• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I stand corrected. Seems as though, in that video, they are doing hand welts. I am not persuaded that they do it in general stock footwear though.

Anyway, thats still not a goodyear welt, it's a hand sewn welt.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like this has been up for debate before:

PinkuMan

Reaction score
Seems like this has been up for debate before:

This is honestly great info, I didn't think to look that far back into the thread. I thought Goodyear welt just referred to that welt in general, didn't think a certain kind of machine had to be involved in order for it to be considered a "Goodyear welt".

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is honestly great info, I didn't think to look that far back into the thread. I thought Goodyear welt just referred to that welt in general, didn't think a certain kind of machine had to be involved in order for it to be considered a "Goodyear welt".

Well, as people already pointed out back then, the GYW could in theory of course also be done by hand. But in that case the handmade variable doesn't add anything more in terms of construction or quality compared to the standard machine made GYW.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you owned a pair it's pretty obvious the welt is done by hand. The spacing is too sporadic to be machine controlled. And yes, back to the other comment, is why they still manufacture the boots in China

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you owned a pair it's pretty obvious the welt is done by hand. The spacing is too sporadic to be machine controlled. And yes, back to the other comment, is why they still manufacture the boots in China

Again, yeah it might be done by hand, but if it's the same construction as a regular GYW then the handmade component doesn't add more quality.

pastrystar23

Reaction score
visvim hand welts their shoes. anything after 2012, which is why they're so expensive, the process itself may the same as goodyear machinery but of course you're paying a human being to do it so it's not quick and that all adds to the price and prestige, it's why a Patek cost more than a Timex. yes, I agree, the use of "goodyear" is bit of a misnomer, in this case I think it is simply describing the fact their is a leather welt that's stitched, I suppose goodyear name has some cache? in any case...

in terms of where the shoes are made, as we all know hiroki makes a point of visiting every factory that produces his items, now being in China, can we be 100% certain that work isn't being subcontracted to places with less attractive working conditions as the one in the video? no, of course not, but I think we can assume hiroki has developed a close relationship with his factories over the years, and I'm sure he's not one to use sweatshop slave labor in the name of profit, of course being made in China in itself is not a bad thing, you just have to find the right people who care about what they make and do it in a transparent fashion, there are good craftsmen all over the world and if they can't hack it, then he'll look somewhere else. I've noticed the new skagways being made in Taiwan. That's a good move.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're all here reading and posting about Visvim because we're fans of the brand. You don't need to deliver a rebuttal every time anything remotely critical is said.

See above quote.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile, Hiroki on his way to the bank:

Screenshot_20210715_214309.jpg

Emixam

Reaction score
The welt is handmade on every folk models while it may not add anything in terms of solidity and clearly adds to the final cost, it allows to use waxed thread and the uneven/spaced out stitching adds to the look that I personally favor.

Emixam

Reaction score
I stand corrected. Seems as though, in that video, they are doing hand welts. I am not persuaded that they do it in general stock footwear though.

Anyway, thats still not a goodyear welt, it's a hand sewn welt.

The good year stitching is done by hand, you are confusing it with the welt stitch to the outsole. Goodyear stitch is the one linking the welt to the upper/insole and that is done by hand in all folk models (without canvas rib which is necessary when stitched by machine) . On top of that, they do the welt stitch by hand as well (rapid stitch is done by machine).
_20210716_090749.JPG

It is very hard to find workshops or small factories able to do such handstitching at a "big scale" and all year long for one brand. Vis releases around 10-15 models per season with 300-500pcs/model, so it seems this Chinese factory (owned by the bearded Taiwanese guy we often see on pics during their exhibition shows) is their best option. Factory has 100pers and also produces for other brands (I discussed twice with the Taiwanese guy). While there are many small handstitched Goodyear workshops in Japan they usually produce their own brands only or cannot handle such big qty for another brand.

Last edited:

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much as I turn my nose up at 'Made in China', all pairs of Vis footwear I have have been excellent quality. Let's not forget that China has a history of producing some of the finest pieces in history, Jade, Porcelein etc. I appreciate recent history has somewhat tarnished this, but with a population that large, surely there will be people who still produce quality.

Same here in England, we have factories in Leicester producing crap for Boohoo, as well as world class cobblers in Northampton and tailors on Savile Row. Nowhere is perfect.

I appreciate not everyone is having a pop at the 'Made in China' tag as part of this conversation, but just wanted to add my two pence.

PinkuMan

Reaction score
Sorry for starting a civil war on the topic of China and Goodyear welts lmao. I have just another general knowledge inquiry: why and when did visvim stop calling their denim "fluxus denim" and start calling it "social sculpture denim". Is there a difference between the two? Or is it all just name?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads