• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visiting Chapel Hill, NC

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll be visiting an old friend in Chapel Hill, NC next weekend. What is there to do? Our nights will be dominated by bars and drunk girls, any restaurants/bars we should have on our agenda? We will probably like to stick to laid back spots for the early evening then rowdier meat markets later at night. What kind of food should I have on my radar for lunch or dinner? I love bbq so suggestions and other ideas are welcome. Anything worth checking out during the daytime in the area?

WE're all in our twenties and aren't cheapskates but since we are all from DC originally we would pefer not spend $14 on cocktails.

Stokely

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
I'll be visiting an old friend in Chapel Hill, NC next weekend. What is there to do? Our nights will be dominated by bars and drunk girls, any restaurants/bars we should have on our agenda? We will probably like to stick to laid back spots for the early evening then rowdier meat markets later at night. What kind of food should I have on my radar for lunch or dinner? I love bbq so suggestions and other ideas are welcome. Anything worth checking out during the daytime in the area?

WE're all in our twenties and aren't cheapskates but since we are all from DC originally we would pefer not spend $14 on cocktails.

I grew up there and am actually in the process of moving back. There is plenty to do. It's an awesome town. Scoping trim is a pastime.
Bars- Some in Carrboro, you should hang some there.
Orange County Social Club
Speakeasy
The Reservoir
Top of the Hill
many more

Food-
Alan and Sons BBQ, hands down best **** on the planet, kind of a drive
Carrburittos. Best on the right coast
The Lantern for dinner. Nice bar too.

Walk around the campus during the day. Scope trim. Go hiking? Visit Durham?

Have fun and keep it steady.

Stokely

Reaction score
Oh, and some classics.

The Cave or Cat's Cradle or Local 506 for music.
Crooks Corner for food.

Stokely

Reaction score
One more thing. Go to www.indyweek.com or org, can't remember. It's the local weekly, a good one at that. Should have some listings for music or whatevs.

Stokely

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
+2 on Crook's Corner, especially if the owner is in the kitchen.

I'm moving next door. Stoked.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stokely
I'm moving next door. Stoked.

Hope you have a good exercize plan.
wink.gif

OffTheRack

Reaction score
If its warm enough when your there, check out He's No Here, a beer garden tucked away off Franklyn Street. Also check out Julian's College Shop.

For food, there's a lot of great choices. Some other's that haven't already been mentioned: Elaine's for more fine dining.
For a great chilli dog, check out Sutton's Drug Store.
For a great dive, check out Linda's.

There will be pleanty to do. It's a great town. Have a blast. I wish I was going too.

Oh, and there's nowhere in Chapel Hill where you're going to spend $14 bucks on drinks.

Stokely

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Hope you have a good exercize plan.
wink.gif

What, walking there doesn't count? Yeah that and Carrburritos. Jeez.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll throw in Mama Dip's as worth a visit. Also, Carolina Coffee shop is an institution, and a great place to go for a late breakfast or lunch. Or Dinner. Or for a drink.

A.K.A.

Reaction score
+1000 on Allen & Sons in Chapel Hill. It is up 86, otherwise known as MLK, Jr. Blvd from Franklin St. It is not that far by car, maybe 15 min. tops. Less than 2 miles north of I-40.

I give it #1 BBQ in NC. I try to make time to eat there whenever I travel through.

IMO Crooks Corner is over rated. It's OK, but not so much that I yearn to go back.

Also, order a Red Oak amber lager on tap wherever it is available. It is brewed down the road in Burlington, NC and it is tastey stuff. Check out there website: http://www.redoakbrewery.com/home.php

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Oh hell yeah on the Red Oak. Awesome, awesome beer.

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Also, Carolina Coffee shop is an institution, and a great place to go for a late breakfast or lunch. Or Dinner. Or for a drink.

Was there last weekend. Didn't eat there, so can't comment on that, but the drinks
patch[1].gif

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My friend warned me that there were tons of great places to check out in town. It appears he was dead on.

Where are the hot spots for some dancing? Top 40, DJ's, indie bands are all welcome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads