1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

*** Visvim thread: Dissertation on a Japanese Holy Spirit ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by g transistor, Jul 3, 2014.

1. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

I think you are in the clear if you have the box and all the accessories (holograms, etc) though. Or have they started faking those too? All of the fake stuff I've seen doesn't come with a box.

1 person likes this.
  2. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

My bad for the coffee induced neurotic sizing discussion. So, here's a video about virgils I just came across...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    2 people like this.
  3. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

They have faked box and holos, just check taobao

4. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

That video is such drivel. The guy is sewing poundmaker boots not virgils. They dressed him in a visvim shirt ($400 retail) and he's in a quiet space handmaking the boots. I can guarantee that is the polar opposite of the Chinese factories that these are made in, but they are trying to portray their goods in a specific light. Let it be known that while visvim is awesome their marketing puts the brand in a very specific light, don't let the technical terminology or imagery fool you

5. ILikeBacon

ILikeBacon Senior member

6. Emixam

Emixam Senior member

I have to agree : KNGR are very narrow, I suggest going TTS

7. Emixam

Emixam Senior member

I believe skagway have a removable insole just like the Kiefer, so you will be fine

8. g transistor

There is this quote from Hiroki in a GQ interview that I came across while I was looking for reasons as to why Vis manufactures lots of footwear in China.

GQ: What are some of your favorite pieces from the women's collection, designed by your wife Kelsi?
    Nakamura: I love the Handsewn Goodyear shoes. It's expensive, but we work with manufacturers in China who do it by hand. It's going to be more difficult to do a handsewn Goodyear welt. It's the Goodyear construction, but the upper, mid-sole, and welt are sewn by hand instead of using a machine. It's time consuming, and I don't even know if we can make something like this in a few years. There are no factories like that in Japan anymore, and it might happen to America too.

But I am not sure I buy it. He is a businessman after all, and the brand is very good with marketing. That said, I liked the video because it's very... Visvim-y. Very characteristic of the atmosphere they outwardly portray

I just did a quick search and didn't see anything with holos or the real visvim boxes. Lots of things will give it away, especially on the boxes there are lots of small details like Visvim branded stickers that seal the box, lettering, etc. I know people who have bought vis knock offs from Taobao before and in all honesty I was very impressed with the quality of the fakes, but they didn't come with a vis box or any of the dressings. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they did start doing it, considering they hopped onto the colored TPU train too. I remember reading on fuk and sufu that someone has bought legit stuff from taobao through HK resellers, but then again it's their word on authenticity so I can't be sure.

9. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Senior member

I might be over thinking this but what do you guys wear with FBT's? Just jeans, cuffed/uncuffed, maybe something a bit more drapey than denim. I'm at a bit of a loss for some reason. Have always wanted a pair and quite fancy these ones. Price doesn't seem as insane as usual either.

[​IMG]

10. chimpskibot

chimpskibot Well-Known Member

Your really overthinking it. I wear my fbts with whatever I want shorts, jeans, chinos, but personally I wouldn't recommend extremely drapey pants as the pant leg opening may eat up the shoes they are very slender

1 person likes this.
  11. asaa1000

asaa1000 Senior member

Anyone know where I can find Christo sandals, not too familiar with visim, but those sandals look perfec.

12. accordion

accordion Senior member

strongly considering copping a pair of used kangaroo virgils, only thing I'm scared away by is the soles, these are pretty worn right? If so how hard is it to get them resoled in the US? Thanks.

[​IMG]

13. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

its as easy as getting any boot resoled.

14. xstevebx

xstevebx New Member

Anyone know where I might find a pair of Skagway Folk Los in Navy size 10? Thanks.

15. Emixam

Emixam Senior member

these soles could still last 2 more years with heavy wear

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  16. accordion

accordion Senior member

Any opinions on the black bison boots vs. the kangaroos?

[​IMG]

vs.

[​IMG]

The Kangaroos are used and cost a little more than 1/2 as much as the bisons, the bisons are new.

17. g transistor

I would go with the kangs. I don't think black virgils look good, and pics of aged kangaroo always look great

18. accordion

accordion Senior member

Thanks, one more question, I'm looking at two identical kangaroos but with two different soles, both about the same price, what's the difference between the models if any? Looks like the first sole is in better condition but the second seems better for winter. The uppers seem to be in the same condition.

#1:
    [​IMG]

#2:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. g transistor

First soles are newer, second soles are from older models, I think 2011. They both perform equally shitty in icy/snowy conditions. I would not recommend it as a "winter" boot. Vibram gets pretty slippery

20. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

They are both vibram soles made for visvim, called the morflex. They were discontinued due to ease of ability to replicate and fast wear. Visvim now does a 4+ piece sole with multiple pieces composing the foam portion then a sheet of diamond pattern rubber as the base of the sole. They also stitch the sole toe to the welt now so it doesn't split. Imo if you want to resole just throw on a Christy. If you send in to visvim for like 180 bones not including shipping you can get it resoled the new way. It also takes 6+ months.