• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visiting Seattle: What to do?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my girlfriend and I are planning a little trip down to Seattle for 3 nights in mid-December, looking for suggestions on where to go for sightseeing and shopping.

Planning on staying at the Best Western Executive Inn on Taylor, nothing fancy.

One place I hoping to go to is the Experience the Music Project; is that worth checking out?

My gf is really looking forward to shopping, so some good hotspots for that would be great.

Thanks

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The EMP is cool if you're really into music/music memorabilia. Tickets are expensive last time I checked though.

For shopping, most of our gems are our small boutiques that we have throughout the city, but we also of course have the flagship Nordstrom store. Main spots for these will be all along 1st Ave for the independent shops (I recommend to at least stop into Polite Society on 1st in Belltown), and the Pike/Pine streets for the large retailers (Nordstrom, Barney's, Mario's, the Rack, etc.).

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're into architecture, you owe yourself to visit the public library designed by Rem Koolhas. It's very cool and so smartly organized in a way that is very flexible.

http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildi...c_Library.html

The Olympic Sculpture Park is quite nice if you get decent weather

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hang out with The Man (j) and The Man Behind The Man (Tokyo Slim).

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Hang out with The Man (j) and The Man Behind The Man (Tokyo Slim).

I don't think my girlfriend would be too happy with the idea of meeting two men I met on the internet on our vacation
tounge.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Understandable. The recommendations in the other Seattle threads still stand - I don't know of anything especially new I'd recommend, except for the standard touristy things.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I am more like "The man who lives in the same general geographical region as the man, and occasionally crashes on the man's couch"

I'm not really "behind" anyone or anything. That is far too nefarious sounding.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to the waterfront to Ivars and have a cup of clam chowder and some fries. They have a walk up window. It is great chowder and you can throw a few extra fries to the seagulls.

Take the ferry to one of the islands, even if you stay on it for the return to downtown.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
It is great chowder and you can throw a few extra fries to the seagulls.
Please don't do this. Instead, sit inside and then watch all the dumb tourists get mauled by birds when they try to feed them. It's not pretty.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was thinking hopefully the fries might help kill the birds off, but yeah. They are horrible creatures. It's been proven that they can spot freshly washed and waxed BMW Schwarz from 3-4 miles away.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend Teatro ZinZanni. It's a crazy dinner-circus performance thing (as opposed to dinner-theater). With good food. TS recommended it to me a couple years back for a business trip my (now) wife joined me on.

http://www.teatrozinzanni.com

b

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Go to the waterfront to Ivars and have a cup of clam chowder and some fries. They have a walk up window. It is great chowder and you can throw a few extra fries to the seagulls.

Take the ferry to one of the islands, even if you stay on it for the return to downtown.

+1,000,000 on Ivar's. I prefer the red chowder with side order of salmon and chips.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You guys really like Ivar's? I've never had something there that was very good. Maybe I'm eating the wrong stuff. There is a sit down place near there that has a Dungeness crab meal for like $20-25 which is very decent for lunch. If I had to recommend any particular food to have, it would be Dungeness while you're here. It kicks the crap out of any lobster or any other kind of crab I've ever had. Then again I'm sure BC has no shortage of seafood.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I highly recommend Teatro ZinZanni. It's a crazy dinner-circus performance thing (as opposed to dinner-theater). With good food. TS recommended it to me a couple years back for a business trip my (now) wife joined me on. http://www.teatrozinzanni.com b
I still can't believe how expensive this has gotten. The time I went, tickets were like $68 or something. Jeez. It is a hell of a show/dinner though, so glad you (and the little lady!) liked it.
Originally Posted by j
You guys really like Ivar's? I've never had something there that was very good. Maybe I'm eating the wrong stuff. There is a sit down place near there that has a Dungeness crab meal for like $20-25 which is very decent for lunch. If I had to recommend any particular food to have, it would be Dungeness while you're here. It kicks the crap out of any lobster or any other kind of crab I've ever had. Then again I'm sure BC has no shortage of seafood.
I think J is weird for not liking lobster, but +1 on Ivars not being anything super special. Jack's Fish Spot in Pike Place Market is better, for fish and chips IMO. Also there's a place in West Seattle on Alki thats pretty good if you find yourself over there. I can't find a web presence, and I have to go to work, but it's called Sunfish. Also, you should give this place a try: Palace Kitchen Full Menu till 1am!

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's be honest here -- if you're coming from Vancouver area, the problem will be finding things in Seattle that aren't way better in Vancouver.

Any Asian food or seafood-- don't bother.

Avoid driving when possible.... traffic is bad, and Northwesterners are the worst drivers ever.

Most of the typical touristy things are probably a safe bet, like space needle, etc. I don't recommend the underground tour though.

Restaurant recommendations... Tango Tapas, The Lark. If you happen to go to Ballard: Di Vino.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads