• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vital magazine

Ken55

Reaction score
Just received this menswear magazine in the mail. Not sure why/how I'm subscribed to it, but I like the first issue. After the change in GQ's format (after subscribing for over 20 years, I guess I don't fit the targeted demographics anymore) VITAL is a welcome alternative.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you subscribe to details magazine, you should be getting a free premiere issue of vitals in the mail

scottmag

Reaction score
if you subscribe to details magazine, you should be getting a free premiere issue of vitals in the mail
I do, and I didn't. I just picked up Vitals impulsively at the bookstore and like it so far. Perhaps I was too hasty and I'll have to pass along a bonus issue to a sartorially-challenged coworker. But then, where to begin....

Scott

itzamazing

Reaction score
I subscribe to DETAILS as well and haven't received VITALS yet. For those that have seen the premiere issue, what are your thoughts on the magazine overall? Here's an article from WWD talking about the new magazine:

NEW YORK "” Vitals, the new men's magazine, is sure to be lumped in with Cargo and Sync as one more shopping magazine.

But Vitals editor in chief Joe Zee resists that designation, arguing the magazine "” the newest offering from Fairchild Publications, parent of WWD "” offers a unique point of view tailored to appeal to a more upscale, sophisticated audience than Cargo, (owned by Fairchild parent Advance Publications Inc.); Sync, published by Ziff Davis Media, and other men's titles. Comparing the magazine to a concierge at a luxury hotel, Zee said the quarterly Vitals fills an editorial void by using service journalism to create a context for the items it highlights.

Packed with information about clothes, electronics and other products of interest to men, Vitals hits newsstands next week.

"If I'm a reader, I need to know how those products relate to my life, to my lifestyle," Zee said.

In this case, that's a pretty affluent lifestyle. Rather than sell subscriptions, Vitals has opted for a qualified controlled circulation model, compiling a mailing list of potential readers with a minimum annual household income of $85,000. Over the next six months, recipients of the magazine will be asked to opt in via mail or e-mail to demonstrate "wantedness," said W publisher Alyce Alston, who is overseeing Vitals' business-side operations pending the hiring of a publisher.

With the questionable practices of a few publishers causing advertisers to devote more scrutiny to paid circulation, Alston said the timing is perfect for such a model. "I think advertisers are more interested in the right audience, the targeted audience," she said.

The 228-page premiere issue, which carries 81 ad pages, will also have a newsstand presence of 125,000 copies.

Although Vitals began life as an outgrowth of Details, the title's publisher, who will be named within the next month, will report to Alston rather than to Details publisher Chris Mitchell. The thinking behind that, said Alston, is to keep Vitals from being seen as a mere "subset of Details."

The affluence of Vitals' audience is reflected in its editorial mix. The front-of-book, which takes up most of the magazine, includes sections on style, travel, fragrance, grooming and "Who to Know." Along with the usual fare, the premiere issue includes a guide to the custom tailors of Saville Row and an article about art consultants, whom Zee describes as "the new personal trainers."

Then there are the celebrities, including Larry David and coverboy Matt Damon. Unlike other shopping magazines, which largely eschew celebrities, Vitals views them as the ultimate source of insider information about the luxury lifestyle, said Zee. "It's about them sharing their secrets and their tips," he said.

The magazine's design is suitably elegant for a magazine that's largely about, well, elegant design. Zee says his goal was to achieve a look that was "clean, slick, polished. We wanted to let the products and the service speak for themselves."

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I subscribe to the DNR. I think that is how I got my issue.

The odd thing was that I attempted to email the editor with a comment and the email came back as undeliverable. as if the email accounts aren't even set up.

I found some of the layouts to be confusing. but informative just the same.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought it at B&N yesterday, I'll post my thoughts on it tomorrow.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on seeing this thread yesterday, I ran out and bought a copy of Vitals. It seems vastly preferable to GQ, which is not a hard standard to beat.

HOWEVER, there is an absolutely egregious error on page 169: Two pairs of perforated cap-toe shoes are misidentified as "wing tips." In a few days, I shall have been in the magazine business for 25 years, and for 18 of those I have been at the top of the masthead. If I let so egregious an error go through in the magazine I edit, Gun World, I would seriously considering putting myself out to pasture.

I also note there are absolutely no pocket squares to be seen anywhere in that magazine. I think I'll start a thread about that over on the Andy Forum.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After flipping thru this magazine yesterday, I made the decision to subscribe immediately. Looks much better than Cargo, and with the recent demise of Esquire and GQ (whoever decided to put justin timberlake on the cover also decided to alienate me from this publication). Jeez, even Cigar Afficionado isn't what it used to be-- here's hoping this one delivers.

Ranjeev

Reaction score
Is Vitals available in Canada? I'd like to take a look. Although I have yet to see the new GQ with JT on the cover, GQ has gone down in quality in recent times. To all those Canadians out there, I also like Harry, which comes out twice a year. Not many articles but it does give me a few ideas on what looks good and what to purchase in the coming months.

rsp1

Reaction score
I purchased Vitals at the airport yesterday based on the discussion here. I found the contents to be interesting and diverse. However, did anyone else find the layout format (font choices, text locations, graphic design, etc.) somewhat annoying and confusing?

Also, I'd be interested to hear this board's opinions with respect to the articles on tailoring and shoes -- good advise or bad?

Urban Warrior

Reaction score
Just picked it up about an hour ago. Just flipping through it, it looks like a big improvement from GQ and Esquire. Anyone else really like Menswear magazine?

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think GQ has gone down as much as others here. They have obviously tried to bring in a younger demographic, but with men's magazines they are basically all having to do that. I don't mind Timberlake on the cover personally- he actually looks pretty snazzy to me.

I will admit that it is a rare instance when any of the big 3 (GQ, Details, Esquire) put together a great issue from cover to cover anymore.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Both GQ and Esquire have turned me off with their blatantly partisan politics. I don't plan to renew either subscription.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads