*** Visvim thread: Dissertation on a Japanese Holy Spirit ***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by g transistor, Jul 3, 2014.

1. alex99

alex99 Senior member

Really? These are pretty common words used to describe clothing that does not go out of fashion quickly.

Here is a quote from Hiroki himself about this very subject:

"Nakamura: I prefer to have things I can use for a long time that last. Something like this experimental project [Visvim] is expensive because I'm trying to discover things like old techniques and handmade craftsmanship. So the retail price will be very expensive.

But what I'm trying to do is the best in 2013 or 2014. I'm trying to do the best that I can, at hopefully a reasonable price. I'm also introducing the option that, maybe instead of buying five jackets, you can buy one that will last longer. I want to create things that can be vintage in the future. That's my goal: Future vintage."

http://www.gq.com/story/visvim-hiroki-nakamura-interview

Maybe 10 years is a stretch, but you get what he is saying right? It is the same point I was trying to make, only I think a lot of his clothing will seem out of fashion well before it actually wears out...

2. Gruff

Gruff Senior member

In your friend's parent's case, I think it's less uncomfortable because they're (I assume) Native Americans and are therefore in control of their product. They decide when, where and how to do business and they receive all the rewards from doing so. I imagine it'd be more thorny if it was a non-Native American who was selling "Native American jewelry" in Japan, especially if the marketing was focused on "authenticity."

I do think Hiroki's working a philosophical angle with his designs and I respect that he's also incorporating his life experiences into his work. There's nothing inherently wrong with that. I'm also not particularly enraged over cultural appropriation, since pretty much every culture on earth has done it at some point or another. In some respects it's a basic conduit for how new ideas and innovations diffuse through societies.

It just seems that sometimes there's a fine line between celebration/appreciation and exploitation. But maybe I'm drawing too much on recent hip-hop controversies (see: Iggy Azalea) and comparing apples to oranges here. In the main, Hiroki just seems like a guy who really likes Americana. His prices are still absurd, though.

3. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

5. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

6. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

pretty sure those are the faked model (the crepe in particular had lots of them)

7. phyills

phyills Well-Known Member

That's awesome. What store? I just moved from Albuquerque and spent just about every other weekend in Sante Fe while I was living there. The folks selling their jewelry on blankets around the town square said a lot of the stuff they make doesn't even stay in NM. It goes to Texas, East Coast or Overseas.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  8. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

How can you tell?

9. Fycus

Fycus Senior member

10. el Bert

el Bert Senior member

Damn the laces alone give it away didn't notice it

11. Emixam

Emixam Senior member

fake all the way

12. thief

thief Member

like someone said in previous posts, you buy visvim for visvim. it's similar to why i still buy certain saint laurent footwear (just the wyatt boots); i simply cannot find the 100% exact silhouette, design, quality combined based on my personal desires, in another brand. such is the principle of creating original garments and footwear, i guess. (however the longevity and quality pales in comparison to visvim, i still wear boots from 6 years ago)
    i really don't care about the rest of the slp's overpriced items, but some products justify the expense in a personal manner, therefore i end up buying if i have no opportunity for secondhand. i generally love the concept behind visvim and the elements surrounding the brand. hiroki's designs, like every other fashion designer, will subjectively always lack in aesthetic quality in certain areas, respective of the individual buyer's taste and intentions. this plays a large part in ascribing personal value to each piece, which alone can skew the value of a specific product both positively and negatively. there are a lot of products in the market from every brand that do not justify full retail price. for instance, some would say hender scheme's mip-01 lacks the originality or quality construction to meet the requirements of a $900 price tag.

in the end,
    still gonna cop that sanjuro down bomber

[​IMG]
    (thinking about raising prices)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Only the most bland and the most outlandish pieces are the most "timeless" and "classic". Changes in textiles, small differences in cut, easily date a piece of "classic" clothing. Dad jeans will probably always be with us. And FBTs are some wierd looking shoes that, Kanye aside, don't really fit into any time period. So, if you want something really timeless and classic, wear dad jeans with a pair of FBTs (5).

14. Aaron Kaczander

Aaron Kaczander Member

Looks like we were wrong. Elk suede Virgils are now gone from the site.

15. Emixam

Emixam Senior member

^they are still for sale on the Japanese version