• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visiting Australia

stevester1

Reaction score
Hey guys, so here's the deal, I'll be visiting Australia from August 21st to September 12th and I'm clueless as to what to expect from the weather. I'm from Montreal so I can somewhat take the cold if needed- I can also withstand humidity (if that's to be expected).

My first week will be spent in Maroochydore, by the beach and my last two weeks will be in Melbourne. From searching, I found the following thread (http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=114723) but it appears to deal with harsher winter months (June-July).

Secondly, I'd like to know if there's anything I need to see before leaving Australia. So far, I've gathered that in Melbourne I must visit the following:
Melbourne Aquarium and Zoo
Docklands
Federation Square
Victorian Arts Center
Possibly a few landmarks such as cathedrals but I can honestly do without unless they're stunning
Maybe a sporting event

These seem nice and all, but I'd honestly prefer something more fun and lively, perhaps a good restaurant or bar, I'm 21 after all.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks fellas.

ruzzi

Reaction score
I live near Maroochydore (Brisbane). I'd say you're looking at between 15-25 degree celsius... cool by Brisbane standards but probably warm for someone from Montreal. It's pleasant here...you probably need a lightweight knit or something. Melbourne will be a slightly colder i'm guessing 10-20 and it rains a lot in Melbourne without notice so bring an umbrella.

Looking at Montreal weather I'd say Maroochydore will be like summer in Montreal and Melbourne like May or September in Montreal.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
its not real warm in Vic right now, like scarface said, dress warm.
check out a footy match if you can get to one too

stevester1

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll be sure to bring a few layers of clothing.

What about events or shows or anything of the sort? Anything I should be aware of?

aKula

Reaction score
National Gallery of Victoria is exhibiting "European Masters" collection. You asked for a bar though so I suggest first floor of Young and Jackson so you can drink beer while looking at art (story is in the 19th century there was a moral outcry about exhibiting a nude the gallery had bought so the pub bought it instead). There are many bars in the city, also have a look at madame brussels which is an interesting one.

AFL (aussie rules football) is the local sport here in the winter, go to game if you can.

Restaurants; there are plenty in the city (syracuse is a favourite of mine), also Lygon street is the italian street which is only 10mins by tram from the city.

Many of the more interesting cafes in the city are in the laneways so don't just walk down the wide roads. Have a look at the block arcade (find it on google), then you'll immediately find some of the lanes. The coffee is quite good, order a "latte" if you want to look like a local.

stevester1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aKula
National Gallery of Victoria is exhibiting "European Masters" collection. You asked for a bar though so I suggest first floor of Young and Jackson so you can drink beer while looking at art (story is in the 19th century there was a moral outcry about exhibiting a nude the gallery had bought so the pub bought it instead). There are many bars in the city, also have a look at madame brussels which is an interesting one.

AFL (aussie rules football) is the local sport here in the winter, go to game if you can.

Restaurants; there are plenty in the city (syracuse is a favourite of mine), also Lygon street is the italian street which is only 10mins by tram from the city.

Many of the more interesting cafes in the city are in the laneways so don't just walk down the wide roads. Have a look at the block arcade (find it on google), then you'll immediately find some of the lanes. The coffee is quite good, order a "latte" if you want to look like a local.

Great tips, thank you!

imschatz

Reaction score
I'm from Regina, SK and spent 4 months there a few years back (4 weeks in Melbourne). Here's my Canadian perspective on Australia.

1) Night's do get pretty chilly. Take a few nice jackets (not Canada winter jackets, but hoodies/ fall jackets/etc), and jeans. We went there with nothing but shorts/tshirts and were quickly hitting up outlet stores trying to find jeans/hoodies.

2) AFL is lame. Absolutely zero enjoyment. I had way more fun following Rugby while I was there. Mind you, we went to the Melbourne Cricket Ground for a "footy" game, and it was quite an experience. Was something like $10 to see a game, and was an interesting stadium to see. (If you are a CFL fan, Rugby > AFL .. if you are a soccer fan I'd guess AFL > Rugby).

3) Both the Aquarium and Zoo in Melbourne were meh.

2 bar recommendations:

Take a quick walk by All Nations Hostel (corner of Spencer St. and Flinders St.) .. Pretty slummy bar but I was planning on spending a week there, ended up spending 4. Was an absolutely riot. I got so many stories of that place. I'd go by just after supper, and if there is a few people you might find interesting introduce yourself and see what happens. Kind of a cheap bar to meet people before going out on the town. Big European/Canadian hang out. Met a tonne of German's/English and fellow Canadians there and did a number on Melbourne. 4 weeks of drunken debauchery, all starting at that little dive bar.

Just south of downtown Melbourne is St. Kilda .. and the Esplanade Hotel (bar). 3 room's, all playing live music, and usually pretty good. Went there a few times and was only disappointed once. There is a bunch of other bars along that strip as well on St. Kilda road. Lots of girls too, if thats your thing :p And not sure what it's like in Montreal .. but here in Regina, if you got an Aussie accent the panties drop .. same storey goes for a Canadian accent in Australia.

stevester1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
1) Night's do get pretty chilly. Take a few nice jackets (not Canada winter jackets, but hoodies/ fall jackets/etc), and jeans. We went there with nothing but shorts/tshirts and were quickly hitting up outlet stores trying to find jeans/hoodies.

Yup, I'm going to bring a few light jackets and hoodies. I'm mostly going to work with layers though, seeing as how it's warmer during the day and such.

2) AFL is lame. Absolutely zero enjoyment. I had way more fun following Rugby while I was there. Mind you, we went to the Melbourne Cricket Ground for a "footy" game, and it was quite an experience. Was something like $10 to see a game, and was an interesting stadium to see. (If you are a CFL fan, Rugby > AFL .. if you are a soccer fan I'd guess AFL > Rugby).

**** I hadn't even thought of seeing a rugby game, thanks man!

Take a quick walk by All Nations Hostel (corner of Spencer St. and Flinders St.) .. Pretty slummy bar but I was planning on spending a week there, ended up spending 4. Was an absolutely riot. I got so many stories of that place. I'd go by just after supper, and if there is a few people you might find interesting introduce yourself and see what happens. Kind of a cheap bar to meet people before going out on the town. Big European/Canadian hang out. Met a tonne of German's/English and fellow Canadians there and did a number on Melbourne. 4 weeks of drunken debauchery, all starting at that little dive bar.

Sounds like I need to go there... every night :p

same storey goes for a Canadian accent in Australia.

Good to know, if my Canadian accent doesn't work I'll drop some French or some Italian...
smile.gif

Thanks man, I appreciate your response.

MEL

Reaction score
Cairns, and the Great Barrier Reef if possible ..... I absolutely loved the GBR !!!

MEL

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MEL
Cairns, and the Great Barrier Reef if possible ..... I absolutely loved the GBR !!!

MEL

Cairns, and that far north on the reef is something you do when you are old. At 21 ... on the Australian East Coast .. the Whitsunday's, and Fraser Island.

Oh sweet .. didn't see the Maroochydore post .. Um .. a week there, hit up Fraser Island. They go out in groups on 4x4's on camping trips onto the island with crates of booze. Usually 3 or 4 night trips - and cheep .. like a couple hundred bucks for 3-4 nights and that includes everything except booze. Absolutely wild time. Watch out for the Dingo's if you go though. They are pretty intimidating in person.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I miss Melbourne.

I used to drink at the Espy a lot. It is kind of a dump, but I am a big live music fan, and you never quite know who you will end up seeing play there.

aKula

Reaction score
Also Brunswick St is a more bohemian area. Good to visit in the day and has a lot of night life as well.

stevester1

Reaction score
Watch out for the Dingo's

Would make for a good story if I brought a baby along :p

Guys thanks for the posts, I'll definitely check out those 4x4 trips and those pubs

imschatz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
I miss Melbourne.

I used to drink at the Espy a lot. It is kind of a dump, but I am a big live music fan, and you never quite know who you will end up seeing play there.

For those keeping track ..

The Esplanade Hotel (that I mentioned above) is AKA The Espy. And for the record .. it isn't that big of a dump :p

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads