are found naturally in salmon, but unless you want to eat a lot of fish and pay the money for it, you can get a bottle of flaxseed oil at a supplement store and make it easier on yourself.  Natural is good, it's just that science has advanced so much that the gap is not as huge as people make it out to be.

As for the vitamins, I take Opti-Men vitamins by Optimum Nutrition.  They are designed for a man and contain no iron.  I would personally stay away from Centrum and other really pretty crappy brands that you can obtain at Wal-Mart.  Sure they will do okay, but vitamins from a sports supplement store or GNC or similar places will tend to be much more potent, but you will pay a little more.  It's your body so you have to make that choice.

Kevin

gqelements

Reaction score
F4iryder is absolutely right, a spoon of flaxseed oil can go a long way in a salad. Out of fish, nuts and other polyunsaturated fat-rich foods, Pacific herring has the highest concentration of Omega-3 ***** acids [followed closely by salmon].
Flaxseed oil is also good for slowly curing annoying stretch marks, results of rapid weigh fluctuation.

d.h.

Reaction score
F4iryder is absolutely right, a spoon of flaxseed oil can go a long way in a salad. Out of fish, nuts and other polyunsaturated fat-rich foods, Pacific herring has the highest concentration of Omega-3 ***** acids [followed closely by salmon].
Flaxseed oil is also good for slowly curing annoying stretch marks, results of rapid weigh fluctuation.
I heard olive oil is high in Omega-3s too. Is this true?

gqelements

Reaction score
no.
olive oil is a monosaturated fat.
fish and flaxseed oil are the ones you whant. (even canned tuna has o-3)

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Olive oil is monosaturated? or monounsaturated? I keep hearing it's good for you.

I'm starting to think I'm eating too healthy for my own good anyway. I'm trying to up my intake of ice cream and other irrational foods.

gqelements

Reaction score
Olive oil is monosaturated? or monounsaturated? I keep hearing it's good for you.

I'm starting to think I'm eating too healthy for my own good anyway. I'm trying to up my intake of ice cream and other irrational foods.
monounsaturated [i dropped the un by accident, my apologies]
but this doesn't make it much better.

as for ice cream, good call, that's my policy these days as well.

fopkid

Reaction score
one additional note about iron is that individuals from certain ethnic backgrounds are far more prone than others to suffer from a genetic predisposition to iron overload (which is bad). in particular if you're of african-american or irish descent, you should be wary of taking supplements containing iron, since you're presumably getting your fair share in a well-balanced diet.

marc37

Reaction score
l can't believe what i'm reading. A daily vitamin for men??? What about the other 16 vitamins??? FACT = Â vitamins work in synegy; therefore you need to take many vitamins at the same time for proper absoption. Taking one vitamin with cause a build up and flush other vitamins and minerals from your system. l urge you all to change your thinking. Minerals should come before vitamins. FACT = You cannot absorb vitamins without minerals. lron not needed in mens diets??? FACT = U.S.A & U.K are the two highest consumers of dairy products in the world. FACT = Dairy severley limits the absorption of Iron. FACT = Â Many men & women have been found to be short of iron. (Some studies suggest 85% of Americans have iron deficiency anemia. NOTE: l have not checked the validity of this study as of yet; l'll keep you informed folks&#33
wink.gif
. Please don't give me that non sense about calcium in dairy. U.S & U.K are the two highest consumers of dairy in the world; yet they have the highest levels of osteoporosis in the world. We can only absorb around 1.5% of calcium from dairy. You work that out. Oils [straight from the bottle are not good for you]. They are too concentrated for the body to properly break down. ln a concentrated form the oil is highly acid, depletes many nutrients and takes 2 days to break down [consequently]. Oils must work in synergy with other nutrients. Get your oils from seeds. SORRY: THIS IS THE ONLY WAY. The best way to get omega 3 is to slowly grind flax seeds in a grinder (or mortar and tessle). Also grind sesame seeds and soak them for 3 hours in room temperiture. lt will form acidopholis (that stuff in yoghurt). FACT = You can't absorb nutrients without good bacteria in the intestines: one of the best sources of this is the `soaked seeds' & `wheat water'. FACT = Chlorophyl + good bacteria = An explosion of the good bacteria in the intestines. This means mutch higher absorption of nutrients from food. (Chloropyl multiplies the growth of positive bacteria. l won't get into technical names on this forum). What's is all this talk about overdosing on vitamins for? You can't overdose on vitamins if you have their precursors, eg Beta Carrotene instead of Vitamin A. DON'T TAKE METALIC MINERALS (ground up rocks) and you will not overdose on minerals either. Take minerals in the colloidal form and it is impossible to overdose. What's all this talk about multi-vitamins??? l have studied hundreds of multi-vitamins and none are any good. (They may make you feel better but they are not going to keep you healthy in old age). Multi-vitamins are made by multi nationals for the sole prupose of making money, nothing else. FACT = We require 17 vitamins. Many multi vitamins have maybe 5 or 6 vitamins [and of which you will only absorb about 2.5% because of a lack of vitamin synergy. lf you want to pay the money you are welcome, but if you want to get healthy, start thinking differently. lf it was a easy as multi vitamins, alot more people would be healthy. Excess calcium causes prostrate cancer?
confused.gif
?
confused.gif
?
confused.gif
? Sir: you better be very careful of the environments in which these dubious studies were carried out. Was it a supervised double blind study? Did these subjects have normal levels of zinc at the time of testing. Did the subjects have poor health at the start of the study? What was the subjects diet at the start of the study? SUMMARY Don't belive everything you read. The world is full of gullible fools. Research everything in relation to your health: you will find out 99.9% of what you read is not true. l have no hidden agenda, l'm only trying to help people think abit and maybe even learn something about health. P.S: The dairy industry did a study in 1992 and accidently found that dairy has 47 cancer cancer causing chemicals. P.S.S Cancer and Aids cannot live with oxygen. When your body oxygen levels fall below 80%, you are ripe for cancer. Scientific testing has proven this. lf you increase oxygen levels in the body [using a controlled diet and lots of grass juice] cancer and aids disappear. (OOO did l say that). P.S.S.S Don't take any notice of RDA for vitamins. FACT = Â These RDA's are a minimal requirement [and inadequate]. Especially for todays polluted environment. FACT Â = Â A persons RDA can vary by ten to fifty fold. marsupialed individuals camn be 300 fold. (Everyone has different needs: we are not machines). Regards: Dr B8man.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads