• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visiting London May 4th-9th

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Myself and 4 other guys will be visiting London in May. Is there any good Distillery's to visit in London?

Also any good places for a whiskey tasting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got no opinions on this one, not much of a drinker because I get drunk quicker than your 3 years old
laugh.gif
, though would be interesting to hear

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
will be in london next yr..also interested...

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
If you're after whisky distilleries the bad news is that there are none. However, if you feel like drinking gin, then apparently Sipsmiths do a very good distillery tour with lots of drinking. A friend of mine went there and had a great time and the people who run it are a good laugh.

For whisky tasting I think they do them at the Whisky Exchange at Vinopolis on the South Bank. It's a nice area to go anyway with the riverside, Tate Modern, Design Museum and Borough Market so it's not too far out of your way. I'd say the Anchor & Hope for lunch/dinner as well.

Other than that, I'm not sure where they do regular whisky tastings. I think they have a few bottles open for you to try at Berry Bros or you could just find a bar that's got a good selection like Albannach.

Quick Google search also comes up with Cadenhead's in Marylebone who've got a tasting on 5 May: http://www.whiskytastingroom.com/event/2011/05/05/day

If you need more suggestions of stuff to do/see/eat, let me know.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Not Ed Harris
If you're after whisky distilleries the bad news is that there are none. However, if you feel like drinking gin, then apparently Sipsmiths do a very good distillery tour with lots of drinking. A friend of mine went there and had a great time and the people who run it are a good laugh.

For whisky tasting I think they do them at the Whisky Exchange at Vinopolis on the South Bank. It's a nice area to go anyway with the riverside, Tate Modern, Design Museum and Borough Market so it's not too far out of your way. I'd say the Anchor & Hope for lunch/dinner as well.

Other than that, I'm not sure where they do regular whisky tastings. I think they have a few bottles open for you to try at Berry Bros or you could just find a bar that's got a good selection like Albannach.

Quick Google search also comes up with Cadenhead's in Marylebone who've got a tasting on 5 May: http://www.whiskytastingroom.com/event/2011/05/05/day

If you need more suggestions of stuff to do/see/eat, let me know.

Thank you for the suggestions. Any more you have would be really appreciated.

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
Just booze tasting or stuff in general?

You could visit a brewery, there's at least 3 in London (Young's, Fuller's and Meantime) but unless you're interested in the process then you're probably better off just going to a pub. Pubs I'd recommend:
The Cittie of Yorke and the Princess Louise in Holborn, actually come to think of it it's easiest to look here http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/mostviewed/. Sam Smith's pubs are generally pretty good and pretty cheap and I'd avoid Wetherspoons.

For cocktails most of the higher end bars can be a bit expensive, especially the ones at hotels. Places to try are The Experimental Cocktail Club in Chinatown and Lounge Bohemia in Shoreditch though they are a bit full of themselves and service isn't that friendly.

You can get decent offers at restaurants at toptable.com, and if there's any specific sort of place you're looking for I can probably point you in the right direction.

For shopping, beyond the usual Oxford St, Bond St, Savile Row, Jermyn St you could visit Lambs Conduit Street a bit further West. There's some nice shops and pubs and its a bit quieter. Marylebone's quite nice as well.

If it's your sort of thing there's also the English National Opera's production of The Damnation of Faust directed by Terry Gilliam opening on 6 May, or there's The Hurly Burly Show at the Garrick Theatre which is coming to the end of it's run.

You could go to a football match, but I'm not sure how easy it'll be to get tickets for any of the Premier League teams, assuming there are any matches while you're over. You could try one of the lower league teams but I'd avoid Millwall if you can as their fans still have a bit of a reputation. There might be rugby matches on as well.

Also, while it might seem more convenient to get the tube everywhere it is sometimes nice to get the bus as you get more of an idea where things are. If you are going to use the tube, remember these things:
- walk down the left of the escalators, stand on the right and don't just stop when you get to the end
- know which lines you're going to use and in which directions.
- if at all possible, don't use the tube during rush hour

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All great tips, thank you.

esswhykay

Reaction score
I suppose I'll tack onto this thread as I'm planning a London trip for next week.

Do you locals recommend getting a reservation for St. John Bar and Restaurant? I'm thinking of a meal there (most likely lunch) and I don't mind sitting at the bar.

Also, how was your trip Philip1978? Any tips?

juniper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by esswhykay
I suppose I'll tack onto this thread as I'm planning a London trip for next week.

Do you locals recommend getting a reservation for St. John Bar and Restaurant? I'm thinking of a meal there (most likely lunch) and I don't mind sitting at the bar.

Both incarnations of St John's are excellent. Lunch in particular is a bargain. In fact, unless you're drinking heavily, it's all a bargain.

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
For lunch you'll probably be ok without a reservation, especially if it's during the week. Probably be alright without one for dinner during the week too if there's only a couple of you and you're happy at the bar.

That said, I'd probably just book anyway.

esswhykay

Reaction score
Thanks gents. Any idea for how I might be able to spend some time in that neighborhood? If there isn't much going on there at least it looks like it's only a walk east of Covent Garden.

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
The area around St John is mostly offices with quite a few pubs and restaurants but not much else. You're not far from the Museum of London though, which is supposed to be quite good.

St John is a fair walk from Covent Garden. Probably about half an hour. Not a bad walk, though it gets less interesting the further you get. You pass by Somerset House and the Royal Courts of Justice which are quite nice.

Or you can get a bus. Less tiring, but probably won't be any quicker.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
moar London threadjack!
ffffuuuu.gif

To start our honeymoon, the lady and I will be spending June 22-26 in London. We've got tickets for Much Ado About Nothing (she's a Tennant/Tate fan) with reservations beforehand on the lower level of Yauatcha; we plan on meeting old friends Saturday for lunch and at some point wandering around the Borough Market for an hour or two. We've already done the Eye and Harrods during a trip back in '07. Honestly, our favorite part of the city is just wandering up and down the Thames on a nice day.

I'd appreciate recommendations for any slightly-off-the-beaten-track touristy things we shouldn't miss.

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
Late June? To be honest I don't plan that far ahead so I don't know if there's anything specific on then. What sort of stuff are you in to?

changy

Reaction score
Going to london for 4 days over memorial day weekend. Will I be able to squeeze in Windsor or Stonehenge? Or should I spend my time in London instead.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads