• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pastrystar23

Reaction score
Japanese retail is on another level in terms of customer experience. Visvim Exposition in LA is more akin to shopping on rodeo drive (or other luxury stores) than typical Japanese retail. If you’re one of their main clients, they’ll be buddy buddy with you. otherwise they maintain this elitist, gatekeeper attitude that makes it difficult for people that are genuinely interested in the brand, the store, or anything in between, to enjoy the experience of shopping and getting to know the brand. It’s why I personally don’t buy anything from them anymore and basically just through other authorized retailers.
I agree with you when it comes to Japanese retail experience. but actually it's not just in Japan, but Japanese people in general take hospitality and customer service to a different level, very self sacrifical, professional and knowledgable. Just came back from NYC (nothing to see there). ended up going to woodbury commons outlet about an hour upstate. they have some incredible outlets there, but namely I was going there for the Loro Piana store and Brunello Cuccinelli. anyway, the attendant at cuccinelli was a nice japanese lady who was very accommodating in a way that didn't make you feel embarassed about checking the price tags, which I knew were still going to be very high with these brands, my mother wanted to buy a pair of pants and had never bought the brand before, so she immediately recommended that she try one one, bringing in several sizes. She offered us bottled water and was noticeably disinfecting surfaces routinely in our prescence, we even chatted up about how we both visted Assisi and details of the brand. very different from the cold, hover over you attendant at loro, who for her this was merely a 9-5. (she knew nothing about what made Vicuna so special) btw they had a vicuna jacket going for 11k down from 26k, goddamn beautiful and unfortunately my phone died so I could take a pic.

Contrary Warrior

Reaction score

Bandana Camp Hat
Viator Chief Sunglasses
Amplus Tee
Uniqlo Tee (Under)
Veterans Shorts
Goros Necklace
Attica Trainer
My Archive Readers Club Musette

B34FDA4C-FFBF-4BD3-A030-B1FDB68E7377.jpeg

pastrystar23

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
not sure if true, but you need an original receipt to get **** resoled. it makes it very difficult.

the after sales support for the brand really needs a shot in the arm. resoling shouldn't be a difficult thing to do. Cottle has a repair service form on their website you can submit to get anything they make repaired for the life of the garment. That's the **** I expect if I'm dropping serious cash on crafted clothing.

Mottainai!

pastrystar23

Reaction score
True of most places in retail. That's why I buy only online. Partially choice and geographical limitations, but mainly because I like to spend time researching and looking before I buy and stores have no time for that.
I totally understand your view, but it really it is a special thing when you can be with people who have the same genuine interest in something most would see as pretentious. Knowing more about what you are buying adds to the value and experience, and sometimes you can only get that info by going to actual stores. The FIL stores in japan are gorgeous and are an item of the brand in and of themselves.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC resoling no longer requires original receipt or box, staff were happy to send mine out to Japan, but costs seem pretty prohibitive, ie cost of shipping to japan, cost of resole, plus cost of return shipping. I could be wrong but that would put it north of $500 just for a resole. Would rather just hold onto my boots and bring to Japan on vacation, and have a proxy send them back to me when theyre done.

bbhewee

Reaction score
to those with the SS20 iris liner vest, is the fit different from the more recent iris jackets?

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, fit is the same as old iris liner jkt, not iris jkt.

bbhewee

Reaction score
That makes a modicum of sense and why the fit is so similar to my Wawona...

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah the vest is a size up job. My belief is that the old iris "liner" jkts were intended to be an inner layer, whereas the newer models are supposed to be used as an outer either because visvim staff saw most people wearing iris as outerwear. The vest follows the inner lining style so its a size up job unless you want it super snug to the body. I went the same size in the vest as I did the wawona.

bbhewee

Reaction score
Was it SS18 that the liners started turning into jackets?

Contrary Warrior

Reaction score
IIRC resoling no longer requires original receipt or box, staff were happy to send mine out to Japan, but costs seem pretty prohibitive, ie cost of shipping to japan, cost of resole, plus cost of return shipping. I could be wrong but that would put it north of $500 just for a resole. Would rather just hold onto my boots and bring to Japan on vacation, and have a proxy send them back to me when theyre done.

I was quoted $200 at Exposition.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the resole is 200, but that wouldnt include shipping to and from Japan correct?

Owl

Reaction score
Was it SS18 that the liners started turning into jackets?

I think it was FW19. This was the iteration I bought that was essentially up a size from SS18.
liner-green-1.jpeg

from the 'normal' liner.

Unknown.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads