• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was at the presale today in the Tokyo store and ended up liking the Harrier more than I thought I would. Got one in black. Also was a fan of the purple bandana shirt. Gifford pants are cool, but ultimately too wide for my height.

How's the sizing? Terrified I got it too big, but arms are a major concern for me. Went TTS

Contrary Warrior

Reaction score
How do you recommend sizing the amplus and jumbo tees? Tts or down 1?
I went down 1 size for my jumbo hoodies for a closer to body yet still relaxed fit that I can layer. For the Amplus I went TTS because I wanted to wear it for the fit it was intended and it worked out.

shopcanoeclub

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@schuermang yup!! Plenty. I'm hoping to start receiving the bulk of my Fall stuff (from all brands) here in the next couple of weeks. Everything is just running slightly behind. Some cool Vis gear, particularly shoes coming.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How's the sizing? Terrified I got it too big, but arms are a major concern for me. Went TTS

I'm usually a 2, but got the 1. I think it is similar fitting to the Iris Jacket (not liner) from SS20. Arm length is similar as well. Keep in mind that I prefer sizing down when in between sizes.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the waist belt on the Harrier?

It's a cool little detail to keep the jacket closed in case you don't want to zip all the way up, but I'm unsure how functional it will be in real life. It looks neat unused as well.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm usually a 2, but got the 1. I think it is similar fitting to the Iris Jacket (not liner) from SS20. Arm length is similar as well. Keep in mind that I prefer sizing down when in between sizes.

Thanks- I tried the 3 on the 20ss which fit more on the trim side but was still okay, however with this I'm a bit nervous about the down baffling. Is there less room in the armpit/arms compared to the traditional iris?

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks- I tried the 3 on the 20ss which fit more on the trim side but was still okay, however with this I'm a bit nervous about the down baffling. Is there less room in the armpit/arms compared to the traditional iris?

Hm, I don't remember it feeling more constricting. I can't compare right now because I am having it shipped to me. I got the 20ss Iris in size 1 as well if that helps.

GunwashAce

Reaction score
Why a Visvim fishtail parka over a Real McCoy's?

Trying to justify the Vis price these days but it gets harder and harder with each season, especially with items that aren't unique. I feel like the question could also be asked, why a Thorson and not a RMC MA-1?

Contrary Warrior

Reaction score
Why a Visvim fishtail parka over a Real McCoy's?

Trying to justify the Vis price these days but it gets harder and harder with each season, especially with items that aren't unique. I feel like the question could also be asked, why a Thorson and not a RMC MA-1?

Is Real McCoy dyed in Unicorn tears or hand sewn yarn up with real Minotaur hair?

Didn’t think so.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, seriously though, for me there’s just some designs from Visvim that are the perfect iteration of that style. The difference in details may be slight but it makes all the, um, difference. Prices are too high for me on most new things but I’ll wait if i have to for 2nd hand.
As an example I’ve seen a lot of loner jackets posted as alternatives to the Vis and none of them would satisfy me. I’m pretty particular though, even a Vis in another color besides the one I want won’t do. Why I fixate on some item like that is something I can’t answer.
Bottom line is if you just want a particular type of item Vis is not worth it. If you think you’ll be staring at the Vis after you get the alternative, skip the alternative and save up.

Contrary Warrior

Reaction score
In all seriousness, it’s a legitimate question to ask. Real McCoy produces great quality, well constructed jackets with great attention to detail. You really can’t go wrong choosing RM over Vis like for like. Their classic A-2 jacket is top notch.

Aside from the quality of materials, construction, and soon to be obsolete vintage production methods as well as the story the brand evokes, I like the way VISVIM fits me. The style, which runs the gamut from Edo period Japan to Native American to Americana and military workwear aesthetics, is timeless and fun. If you browse the Lookbook from 8 years ago, the pieces remain stylish and relevant.

The prices can be hard to justify for full retail at times, especially when import duties are applied to US retail, but I can guarantee that you’ll have that Fishtail Parka for years to come and since production is so low and limited, it will be one of a kind.

GunwashAce

Reaction score
Yep, these are all excellent points. I'm a huge fan of the Vis fit but moving at the end of the month from NYC to Austin, so I don't think i can justify spending $$$$ and adding to an already bloated jacket collection. I'll keep my eyes peeled for deals on Grailed.

QUESTION TWO: Who makes Vis Robes? the GYALPO ROBE IT looks amazing, even though I can't justify getting a shearling robe for Texas. Maybe they don't outsource these items, but I've always wanted a shearling or fur lined robe.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, these are all excellent points. I'm a huge fan of the Vis fit but moving at the end of the month from NYC to Austin, so I don't think i can justify spending $$$$ and adding to an already bloated jacket collection. I'll keep my eyes peeled for deals on Grailed.

QUESTION TWO: Who makes Vis Robes? the GYALPO ROBE IT looks amazing, even though I can't justify getting a shearling robe for Texas. Maybe they don't outsource these items, but I've always wanted a shearling or fur lined robe.

Winters are actually pretty chilly at night the further West in Texas you go. I'm not sure about Austin, but even in Dallas I'd often be wearing a thick winter coat in the winter. I think the biggest difference is you don't need to layer to stay warm.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was at the trunk show today. Lots of good stuff. Particularly liked a women's camo fishtail (seemed sort of unisex) as well as the other camo coats (sanjuro). Seems like there's a new style of kimono jacket as well.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics