• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vitamins for a 40 year old

darron.thomas

Reaction score
I am soon turning 40 and I maintain an active lifestyle with lots of running and bike trails
I tend to stay away from caffeine and I am not a smoker. I currently do not take any medications or supplements and I know it is ideal to have some vitamins along with proper nutrition.

For my age group what would be the good resource which will have the recommendations ?

esaul17

Reaction score
Calcium and Vitamin D are probably a pretty safe bet for anyone. Otherwise, men often should pick a multivitamin without iron, if set on taking a multivitamin.

That's about all I can think of.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am 44. I take One a Day Men's multi. I never did any serious research on it though - I eat plenty of veggies and the multi is probably overkill anyway.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think overall Rainbow Light's Just Once Men's One Multi is the best.

suzuka

Reaction score
buy the kirkland/costco brand of premium multis

Taxler

Reaction score
This is what I don't get; how does anyone know vitamins are working? Do you just assume that because you're healthy the vitamin must be the reason? And who's tried enough brands/dosages in controlled environments to know which is best? I'm over 40, I'm healthy, I take vitamins and supplements, my blood work is normal, I feel good, but I have no idea if the vitamins have anthing to do with that.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Taxler
This is what I don't get; how does anyone know vitamins are working? Do you just assume that because you're healthy the vitamin must be the reason? And who's tried enough brands/dosages in controlled environments to know which is best? I'm over 40, I'm healthy, I take vitamins and supplements, my blood work is normal, I feel good, but I have no idea if the vitamins have anthing to do with that.

You don't really know if there is a benefit for most supplements. However, there is just too much evidence to ignore that there very well could be long term benefits. What we do know is that there have been very few 50 yr. studies on rats or mice. so we are on our own individual experiment.

Go to Science Daily and do a search on whatever you are thinking about using. they have the announcements of study results for the last ten years or so. A couple of things I would recommend for about everyone are fish oil and vitamin D3. Add some green tea and curccumin (tumeric) if you want to go a little farther. All are pretty inexpensive and have almost no downside to them. the other thing you should do is to try to incorporate more flavorful foods into your diet. Look at the study results for basil, oregano, thyme, peppers, and garlic. then try to lay off of the bread, pasts, and sugars. It does not have to be an all or nothing commitment to be of benefit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads