• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Retlas

Reaction score
nuts if that is true. I have had success buying stuff at FIL Japan that was 2 season's old. Cochise boots, brigadier's etc... literally went in whilst visiting and asked on the off chance and staff found stock in the storerooms.
No discount though.

frunk

Reaction score
My proxy also told me they do this. Pretty wild.
I don't think this is accurate. There are plenty of items in stock in LA from when the store opened and from 2018. You have to request it to be pulled from the back (or the santa fe store) typically.

frunk

Reaction score
And while the US webstore is indicative of the actual in-store stock (since they use Clover as a POS and inventory system), the JP/overseas one is not. Those inventories are separate, but as I've been told, trends are often mirrored between in-store and online (more coveted sizes/pieces will tend sell out online and in-store, but by correlation not causation). The EU webstore has footwear from 2016 and 2018...
Mileage varies from JP FIL store to store, but I think "older" season stuff is also available in some quantities in their own store rooms.

pastrystar23

Reaction score
Visvim has always reused fabrics from older seasons. take those plaid caps in the FW22 pics, fabric is from like 2009. They're mostly custom spun, so very coveted. That's why I usually buy based on fabric.

and they're still selling 2016 hockenys on the us vis site. Silhouettes usually don't differ too much overall, it's the materials and finishing and updating in construction that warrant release.

zabo358

Reaction score
I don't think this is accurate. There are plenty of items in stock in LA from when the store opened and from 2018. You have to request it to be pulled from the back (or the santa fe store) typically.
If I had to guess I think the burning of the older items are only done at JPY stores given their stock is much larger. Could be wrong though? Like you said, I know Santa Fe has stuff from 18 that they keep in inventory so def not happening there.

kami

Reaction score
thanks for all the info here! decided to pull the trigger on that overpriced ss20 iris since i can not find any anywhere for sale. hope the light green color is as nice in person!

Hanto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think it unlikely they do this now, especially LVMH. The backlash from brands like H&M doing the same thing has been massive. For a brand like LVMH to do that now would completely contradict any ESG messaging they have.

It seems a waste for Vis to do it too. If you can recycle, then why not. They're hardly going to be burning vintage Kofu fabric surely? They'd be upping their own production costs intentionally by destroying supply!

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems for certain items they are indeed recycling them if they don't sell well. While I cant confirm this, it makes sense why they released the albacore chamdo fishtail after the original didnt sell well, and eventually when the sixfive became long in the tooth, it was released again as albacore. This may also apply to certain ICT items that are just naturally dyed with some handstitching or added distressing. As @pastrystar23 mentioned, they recycle a lot of fabric from aeons ago. I recall seeing the check plaid recently, that was used on longrider, and mies some time ago (maybe 2015ish). My guess is they have to buy crazy yardage since its custom order, and will reuse over the years where possible.

kami

Reaction score
got the ss20 iris in today and i gotta say its one of my favorite pick ups in a while. light green color looks fantastic with the olive hits. reverse actually looks like another jacket versus the other two color options. the fit of a size 4 is bigger than my old size 5 iris and its exactly what i was looking for in terms of layering. almost makes me forget the high usa retail price.

ibn_pengel

Reaction score
Jumbo tee
Carhartt
Virgil

C7E3F71B-0F8C-4A11-B182-9E9104B4797A.jpeg

hobojones

Reaction score
Can someone enlighten me a little more on the spot releases? I’ve been looking for the oversized recent Iris jacket for a long while now and I’m pretty much ready to just grab it at retail since it doesn’t look like it’s showing up anywhere else. I’m not specifically interested in the spot release unless there’s something special about it I’m missing.

Tried it on at Visvim Exposition and it fit like a dream. Based on my googling is it safe to say that my only option for a size 5 Iris jacket would be the one at the store/ NA web shop? Haven’t seen irises at retailers in a few seasons. Thanks all.

Attachments

• 03C81BAD-97C9-4839-97EE-2395272D5155.jpeg
    03C81BAD-97C9-4839-97EE-2395272D5155.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 137

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone enlighten me a little more on the spot releases? I’ve been looking for the oversized recent Iris jacket for a long while now and I’m pretty much ready to just grab it at retail since it doesn’t look like it’s showing up anywhere else. I’m not specifically interested in the spot release unless there’s something special about it I’m missing.

Tried it on at Visvim Exposition and it fit like a dream. Based on my googling is it safe to say that my only option for a size 5 Iris jacket would be the one at the store/ NA web shop? Haven’t seen irises at retailers in a few seasons. Thanks all.

Damn that looks massive on you, might be the angle though.

What do you need to be enlightened on? Spot releases happen at the end of each season and are not part of the regular season.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads