• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pastrystar23

Reaction score
Dumb question but do the mud dye and uneven dye sweats change color when washed like the indigo dye do?
all natural dyed fabric "age" with wear, wash and UV exposure. so, yes. I recommend spending the money on Laundress detergent (or at the very least woolite). regular household soaps like tide are much too strong and can discolor certain dyes depending on ph (dark red cochineal goes pink or even purple for example). and as always, get an ultrasonic cleaner, especially for naturally dyed garments, it maintains the "as purchased" look the best (if that is your intention. to some the natural wear patterns will become the desired "patina" future vintage buyers will be looking for)

Last edited:

zabo358

Reaction score
all natural dyed garments "age" with wear and wash. so, yes. I recommend spending the money on Laundress detergent. regular household soaps like tide are much too strong and can discolor certain dyes depending on ph (dark red cochineal goes pink for example). and as always, get an ultrasonic cleaner, especially for naturally dyed garments, it maintains the "as purchased" look the best (if that is your intention. for some the natural wear patterns will become the "patina" future vintage buyers will be looking for)
Thanks for the suggestion. How do you wash your natural dye's with the laundress? Do you put a small amount of detergent in and hand wash and let it soak for a while?

Can you recommend a good ultrasonic cleaner? Can this be used for pretty much any type of stain?

pastrystar23

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. How do you wash your natural dye's with the laundress? Do you put a small amount of detergent in and hand wash and let it soak for a while?

Can you recommend a good ultrasonic cleaner? Can this be used for pretty much any type of stain?
right now the best Ultrasonic cleaner you can buy is the model made by Sharp (they make different sizes, get the largest one, its around $100 but money well spent, i believe amazon has it). I fill a basin (or use a cleaned sink if its just a small garment, or the bathtub if its big) with water and just a small amount of detergent (laundress is very concentrated) enough so the garment can float just above the surface then simply turn on the cleaner and go over the garment with a gentle waving motion just above the surface of the water, you want to maintain the buoyancy of the garment as you clean it for the cavitation to be created properly (you should hear a clear sizzling noise, the formation of microbubbles). I then turn it inside out and repeat, then I drain the water, fill with fresh and repeat twice more turning inside out to rinse, then I spin it in the washing machine (I try not to wring anything out) then dry flat. Most things don't take me more than 10 minutes to wash, and it's cleaner than it's ever been. No soaking, no abrasion.

yes, this is effective for any type of stain, however grease stains will need to be broken down with a solvent like diluted ammonia for it to be removed by any method, and of course, very deep set in stains will be lightened significantly but not all the way removed (you need a professional ultrasonic cleaner for that and only japanese cleaners use those.)

Last edited:

zabo358

Reaction score
right now the best Ultrasonic cleaner you can buy is the model made by Sharp (they make different sizes, get the largest one, its around $100 but money well spent, i believe amazon has it). I fill a basin (or use a cleaned sink if its just a small garment) with water and just a small amount of detergent (laundress is very concentrated) enough so the garment can float just above the surface then simply turn on the cleaner and go over the garment with a gentle waving motion, you want to maintain the buoyancy of the garment as you clean it for the cavitation to be created properly. I then turn it inside out and repeat, then I drain the water, fill with fresh and repeat twice more turning inside out to rinse, then I spin it in the washing machine (I try not to wring anything out) then dry flat. Most things don't take me more than 10 minutes to wash, and it's cleaner than it's ever been.

yes, this is effective for any type of stain, however grease stains will need to be broken down with a solvent like diluted ammonia for it to be removed by any method, and of course, very deep set in stains will be lightened significantly but not all the way removed (you need a professional ultrasonic cleaner for that and only japanese cleaners use those.)
Appreciate the detailed breakdown. This seems very effective. I've ruined the color on so many of my clothes trying to rid stains out with every type of cleaner/method. I've spent a fair amount of cash on some new Vis pieces and want to make sure I don't make the same mistake going forward.

Do you hit the entire garment with the ultra sonic cleaner or just the stained areas?

When you drain the basin and fill with fresh water are you repeating the cleaning with ultrasonic and adding back in detergent or only doing that on the first soak?

Do you ever put the garment in a laundry bag while spinning it dry?

pastrystar23

Reaction score
Appreciate the detailed breakdown. This seems very effective. I've ruined the color on so many of my clothes trying to rid stains out with every type of cleaner/method. I've spent a fair amount of cash on some new Vis pieces and want to make sure I don't make the same mistake going forward.

Do you hit the entire garment with the ultra sonic cleaner or just the stained areas?

When you drain the basin and fill with fresh water are you repeating the cleaning with ultrasonic and adding back in detergent or only doing that on the first soak?

Do you ever put the garment in a laundry bag while spinning it dry?

I wash the entire garment paying particular attention to wear areas or stains. (but that's the great part about this cleaner, it's small enough to travel with and you can effectively spot clean even without detergent). It's true, if you want to really maintain fabric, not washing it at all is the best thing you can do (assuming it's not soiled) so yes, sometimes if the garment is not really soiled I will only wash the effected areas which you can easily do with this device.

when i rinse, i am using the ultrasonic and the same technique but with just clean water, you want to push out the dirty water using ultrasonic too or the dirty water will resoil the garment. that's how effective the cleaning is and that's why I do it twice. this will get out most collar ring and extremely good for cleaning hats.

yes, if it's a garment with loose type buttons or some other detailing that you don't want flopping around and potentially coming off, always spin in a laundry bag.

also, before washing anything by any means, always remove the leather zipper pulls or any other leather detailing that can be removed.

Last edited:

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes thats legit, 3003 came out FW 2017. this is mud dyed limonta.

wow, that's an extremely good price, congrats.
There was one on Mercari, (you're fault for introducing me!) that went for 83k, with tags bag etc. It was on 4 reseller pages at the time as well! It was a 4 too which may be slightly better for me, but we will see.

Trouble was I couldn't mark down the parcel and then risk losing it, whereas for the sake of another 10k, I can mark down, and if lost, claim the full value back through Zenmarket. Definitely had my eyes opened to Mercari though!

pastrystar23

Reaction score
There was one on Mercari, (you're fault for introducing me!) that went for 83k, with tags bag etc. It was on 4 reseller pages at the time as well! It was a 4 too which may be slightly better for me, but we will see.

Trouble was I couldn't mark down the parcel and then risk losing it, whereas for the sake of another 10k, I can mark down, and if lost, claim the full value back through Zenmarket. Definitely had my eyes opened to Mercari though!
yes, I understand that it depends on the price if it will work out for you going through zenmarket, but like I said, sometimes the prices offered on Mercari are simply too good to pass up. Mercari is more like a community based flea market/pawn shop than something more formal like YJPA. I find Mercari sellers tend to be people who really need to sell something for the money and they slash prices more regularly.

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, I understand that it depends on the price if it will work out for you going through zenmarket, but like I said, sometimes the prices offered on Mercari are simply too good to pass up. Mercari is more like a community based flea market/pawn shop than something more formal like YJPA. I find Mercari sellers tend to be people who really need to sell something for the money and they slash prices more regularly.
Yes I've definitely noticed that. I have no issue with it at all. Its more that Zen won't work with them and Buyee will not, I think, allow you to reduce the declared value of the parcel. If they do, they certainly don't provide mandatory insurance for the actual parcel value if it goes missing and you can only claim the reduced amount back. Plus 300 yen commission is really good.

bbhewee

Reaction score
For those of you wearing the newer Lhamo
Shirts (that are slightly bigger), what do you manage to layer them with? I’ve always been a t-shirt and lhamo guy, but thinking I could wear the last one I got differently as it’s a little looser...

pastrystar23

Reaction score
For those of you wearing the newer Lhamo
Shirts (that are slightly bigger), what do you manage to layer them with? I’ve always been a t-shirt and lhamo guy, but thinking I could wear the last one I got differently as it’s a little looser...
I sometimes wear a hoodie underneath or a jean jacket or I will wear it underneath a robe. FYI the newer lhamos have side pockets which account for their increased width. I appreciate the usability.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heard this vest was the secret ticket into the vis gang. Vis in front of Richard Serra (Serra boot named after the artist).

Outer- Iris vest 20ss
Knit- Freaksstore heavy hoodie
Bottom- Nanamica wide chino
Foot- Converse platform custom

1615185943847.png

Crandnew

Reaction score
Can someone with knowledge give me a run down of the difference between the 101 and 102 cut wise? Measurements make the 102 look cut slightly bigger. Is it cut that much different to warrant a size down from your 101 size?

Owl

Reaction score
Has anyone on the thread found any good quality replacements for the leather Virgil laces? 27-03-2018_visvim_virgilfolkhorsehide_brown_118102002005-brw_mg_1.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads