• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visiting Tokyo in April - Streetwear Shops and Must Visits!

jays978

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm visiting Tokyo in mid April for a week and was hoping for some shopping recommendations.

I'm a big fan of denim, Flathead and RJB are my favorites. I know of "2nd" as a shop that carries many Japanese denim brands. Are there any others you would suggest. Also below is a list of brands that I like to wear on a daily basis. Thanks in advance and all recommendations are welcomed!

- Flat Head
- RJB
- Bape
- Supreme
- Visvim
- Uniqlo - are there any similar brands that are only in Japan?
- RLBL
- Nike

sciphiyem

Reaction score
Beams is similar to Uniqlo but slightly more upmarket.

Pure Blue Japan shop is great.

There are so many shops in Tokyo, don't spend your whole time shopping!

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I liked the Johnbull store when I was in Tokyo. Their range is an interesting mix of denim, tech and streetwear. Products under their own brand are reasonably affordable ($USD100-$USD200 for pants and outerwear) but they also stock Acronym and a few other high end techwear pieces. I'd never heard of them before wandering into their shop at Daikanyama, but ended up buying a pair of pants there that I've been quite happy with so far. Have a fun trip.

Brian SD

Reaction score
The closest thing to Uniqlo is called GU, it's like the Pepsi to Uniqlo's Coke. The clothes are not as nice though, and they don't have designer collaborations.

Bears in Shimokitazawa is a good place to check for denim. They have in-house collabs with denim makers like Japan Blue, Eternal and Kojima, sometimes coming under 10,000 yen ($85-ish). They carry a lot of good repro denim.

I don't find Beams to be much like Uniqlo, they're much more curated and each shop is fairly unique. The main Beams shop in Harajuku will have stuff that aligns with the brands you listed, lots of technical wear though probably not the same brands.

philmo84

Reaction score
if you like outerwear, check out nanamica and white moutaineering

sciphiyem

Reaction score

The closest thing to Uniqlo is called GU, it's like the Pepsi to Uniqlo's Coke. The clothes are not as nice though, and they don't have designer collaborations.

I don't find Beams to be much like Uniqlo, they're much more curated and each shop is fairly unique. The main Beams shop in Harajuku will have stuff that aligns with the brands you listed, lots of technical wear though probably not the same brands.

Maybe I forgot the Beams store, but I remembered a lot of Beams+ basic stuff that felt uniqlo-ish

jays978

Reaction score

Beams is similar to Uniqlo but slightly more upmarket.

Pure Blue Japan shop is great.

There are so many shops in Tokyo, don't spend your whole time shopping!

Thanks so much! I will most definitely be stuffing my face most of the time. I figured I'd need breaks from eating and would get some recommendations for some light shopping :)

If there are any food recommendations, please do not hesitate.

calibar

Reaction score
check out the WTAPS store and MUJI as well, similar to Uniqlo and much more selection than US versions. quality is potent for the price

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Denim/Americana/Workwear: Hinoya & Americaya in Ueno. Is Base Control still a thing? That has a Uniqlo vibe to it, as far as basics go.

Other than that, just stick to Shibuya (Harajuku/Omotesando area) for the majority of shops.

Personally, I am a huge fan of the resell/consignment/second hand shops in Japan, namely Kindal and Rag Tag (Jumble Store, to a lesser extent). Both have a good number of locations in Tokyo.

sciphiyem

Reaction score

Thanks so much! I will most definitely be stuffing my face most of the time. I figured I'd need breaks from eating and would get some recommendations for some light shopping :)

If there are any food recommendations, please do not hesitate.

If you're up for taking a break from Japanese food - Life Son restaurant is a very cool spot - http://www.kinfolk.com/city_guide/tokyo-life-son/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads