• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've gone with the red to start with and am going to see what happens stock wise with the others. The Orange looks like the Tobacco one that Lady White did, whih is why I love it.

supermang

Reaction score
Purple looks amazing but I feel like I might aswell cop similar pieces by Kapital or Cottle instead for less than jpy retail

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the red one from AW20, it's definitely a nice color with the uneven dye. Looking forward to seeing the new SS21 ones in person though. Eyeing the Purple.

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No. For any fashion brand the basics help subsidize the rest of the brand. Personally I like the fit of Jumbo sweatshirts/hoodies, and the fact they sometime come in interesting dyes (uneven, vegetable, mud) makes me okay with them. If anything, the construction might not even be in the same category compared to RC.
The Jumbo hoodie you have uses Luxsic cotton which is Sea Island cotton grown in New Mexico. Sea Island cotton is regarded as the highest grade of cotton in the world and it's production is tightly regulated and highly limited. Visvim gets all of their fabrics custom made, they do not buy bulk fabrics. If the hoodies are naturally dyed then that in itself will justify the much higher price tag. As far as I know none of those other brands you mentioned use Luxsic cotton or champion natural dying as much as visvim. then of course there's the made in Japan factor which adds to the price in terms of craftsmanship, expensive labor and production practices and customs and duty fees.

Visivm is about "deep quality" like most things Japanese, the value is buried within the garment/item. from every stage from the seed to weave of the finished fabric, every step is considered. It's like if Jiro made clothes instead of sushi. I've had his sushi and just like clothes, it can look like everything else you've had but once you taste it, you can sense the thought and work that went behind it.

also, keep in mind visvim retail prices outside japan are almost double. the tax and duties are ridiculous.
Thank you. The sea island used on the hoodie does feel luxurious, almost like cashmere. Not that I was looking for a very soft sweatshirt, but it is not bad to have one alongside a heartier one.

Regarding my other purchase, the Lhamo shirt mil, I really like it. I was concerned about the fit since Visvim can run small in the shoulders, but my typical size worked out well.

pastrystar23

Reaction score
Thank you. The sea island used on the hoodie does feel luxurious, almost like cashmere. Not that I was looking for a very soft sweatshirt, but it is not bad to have one alongside a heartier one.

Regarding my other purchase, the Lhamo shirt mil, I really like it. I was concerned about the fit since Visvim can run small in the shoulders, but my typical size worked out well.
Hiroki puts the same thought and deep quality ethos in everything Visvim makes. I mean, what exactly would you call "basic" in the Visvim range? most everything is pretty basic in terms of silhouette, the brand is in the details and it's not evident to most. Many will tell you it's hype, but Visvim products have provenance that's actually worthy of your investment, something tangible, something probably time consuming and handmade with very limited production by craftsman that require high initial monetary investment. The dissertations on the website and in print are not fake news. Nothing Vetements makes cost the way it does because of provenance, that is literally a hype brand for peacocks with money to burn.

Last edited:

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I appreciate what you write re Visvim.

I don’t totally agree re Vetements though. Some stuff may be questionable, but I have handled a few Vetements pieces that were incredibly well made and designed and with intricate details. I guess he can be a polarizing figure, but Demna is very talented.

Reaction score
Any tips on how to style vis with some other brands? I have been really into Rhude lately but I feel like sometimes it clashes? Or am I overthinking it? Anybody else into Rhude or similar brands here?

Retlas

Reaction score
One for @Contrary Warrior here.

Quick one mate, do your label look like this one? it is really the "S" in Visvim I am looking at. I have seen this "wonky" S stitching on a few strablers...

Screenshot 2021-01-17 at 07.55.19.png

Retlas

Reaction score
For reference this is an orange strabler vest like yours...hence asking

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be that guy. Can I get a LC on this?

Not sure on the label, after the whole arrow two lines thing before.

I'm saying legit, as all three of these have the same label.

Last edited:

Owl

Reaction score
I have that item. Looks identical to mine. It's the non down filled version. Better for layering imho.

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have that item. Looks identical to mine. It's the non down filled version. Better for layering imho.

Perfect thanks @Owl. I hear RagTag is legit, so I think I'll be ok. Do you know which season it is and the item ID. Keen to see a lookbook on it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads