• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visiting Bucharest and Brasov, Romania

ed1066

Reaction score
I will be visiting the above mentioned cities later this week for about six days total. I've never been to Romania, though I have traveled elsewhwere in Europe several times. Any recommendations on what do do/see and where to eat/drink? Also, any advice on things to avoid? I'm there on business (nominally), but I expect to have a lot of down time. Not to be prude, but I'm not interested in anything of a sexual nature, since I'm married and not planning to break vows or bring home any "unwanted souvenirs".

Allen

Reaction score
I'm from Romania
smile.gif
ok, so, avoid thieves, there are quite a few in Bucharest, I don't know about Brasov but be careful there too. I'd recommend you visit the castles around Brasov, they are very beautiful. Also you should visit "Casa Poporului"(The house of the People), the second largest building in the world after the Pentagon(by the area it covers). I heard that the best restaurant in Bucharest is "2lei". Never ate there so I wouldn't know, but if you want traditional food, you're in luck, that's what they are serving. Any other questions, I'd be glad to answer.

ed1066

Reaction score
Thanks Allen. When you say "thieves" are you referring to pickpockets, or are there problems with hotels as well? When I went to Rio de Janiero, everyone remarked how unsafe it could be, but I honestly never felt unsafe there, as long as I took the same precautions I would take in any big city. I know parts of Eastern Europe and Romania in particular have a reputation for Romany/Gypsy pickpockets and con artists. Is it true? Also, I'm not sure when you were in Romania last, but do street vendors and small shops like to take US dollars, or do they prefer/require euros? I think the lei is out of circulation, correct?

Also, do you have an opinion on Caru cu Bere in Bucharest? Too touristy, or is it somewhat authentic?

Allen

Reaction score
I'm mainly referring to pickpockets and con artists. Hotels should be safe as long as you don't pick one in a God forbidden place.
About gypsies... unfortunately it's true. I didn't want to be racial about it, but most pickpockets are gypsies, by most I mean about 90%.
About the street vendors: the romanian leu is still in circulation until 2012, but it changed it's code from ROL to RON... it's hard to explain because it changed it's value while keeping the denomination. I would recommend you get lei as it will save you a lot(because they will require more money if you pay in foreign currency), but if you don't want to, they prefer euros, in fact, some of them might require euros.
Carul cu bere is the oldest pub and it's nicely decorated, a bit pricy, but nice. It is mainly for tourists as there are better restaurants.

judges76

Reaction score
An old joke about visiting Romania; after shaking hands with a Romanian check to make sure you still have all your fingers in your possesion.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
in romonia I used to buy really nice wooden handmade toys, and you could get reasonably priced furs. you should see the people's palace, at least from the outside.

as to food, I honestly didn't like the romanian food that much, but it is worth getting to a kabab place at least once - ask your hotel for a recomendation, and have the taxi driver wait for you.

the best food I had in bucharest was italian - frankly, a lot of the time I was in the balkans I ate italian.

I found downtown bucharest pretty safe. the downtown has some really gorgious buildings, just walking around and seeing some churches and some of the buildings from the 20's and the 30's is cool. there are some great monuments in town as well, I always liked the airman's monument from wwi.

WSW

Reaction score
I would suggest a tour of the Parliament building, supposedly one of the largest buildings in the world. Many of the streets are still quite rundown and you'll find service at hotels and restaurants to be lower in quality than what you'd find in the West, but food is also cheaper and you can find many decent hotels for under 100 Euro.

justinpaul44

Reaction score
Romania is a wonderful land of extremes and also Stiflingly hot in the summer. So I think that Winter is best season in which We will enjoy Romania very well. I can not say that Food is so cheaper in Romania. Even I have also enjoyed the Romania in winter , I have enjoyed lot of.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads