Visiting Northern England

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Vintage Gent, Mar 2, 2009.

1. AndrewRogers

AndrewRogers Senior member

I'm a backpacker by hobby, so I've known about the Hadrian's Wall path for a few years now. It's been something I've wanted to do, but have never been able to arrange. My brother suggested we do a backpacking trip together, and I recommended the path. He's been to the UK a few times on tour with his band, but has never really had a proper chance to see the country.

You will have a ball [​IMG]

2. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Need some advice. My brother and I will be flying into London and taking the train to Newcastle (back to London from Carlisle at the end of the trip). What's the best way to secure inexpensive train tickets? Should we order in advance or buy them once we get there? And how much should we expect to pay.

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Need some advice. My brother and I will be flying into London and taking the train to Newcastle (back to London from Carlisle at the end of the trip). What's the best way to secure inexpensive train tickets? Should we order in advance or buy them once we get there? And how much should we expect to pay.

when we went to Brighton we just bought the tickets right there at Victoria station, I would assume that you dont need to get them in advance to Newcastle either

I found that if you get an open ticket where you can come back anytime it cost more than a closed ticket where you had to come back on a specific train

iirc it was 16GBP to Brighton for a roundtrip closed ticket, so a similar trip to Newcastle should be around the same I'm guessing

4. Tangfastic

Tangfastic Senior member

Definitely buy in advance! Our trains are more than twice as expensive as the next most expensive in the world! For example, a second class return ticket bought at peak times (before 9.30 am and after 4 pm - ie commuter times) from my town to London costs £107 - its a 55 minute journey. first class costs £175. If you are going to buy a ticket on the day at least make sure you don't have to travel at peak times (you'll be packed in in great discomfort as well). You can get very reasonable tickets booking in advance. You have to be careful not to miss your train though as the cheapest tickets aren't transferable or valid for refund. Qjump is a good site to book in advance and check routes and times: http://www.qjump.co.uk/ Its worth checking the prices of single advance tickets - its often cheaper to get two singles than a return. I'm envious of your trip - hope you have good weather and take plenty of pictures!

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

(before 9.30 am and after 4 pm - ie commuter times) from my town to London costs £107 - its a 55 minute journey. first class costs £175.

holy moly! it was a 55 min ride to Brighton and 2 tickets cost 32 GBP round trip. the train was fairly empty so we sat in first class anyways (the train attendents let us)

6. kaxixi

kaxixi Senior member

Head for the Lake District. Try Buttermere, Grasmere and Consiton as towns to look at rather than the very touristy (but equally beautiful) Ambleside, Keswick and Bowness.

VG, have fun. I second Tidybeard's recommendation for the Lake District. You'll probably be all walked out, but there's plenty of relaxation to be had.

7. Tangfastic

Tangfastic Senior member

holy moly! it was a 55 min ride to Brighton and 2 tickets cost 32 GBP round trip. the train was fairly empty so we sat in first class anyways (the train attendents let us)

Standard off peak is £40 return, cheapest advanced return is £15 - its prohibitively expensive without planning...
    Sounds like you got a decent price for the Brighton trip!

8. juniper

juniper Senior member

Book tickets in advance. Off-peak to go from Cambridge to Birmingham and return = 60 pounds. Booked a couple of weeks in advance on specific trains (you must get on the outbound and return trains at exactly the times you say you will) = 16 pounds.

"Saver Return" is the name of standard returns where you go on any off-peak train on a particular day, and return any off-peak service within a month.

9. juniper

juniper Senior member

http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.co.uk is the best booking site. You can buy the tickets in advance, and stick your credit card into a machine at whatever major station you arrive at to print the tickets off.

10. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

My brother and I will be traveling to Northern England in early May to do a through-hike of the Hadrian's Wall path (roughly from Newcastle to Carlisle). For those familiar with the environs, do you have any recommendations about things we might see and do? We'll be on the trail much of the time, but will have a few extra days to explore the local area.

fuck, I am so fucking jealous I could scream. have fun.

11. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

fuck, I am so fucking jealous I could scream. have fun.

Wow, that's something that I'd never thought that I would hear in my life. Someone jealous of a trip up north. Just kidding. Some beautiful country side up there, despite the rather grim cities/ towns of the region.

If you like cities, Liverpool and Manchester have plenty going on. Liverpool even has some cultural significance and a proper football team.....[​IMG]

That'd be Everton then.

12. MJC8719x

MJC8719x Senior member

I just read a NYT piece on the Milford Track - put it on your list!

http://www.milfordtrack.net/

Heres a link to the original article:
    http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/01/18...18explore.html

I was there this past summer, and it is absolutely amazing. I couldn't do the tramp because it was winter, but I did a tour through the fjordland area and went to the Milford Sound.

Its one of those places you really have to visit if you ever head to NZ.

13. nate10184

nate10184 Senior member

Sounds great and especially with your brother.

I just booked a flight with a college buddy to Zurich, finally doing the trip we've been talking about for 5 years. This reminds me I need to create a similar thread.

14. Tidybeard

Tidybeard Senior member

http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.co.uk is the best booking site. You can buy the tickets in advance, and stick your credit card into a machine at whatever major station you arrive at to print the tickets off.

This is the site to book your ticket from London to Newcastle, the equivalent for your trip from Carlisle to London (which is run by a different operator) is www.virgintrains.co.uk. I do this trip fairly often and it will take around 4 hours.

I have just checked the prices and if you just turn up and buy a ticket it will cost you £133 each, one way. If you use the above website and pick the right train, you can get it for £28. I would imagine the figures are similar for the London-Newcastle trip. Our trains are expensive enough even with the maximum discounts, don't let them screw you for the full rate.

Bear in mind that you'll be leaving from Kings Cross station in London and coming back into Euston. They are only about a mile apart and you can walk between them if necessary, don't let a taxi charge you a fortune if you need to get back to Kings Cross!

Good luck, you'll have a great time (you can take a train detour into Northampton if you have time.....).

15. Tidybeard

Tidybeard Senior member

That'd be Everton then.

Tranmere Rovers[​IMG]