1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Vitamins anyone?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Mr. Checks, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Distinguished Member

Anyone take a one-a-day vitamin? If so, any recommendations?

2. whoopee

whoopee Distinguished Member

I take Mega Men by GNC, and supplement it with certain requirements on my body on my doctors' recommendations. I do not know how effective they really are, but you might as well.

3. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

I take children's chewables. I kid you not. The adult ones hurt my stomache, and the children's are rather good. Kids need lots of vitamins.

4. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Distinguished Member

For a serious selection of high quality nutritional supplements at a much better than average price, try: http://www.wonderlabs.com. You can order online or via toll-free telephone. They ship direct from their manufacturing facility in Oklahoma. There is no minimum order.

By the way, Wonder Labs does have single tablet multi-vitamins in the correct RDA and ingredient ratios.

5. mr_economy

mr_economy Senior Member

Honestly you're just about as well off with Centrum and its knock-offs as anything else. All these "men's" vitamins with 80000% DV of Vitamins A-Z succeed mostly in giving you very expensive urine. And while overdosing on most vitamins is quite difficult, fat soluble vitamins (A,D,E, and K) are all potentially toxic in too high of doses.

6. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Distinguished Member

avoid vitamins that contain iron. iron is toxic in high doses and men get enough of it by eating any quantity of meat. iron is okay in women's and children's vitamins.

7. javyn

javyn Stylish Dinosaur

Anyone have any experience with GNLD vitamins? They are very expensive and you have to pay a yearly distributor fee just to get them, which makes me think they are most likely a scam. But I know someone who swears by them, and he definately seems to have tons of energy for working night shifts and then going to school at 8am, getting less than 5 hours of sleep a day. Specifically, he likes the Formula IV vitamins there.

8. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

I've taken many different types of vitamins...

My general one-a-day vitamin for the past few years is Kirkland Daily Multi Vitamins and Minerals. It compares to Centrum, but is the Costco brand and thus much cheaper. It has always worked very well and compares very well to the more expensive brands I've tried.

I also do additional supplementation with Vitamin B, C, E and CoQ-10, plus a ZMA formula at night as well as protein shakes and creatine.

9. Vaclav

Vaclav Senior Member

Hey you Mr. Checks, I'm worried, you’re losing, you’re losing your vitamin C.

10. coachvu

coachvu Senior Member

A vitamin is a vitamin. The cheapest tablets are being absorbed the same was as the most expensive ones, and all vitamin molecules will end up doing the same thing.

11. mbc

mbc Senior Member

I take Men's One-A-Day and occasionally an Omega-3 supplement from Trader Joe's.

12. javyn

javyn Stylish Dinosaur

salmon oil capsules and i'd like to get ahold of some cold pressed seal oil too.

13. bachbeet

bachbeet Distinguished Member

matador: Also, iron interferes with Vitamin E. They should be taken at least 8 hrs apart. And, I've cut down my intake of A, E, and D. Recent evidence shows that D is more important than previously thought. Especially for women.

I really got into vitamins when I was in the Peace Corps. My roommate was from Michigan and was really an advocate. I've read a lot of material since and still feel they give us a lot of benefits. And, the medical community has slowly accepted that taking them is a good preventative regimen.

14. javyn

javyn Stylish Dinosaur

I've got some GNC Mega Men Sport...although I probably payed more for nothing...it doesn't look like it's much different than the regular Mega Men. Going to give it a try and see what happens. I didn't like Centrum at all.

15. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior Member

I used to take the Costco brand multivitamin. When I had knee surgery 2 years ago, I asked my orthopedic surgeon and he recommended Nutriex. I got the sport variety. I have been taking them for a while, but can't really say that I notice much of a difference. One thing -- at my bodyweight (220 pounds) Nutriex recommends 9 capsules per day! I suppose that makes it a nine-a-day. 3 at breakfast, 3 at lunch, 3 at dinner is the best, but you can also take them 5 at breakfast and 4 at dinner.

http://www.nutriex.com/

Bic