• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vitale Barberis fabrics good?

Clintonjl

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my second ever post here on styleforum- I don't post much so please let me know if I'm posting in the wrong location or making any other faux pas.

I recently went to Arthur Bespoke in Montreal to get a MTM Samuelsohn suit and the tailor there can supply their own fabric to Samuelsohn to use- so you get a wider selection than the normal MTM fabric list.

Anyways, I was looking for a charcoal to dark grey fabric and he showed me a few, and I ended up selecting a BBC super 150s. I really liked the feel and look of it. (Attached a pic below) but I have read by many on this forum to avoid VBC. Have I made a mistake here? This is my first ever "good" quality suit I'm purchasing.

Please let me know and please educate me on what makes a quality fabric.
IMG_20200606_163031.jpg

Clintonjl

Reaction score
Oh my goodness. VBC!!! I'm so sorry, my phone keeps correcting to BBC.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The VBC “Revenge” line in 130 and 150 is good. Not sure which S150 fabric you picked out. Personally for a first suit I’d suggest going with a less expensive fabric like VBC 110, which is a very good fabric for the price.

Clintonjl

Reaction score
The VBC “Revenge” line in 130 and 150 is good. Not sure which S150 fabric you picked out. Personally for a first suit I’d suggest going with a less expensive fabric like VBC 110, which is a very good fabric for the price.
Thanks for the reply. This isn't my first suit, but my first new, good quality suit. I don't know what line the fabric is from, I should have asked more questions about it.

If worst comes to worst, I get a fabric that's not the most robust. It still feels very soft and I love the colour. I'll learn for next time.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VBC is decent fabric, but it kind of occupies a mid tier. Not that it's a bad thing.

150 fabric may not be the best choice. I think a 120 or 130 would be a better, more functional choice. How did the prices compare with the other fabrics? Just curious.

Clintonjl

Reaction score
VBC is decent fabric, but it kind of occupies a mid tier. Not that it's a bad thing.

150 fabric may not be the best choice. I think a 120 or 130 would be a better, more functional choice. How did the prices compare with the other fabrics? Just curious.
The VBC super 150s was $2400 CAD for the suit whereas the other fabrics ranged from $1700 to $2000. I did also get a second pair of pants due to the colour being very versatile and the fabric potentially wearing out a little faster.

Maybe it wasn't the best choice, but that said I do really love the colour and feel of the fabric. I guess it's all a part of learning, haha.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you'll find the 120 or 130 more practical, but then it's your suit so if the 150 is really talking to you and you love it, then go for it. Getting a second pair of trousers is smart in this case as well.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Clintonjl

Reaction score
I think you'll find the 120 or 130 more practical, but then it's your suit so if the 150 is really talking to you and you love it, then go for it. Getting a second pair of trousers is smart in this case as well.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Hey thanks. I agree with you, though I should also mention something rather important here too. I don't wear a suit to work. It's just to religious occasions twice a week for about two hours each time. I also would wear a suit out to a nice dinner every once in a while, but in any event these suits are not getting a huge amount of wear and tear.

I do intend to grab a navy suit next year and will likely go with a tougher fabric. When the product is finished I'll definitely post pictures!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For occasional wear I think you should be fine. I have a few suits made of Loro Piana 150 and it's a beautiful and smooth fabric, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a workhorse fabric.

Like you, I don't wear a suit for work so mine are worn for the same reasons. I'm not that hard on my suits so the drape and hand of the 150 cloth suits me just fine.

Clintonjl

Reaction score
For occasional wear I think you should be fine. I have a few suits made of Loro Piana 150 and it's a beautiful and smooth fabric, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a workhorse fabric.

Like you, I don't wear a suit for work so mine are worn for the same reasons. I'm not that hard on my suits so the drape and hand of the 150 cloth suits me just fine.
Thanks Phileas. By the way, I would just like to mention I greatly appreciate your helpfulness on this forum. This is the second post I've made where you've weighed in with a tactful opinion and it really encourages me about this community. I hope to learn enough to pass on my own information to others as I go through my suiting journey.

When I do finally get that suit (And the two bespoke shirts I ordered as well hehe) I'll definitely tag you in the post of the pictures and get your thoughts on my look, if you don't mind! Suit will be peak lapel, ticket pocket, some roping in shoulders but not much, and have grey MOP buttons. I hope it ends up looking as good as it does in my imagination.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ nothing wrong with being a bit rakish with a suit intended for occasional wear.

papado

Reaction score
I think you've gotten some great answers but to just briefly chime in from what I've heard from others in the biz: certainly nothing wrong with VBC but I've heard their sister brand 'Drapers' has generally been regarded as a superior cloth. I'm not sure what the differential is price-wise, but if you're a fan of VBC then I would suggest you take a look at them if you have any future tailored clothing orders coming up in the future.

Clintonjl

Reaction score
Hey so, I spoke with the tailor yesterday about the fabric and asked if it was from the VBC revenge line. He reassured me that it wasn't, but the fabric was thicker/heavier than that of the revenge line and that it should hold up quite well for a super 150s.

I don't think the guy is pulling my chain based off of my personal experience with him- he is definitely not a pushy salesperson or anything like that, so I trust him.

Thanks for the responses everyone, I really appreciate it!

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, who gives a S%$( what you read here. You love the color and the feel of the fabric which makes it good.
Its that simple. Don't overthink it.

GL

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ There’s a kernel of truth in that. One can overthink things.
However, there are a couple of factors here that warrant consideration:

1) this represents a pretty large investment and getting opinions/feedback and recommendations is part of his due diligence.

2) he has admitted that he is a relative novice. There are qualitative differences in fabrics and one should explore those differences in order to make an informed decision.

But yes, all things being equal, go with the fabric that looks, feels and will work the best for his budget and needs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads