1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Visiting Northern England

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Vintage Gent, Mar 2, 2009.

1. kaxixi

kaxixi Senior member

Head for the Lake District. Try Buttermere, Grasmere and Consiton as towns to look at rather than the very touristy (but equally beautiful) Ambleside, Keswick and Bowness.

VG, have fun. I second Tidybeard's recommendation for the Lake District. You'll probably be all walked out, but there's plenty of relaxation to be had.

2. Tangfastic

Tangfastic Senior member

holy moly! it was a 55 min ride to Brighton and 2 tickets cost 32 GBP round trip. the train was fairly empty so we sat in first class anyways (the train attendents let us)

Standard off peak is £40 return, cheapest advanced return is £15 - its prohibitively expensive without planning...
    Sounds like you got a decent price for the Brighton trip!

3. juniper

juniper Senior member

Book tickets in advance. Off-peak to go from Cambridge to Birmingham and return = 60 pounds. Booked a couple of weeks in advance on specific trains (you must get on the outbound and return trains at exactly the times you say you will) = 16 pounds.

"Saver Return" is the name of standard returns where you go on any off-peak train on a particular day, and return any off-peak service within a month.

4. juniper

juniper Senior member

http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.co.uk is the best booking site. You can buy the tickets in advance, and stick your credit card into a machine at whatever major station you arrive at to print the tickets off.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

My brother and I will be traveling to Northern England in early May to do a through-hike of the Hadrian's Wall path (roughly from Newcastle to Carlisle). For those familiar with the environs, do you have any recommendations about things we might see and do? We'll be on the trail much of the time, but will have a few extra days to explore the local area.

fuck, I am so fucking jealous I could scream. have fun.

6. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

fuck, I am so fucking jealous I could scream. have fun.

Wow, that's something that I'd never thought that I would hear in my life. Someone jealous of a trip up north. Just kidding. Some beautiful country side up there, despite the rather grim cities/ towns of the region.

If you like cities, Liverpool and Manchester have plenty going on. Liverpool even has some cultural significance and a proper football team.....[​IMG]

That'd be Everton then.

7. MJC8719x

MJC8719x Senior member

I just read a NYT piece on the Milford Track - put it on your list!

http://www.milfordtrack.net/

Heres a link to the original article:
    http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/01/18...18explore.html

I was there this past summer, and it is absolutely amazing. I couldn't do the tramp because it was winter, but I did a tour through the fjordland area and went to the Milford Sound.

Its one of those places you really have to visit if you ever head to NZ.

8. nate10184

nate10184 Senior member

Sounds great and especially with your brother.

I just booked a flight with a college buddy to Zurich, finally doing the trip we've been talking about for 5 years. This reminds me I need to create a similar thread.

9. Tidybeard

Tidybeard Senior member

http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.co.uk is the best booking site. You can buy the tickets in advance, and stick your credit card into a machine at whatever major station you arrive at to print the tickets off.

This is the site to book your ticket from London to Newcastle, the equivalent for your trip from Carlisle to London (which is run by a different operator) is www.virgintrains.co.uk. I do this trip fairly often and it will take around 4 hours.

I have just checked the prices and if you just turn up and buy a ticket it will cost you £133 each, one way. If you use the above website and pick the right train, you can get it for £28. I would imagine the figures are similar for the London-Newcastle trip. Our trains are expensive enough even with the maximum discounts, don't let them screw you for the full rate.

Bear in mind that you'll be leaving from Kings Cross station in London and coming back into Euston. They are only about a mile apart and you can walk between them if necessary, don't let a taxi charge you a fortune if you need to get back to Kings Cross!

Good luck, you'll have a great time (you can take a train detour into Northampton if you have time.....).

10. Tidybeard

Tidybeard Senior member

That'd be Everton then.

Tranmere Rovers[​IMG]

11. ysc

ysc Senior member

Be slightly cautious in town centres at night, particularly Friday or Saturday. We has a lot more casual/booze violence than in the US, most people I know from the states are shocked, you are not likely to get robbed in Britain, but at night in certain areas you have a reasonable chance of getting punched in the face for no reason what so ever. Just if you see a bunch of loud/drunk guys in track suits or heavily distressed jeans be cautious, they may not want to punch you in the face, but then again they might.

12. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Lindisfarne is pretty cool [​IMG]

13. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Thanks for the replies. We're working on getting our train tickets now.

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Just if you see a bunch of loud/drunk guys in track suits or heavily distressed jeans be cautious, they may not want to punch you in the face, but then again they might.

damn casuals!

15. romafan

romafan Senior member

damn casuals!

neds, methinks.

16. mr. magoo

mr. magoo Senior member

Be slightly cautious in town centres at night, particularly Friday or Saturday. We has a lot more casual/booze violence than in the US, most people I know from the states are shocked, you are not likely to get robbed in Britain, but at night in certain areas you have a reasonable chance of getting punched in the face for no reason what so ever.

Perhaps they could use carry and conceal laws. Punch the wrong fellow where I grew up in the States, and it's possible you'll get a gunshot wound in return.

17. ysc

ysc Senior member

Perhaps they could use carry and conceal laws. Punch the wrong fellow where I grew up in the States, and it's possible you'll get a gunshot wound in return.

That's just what we need, drunken idiots with guns. No, given my countrymen's propensity to get drunk and fight I feel that being able to carry handguns would not improve the situation.
    I know the idea is that the decent people have guns and thus the criminals don't want to rob them but at the moment it is actually damn hard to get a handgun, to the extent that even serious criminals rent them for occasional use and only really serious drug dealers etc. actually have their own, even then they are often converted replica guns or seriously old and crappy.
    Any measure that makes guns easier to get for some people will also make them easier to get for criminals/random violent dickheads.
    Despite the way our media occasionally plays it "guns flood into london" very few people get shot and very few criminals have guns, making guns more available is a bad idea for Britain.
    More handguns + our culture of casual violence = shit loads of dead people.

18. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Sounds like a great trip.. Take lots of pics and start a thread when you get back! How long does the hike take in total?

Although it's a little belated, here's the first half of the pics from the trip:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4491626...7622857783458/

19. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

Nice pics. Charity Supergirl, too.

20. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Fantastic pics VG, thanks so much for posting those..