Vital magazine

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ken55, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Ken55

Ken55 Member

Just received this menswear magazine in the mail. Not sure why/how I'm subscribed to it, but I like the first issue. After the change in GQ's format (after subscribing for over 20 years, I guess I don't fit the targeted demographics anymore) VITAL is a welcome alternative.

2. hermes

hermes Senior member

if you subscribe to details magazine, you should be getting a free premiere issue of vitals in the mail

3. scottmag

scottmag Well-Known Member

I do, and I didn't. I just picked up Vitals impulsively at the bookstore and like it so far. Perhaps I was too hasty and I'll have to pass along a bonus issue to a sartorially-challenged coworker. But then, where to begin....

Scott

4. itzamazing

itzamazing Senior member

I subscribe to DETAILS as well and haven't received VITALS yet. For those that have seen the premiere issue, what are your thoughts on the magazine overall? Here's an article from WWD talking about the new magazine:

5. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

I subscribe to the DNR. I think that is how I got my issue.

The odd thing was that I attempted to email the editor with a comment and the email came back as undeliverable. as if the email accounts aren't even set up.

I found some of the layouts to be confusing. but informative just the same.

6. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I bought it at B&N yesterday, I'll post my thoughts on it tomorrow.

7. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Based on seeing this thread yesterday, I ran out and bought a copy of Vitals. It seems vastly preferable to GQ, which is not a hard standard to beat.

HOWEVER, there is an absolutely egregious error on page 169: Two pairs of perforated cap-toe shoes are misidentified as "wing tips." In a few days, I shall have been in the magazine business for 25 years, and for 18 of those I have been at the top of the masthead. If I let so egregious an error go through in the magazine I edit, Gun World, I would seriously considering putting myself out to pasture.

I also note there are absolutely no pocket squares to be seen anywhere in that magazine. I think I'll start a thread about that over on the Andy Forum.

8. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

After flipping thru this magazine yesterday, I made the decision to subscribe immediately. Looks much better than Cargo, and with the recent demise of Esquire and GQ (whoever decided to put justin timberlake on the cover also decided to alienate me from this publication). Jeez, even Cigar Afficionado isn't what it used to be-- here's hoping this one delivers.

9. Ranjeev

Ranjeev Senior member

Is Vitals available in Canada? I'd like to take a look. Although I have yet to see the new GQ with JT on the cover, GQ has gone down in quality in recent times. To all those Canadians out there, I also like Harry, which comes out twice a year. Not many articles but it does give me a few ideas on what looks good and what to purchase in the coming months.

10. rsp1

rsp1 Senior member

I purchased Vitals at the airport yesterday based on the discussion here. I found the contents to be interesting and diverse. However, did anyone else find the layout format (font choices, text locations, graphic design, etc.) somewhat annoying and confusing?

Also, I'd be interested to hear this board's opinions with respect to the articles on tailoring and shoes -- good advise or bad?

11. Urban Warrior

Urban Warrior Senior member

Just picked it up about an hour ago. Just flipping through it, it looks like a big improvement from GQ and Esquire. Anyone else really like Menswear magazine?

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Really liked it. More comments later.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

It is edited by Joe Zee, former editor of W.

14. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I don't think GQ has gone down as much as others here. They have obviously tried to bring in a younger demographic, but with men's magazines they are basically all having to do that. I don't mind Timberlake on the cover personally- he actually looks pretty snazzy to me.

I will admit that it is a rare instance when any of the big 3 (GQ, Details, Esquire) put together a great issue from cover to cover anymore.

15. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Both GQ and Esquire have turned me off with their blatantly partisan politics. I don't plan to renew either subscription.