• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

happyvillian

Reaction score
Any sizing advice on the ss18 iris liners? I’m a 3 in Albacore shirts for reference.

Also diggign the new liner vests for fw18. Says its an exclusive release, but any ideas on where to cop one?

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I've admired Visvim for a long time, but it's never really been sold anywhere around here so I actually haven't seen anything in person. However, that might change now that there will be a free trade agreement between the EU and Japan.

Just one question: why is it so expensive? I've seen 500 euro t-shirts online. Is everything handmade in Japan? Is it the quality of the materials? My observation is that Japanese brands tend to be super expensive in Europe compared to Japan (sometimes more than double). Is this also true for Visvim?

Definitely big mark up compared to buying in Japan. You can easily compare prices via the Japan webstore to see how individual items are marked up. Something like 20% - 30%, however this is pretty comparable to buying EU goods in the US.

I'd say prices are pretty comparable to EU luxury goods but with slightly higher quality and more interesting fabrics/treatments.

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks guys. I’ll shop for Visvim next time when I’m in Japan.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I've admired Visvim for a long time, but it's never really been sold anywhere around here so I actually haven't seen anything in person. However, that might change now that there will be a free trade agreement between the EU and Japan.

Just one question: why is it so expensive? I've seen 500 euro t-shirts online. Is everything handmade in Japan? Is it the quality of the materials? My observation is that Japanese brands tend to be super expensive in Europe compared to Japan (sometimes more than double). Is this also true for Visvim?

Visvim is expensive partly because its materials and manufacturing (it's reasonably well made), and the other part you're paying for is design and brand name. It's pretty expensive even at JP retail, but when you add in all the taxes and import stuff, overseas prices become astronomical.

Visvim makes a lot of ugly stuff. Vis also makes a lot of overpriced garbage. The $500 tees are not made for you. They're for John Mayer.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visvim is expensive partly because its materials and manufacturing (it's reasonably well made), and the other part you're paying for is design and brand name. It's pretty expensive even at JP retail, but when you add in all the taxes and import stuff, overseas prices become astronomical.

Visvim makes a lot of ugly stuff. Vis also makes a lot of overpriced garbage. The $500 tees are not made for you. They're for John Mayer.

Agree on the prices. What would you classify as “ugly”?

GunwashAce

Reaction score
Any sizing advice on the ss18 iris liners? I’m a 3 in Albacore shirts for reference.

Also diggign the new liner vests for fw18. Says its an exclusive release, but any ideas on where to cop one?

I'm pretty much a 3 across the board in Visvim except I go for a size 4 for Lhamo and Sanjuro pieces because of the shoulder construction. I have a size 3 albacore which is slightly roomy on me and a size 3 iris liner, so it should fit you perfectly. if you want to layer a sweatshirt or sweater underneath consider a size 4. You could maybe pull layering off with a 3 but it might be a bit tight in the shoulders. At first I was bummed the ss18 had a synthetic fill and wasn't a wool liner, but I got past that and it's one of my favorite pieces in my chilly weather wardrobe.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are pretty fugly:
https://www.barneys.com/product/visvim-yucca-moc-shaman-suede-moccasin-sneakers-505589117.html

I also think Christos and Trappers are some of the ugliest things I've ever seen, although I do understand there's some historical/cultural background to the latter.

Not a fan of the Shamans either. Prefer the regular FBT.
Love the look of Christos in the right color. To each his own I suppose. Kind of like Birks, a lot of folks I think of as well dressed love them but they look hideous to me.

happyvillian

Reaction score
I'm pretty much a 3 across the board in Visvim except I go for a size 4 for Lhamo and Sanjuro pieces because of the shoulder construction. I have a size 3 albacore which is slightly roomy on me and a size 3 iris liner, so it should fit you perfectly. if you want to layer a sweatshirt or sweater underneath consider a size 4. You could maybe pull layering off with a 3 but it might be a bit tight in the shoulders. At first I was bummed the ss18 had a synthetic fill and wasn't a wool liner, but I got past that and it's one of my favorite pieces in my chilly weather wardrobe.

Thank you! That’s just the advice I was looking for. Found that I needed to size up to a 4 for the 101 jacket to layer stuff underneath. Sounds like the iris liner would be similar.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally you wanna use the Iris as a layer and not as the outer most shell. I'm usually a 2/3 and I've gotten a 2 for the Iris Liner in the past.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in between 3 and 4 and I sold my size 3 for the iris in favor of a 4. Long story short the shoulders were too small on the 3 and it was uncomfortable and unforgiving to wear. The 4 fits more comfortably with less fuss and I wear it more often. Take it with a grain of salt, vis isn't suited for my bodytype (very broad shoulders, bigger arms), unless the item is oversized or boxy.

supermang

Reaction score
I'm in between 3 and 4 and I sold my size 3 for the iris in favor of a 4. Long story short the shoulders were too small on the 3 and it was uncomfortable and unforgiving to wear. The 4 fits more comfortably with less fuss and I wear it more often. Take it with a grain of salt, vis isn't suited for my bodytype (very broad shoulders, bigger arms), unless the item is oversized or boxy.

What are your measurements for reference? I haven't copped any Vis tops from recent seasons specifically because the weird ass sizing on certain pieces

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm roughly 187cm (~6'1") and 180 lbs. Usually need at least 22" p2p to fit comfortably and 17.5" shoulders. Vis size 3 is usually 16.5" shoulders and 20-21" p2p for size 3.

Civilist

Reaction score
After countless years I finally pulled the trigger on kngr virgils, and of course this season they come with flat laces. I'm guessing vis doesn't sell extra laces so anyone know where I can get good rope laces in dark brown? Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics