• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visiting Northern England

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My brother and I will be traveling to Northern England in early May to do a through-hike of the Hadrian's Wall path (roughly from Newcastle to Carlisle). For those familiar with the environs, do you have any recommendations about things we might see and do? We'll be on the trail much of the time, but will have a few extra days to explore the local area.

MLIW

Reaction score
Newcastle has some nice places, but generally it not the greatest same with Carlisle both are not the greatest places, Pretty rough too

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MLIW
Newcastle has some nice places, but generally it not the greatest same with Carlisle both are not the greatest places, Pretty rough too

How so? Since we'll literally be walking through both cities, is there anything we should look out for?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Roman forts are your cup of tea there are plenty of those on route.

Haltwhistle is a pleasant little town.

Tidybeard

Reaction score
Head for the Lake District. Try Buttermere, Grasmere and Consiton as towns to look at rather than the very touristy (but equally beautiful) Ambleside, Keswick and Bowness.

If you like cities, Liverpool and Manchester have plenty going on. Liverpool even has some cultural significance and a proper football team.....
devil.gif

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
northern England? not sure of the exact geography but if you happen upon Penrith, go to the Penrith Tea Rooms and order cake and the finest wines known to humanity.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Christ, that sounds like an amazing trip, particularly to do with one's brother.. Where'd you get the idea from? Not the usual weekend in Vegas most brothers tend to do..

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Christ, that sounds like an amazing trip, particularly to do with one's brother.. Where'd you get the idea from? Not the usual weekend in Vegas most brothers tend to do..

I'm a backpacker by hobby, so I've known about the Hadrian's Wall path for a few years now. It's been something I've wanted to do, but have never been able to arrange. My brother suggested we do a backpacking trip together, and I recommended the path. He's been to the UK a few times on tour with his band, but has never really had a proper chance to see the country.

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
My brother and I will be traveling to Northern England in early May to do a through-hike of the Hadrian's Wall path (roughly from Newcastle to Carlisle). For those familiar with the environs, do you have any recommendations about things we might see and do? We'll be on the trail much of the time, but will have a few extra days to explore the local area.

It's definitely worth going to Durham for the day - its just south of Newcastle. The Cathedral is world famous.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a backpacker by hobby, so I've known about the Hadrian's Wall path for a few years now. It's been something I've wanted to do, but have never been able to arrange. My brother suggested we do a backpacking trip together, and I recommended the path. He's been to the UK a few times on tour with his band, but has never really had a proper chance to see the country.

Sounds like a great trip.. Take lots of pics and start a thread when you get back! How long does the hike take in total?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

VG - I'm curious to know if your preference for things 'vintage' extends to your trekking clobber? Canvas rucksack, etc.? I just read a NYT piece on the Milford Track - put it on your list!

http://www.milfordtrack.net/

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tidybeard
Head for the Lake District. Try Buttermere, Grasmere and Consiton as towns to look at rather than the very touristy (but equally beautiful) Ambleside, Keswick and Bowness.

I'll second this ... I was there in 1998 and had a wonderful time hiking in the Lake District. You can jump on a train from London and get to Ambleside in a few hours.

There are more than just pretty hiking sights. There are a few castles in the area; UK Naval Intelligence has an outpost in one (Wray Castle). You can also see the home of poet William Wordsworth, which has a very nice garden. I seem to recall that Beatrix Potter also came from the Lake District.

The memorable moment for the trip was when my buddy and I saw a Harrier fly UNDER us ... we were so close we could see the pilot's faceshield.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Sounds like a great trip.. Take lots of pics and start a thread when you get back! How long does the hike take in total?

If I recall, it's 84 miles. I could do it in four days, but we'll probably take 6-7 to give us more time to soak up the local color.

Originally Posted by romafan
VG - I'm curious to know if your preference for things 'vintage' extends to your trekking clobber? Canvas rucksack, etc.?

In this, no. In the parlance of the genre, I'm an ultralight backpacker, keeping things as light and minimalist as possible, while still keeping safety in mind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads