• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers for the above guys. I am torn between a Sanjuro and a Thorson at the mo. For the Thorson the two I have seen are a size 3 and 4 from aw18.

As I said to Retlas, the sanjuro is more unique, but is quite out there, and may get worn less. The thorson is more wearable and versatile I guess for it, but equally is quite generic and not an inherent vis piece.

If anyone has both, I'd be keen to know which you prefer or get more use out of.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have a thorson to compare with because I'm not a big fan of normal bomber jackets.

That being said I do have a down sanjuro bomber, and tbh I don't wear it much. I find a fairly limited time window where it can be worn as it's too warm to spring/summer but also too cold for winter due to lack of sleeves and zip/buttons. If you're a vest guy than maybe it can work but not being able to button it up makes it less useful.

Additionally I think it is a bit too unique such that I'm self conscious about wearing it in Japan, afraid I'll get yelled at by old people in Korea, and in most of the USA stands out too much.

That being said, it's clear I've got some stuff to work out mentally, and if you don't have those problems than I'd focus mostly on the utility compromises.

Contrary Warrior

Reaction score
Cheers for the above guys. I am torn between a Sanjuro and a Thorson at the mo. For the Thorson the two I have seen are a size 3 and 4 from aw18.

As I said to Retlas, the sanjuro is more unique, but is quite out there, and may get worn less. The thorson is more wearable and versatile I guess for it, but equally is quite generic and not an inherent vis piece.

If anyone has both, I'd be keen to know which you prefer or get more use out of.
I have the black Thorson from AW18 and wear it more but the Sanjuro down is unique and essential VISVIM that receives more compliments.

I say if you are going to make that investment, go for unique and one of a kind.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have both, thorson is more versatile but as you said outside of materials and overall quality its not too unique.

Chrimbus came early:

Really hope I can stretch these, the instep is so shallow and with the heelcup are so tough to get on. Thankfully they seem long enough in the toebox
PXL_20201203_224048392.jpg

Got this grease for a steal, pretty happy. Thankfully even with the narrow shoulders its fine with a hoodie underneath. Excuse the pajama fit lol

PXL_20201203_202236718.png

Last edited:

thebayst

Reaction score
Fycus, I'd definitely look into getting a boot jack and a very long shoe horn if you don't already have them. Protects the heel cup from being deformed and makes it much easier to take them off!

Samer

Reaction score
Sanjuro. To down or not to down?

I like the AW20 piece, but am not sure if the down one is the better buy? Want to use it for more than AW, so could be too warm in summer etc.

Any advice on sizing too would be appreciated.
I got a aw20 brown size 4 on grailed if you wanna wheel and deal

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers, definitely need a shoe horn. Will look into a boot jack as well. May get instep stretched at a local cobber, or wear at home a few days and hope they stretch enough.

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a aw20 brown size 4 on grailed if you wanna wheel and deal

Will drop you a pm.

@Fycus @Contrary Warrior cheers for the above
@Contrary Warrior the one I am looking at is a aw18 4. The price is sub £900 atm so is a. Good buy IMO. I assume you have the same. Is the fit more repro on that season or less boxy?

@keykoo, I think we are kindred spirits, based on your worries about public perception! ? I was talking to @Retlas about how my social groups would limit what I could wear. Not that they influence my style, but I can't be bothered with a the grief and as you said, the window may be limited.

How it is just a much more unique piece. Decisions decisions. Bahh!

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I could justify buying an item to wife on the basis of inspiring sadness due to cold forearms @keykoo!

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Hanto personally I think visvim's patterns were not so great up until recently (~19AW forward), and not saying that because theyre on trend now. They had super high/tight shoulders and extra long arms, instead of true shoulders and true arms. Now they have drop shoulder with shorter arms, however this lends to a more "comfortable" look in terms of fit. That said, the 18aw is not bad. The mid arms are nice and balloony, but again the shoulders are very narrow with a long sleeve. I recall the shoulder being like 45cm on the sz 4 but the sleeve is like 70cm or something. Body is still cropped, and has a bit of a balloon in the mid section like the repro. Best way to put it is repro style, with visvim signature fit from that era

Here's a 4 on me (~6'1, 180), I sold the collage and kept the black iteration from 18aw, collage fabric was too delicate

1607069765096.png

And the 18aw black
1607069937479.png

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers @Fycus, thats exactly what I needed. I think a 4 would be OK for me. I know what you mean about the arms. My SS101 is a 5 as its the only one that fits my body, but the arms are slightly over my hand, which irks me. I have the same problem with some of my EG shirts and Veilance Monitor Down. Essentially I am not a fan of long arms.

The ballon element is not as bad as I thought. It was just hard to get inspired by some of the fits online from END etc as they are very bland/fucitonal poses from the model.

I have been looking at the ss20 version as well and have been trying to avoid a repro fit if I can, hence avoiding The Real McCoy's etc.

I was looking at the albacore Thorson, but may give it a miss after your feedback on the collage.

Retlas

Reaction score
Have both, thorson is more versatile but as you said outside of materials and overall quality its not too unique.

Chrimbus came early:

Really hope I can stretch these, the instep is so shallow and with the heelcup are so tough to get on. Thankfully they seem long enough in the toebox
View attachment 1509785

Got this grease for a steal, pretty happy. Thankfully even with the narrow shoulders its fine with a hoodie underneath. Excuse the pajama fit lol
PXL_20201203_202236718.png

Love these mate... Interesting re the pain in getting them on. I had the same many moons ago with my Redwing Engineer boots

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How come this guy still hasn't been banned?

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh my bad, I didn't know I wasn't allowed to post that. I just thought you guys would enjoy, sorry

Well I am no expert, but afaik it's against forum rules to join the forum just to push stuff you're selling. That's why the forum has affiliate vendors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads