• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Visiting Afghanistan

noxlord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jayboy
Its not so much about the lack of skateparks or skateboarding in general thats the main focus of Skateistan. Its mere a ventilationhole for young people to go to have fun and build a confidence and to get a chance to go back to school. Not to mention all the girls who go there and can feel equal to the boys and what it does for their confidence. The peace and prosperity of Afghanistan wont come trough guns in the end, but of todays young Afghanistan's.

You need to look outside the box
satisfied.gif

Check this link out and maybe you grasp the concept a little better: To Live and skate Kabul

The way you handled yourself in this thread clearly show that you know little of the current situation in Afghanistan, let alone Kabul. You sound just like those Hippies in Rambo 4. you want to help them, but the Taliban will only see a threat in your organization, some way to "Americanize" their childrens. Girls being equal to the boys ?? Are you marsupialed????

I don't know the amount of preparation you will have before departure, buy 6 weeks is clearly not long enough to understand how to keep yourself secure. Do you speak Pashto, Dari ???

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Well, JayBoy will definitely be a different person when/if he comes back.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
hope he posts updates, pics if he does go. really is his life and decision to go, so good luck to him. and stay safe.

Jayboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noxlord
The way you handled yourself in this thread clearly show that you know little of the current situation in Afghanistan, let alone Kabul. You sound just like those Hippies in Rambo 4. you want to help them, but the Taliban will only see a threat in your organization, some way to "Americanize" their childrens. Girls being equal to the boys ?? Are you marsupialed???? I don't know the amount of preparation you will have before departure, buy 6 weeks is clearly not long enough to understand how to keep yourself secure. Do you speak Pashto, Dari ???
I guess you didnt bother to check the link out. Too bad. Im very aware of how they see and look on the organization and the work their doing down there. And im not going in 6 weeks, im staying 6 weeks. Ill have about two and a half month to prepare before I leave. Despite what you think, Im not that naive that you believe. I been traveling to under developed countries before, and just because I romantisize the sole purpose of the organizations work, doesnt mean that im going down there to spread flowers and a message of love, duh. No I dont speak Dari/Farsi or Pashto, like most of the volunteers that goes there and work for this organization. The whole girl equal boys, what it mean is that Skateistan is the only place a girl can participate in sport together with boys, that say, up until they are twelve. Check the link out and you grasp it a lot better, instead of coming off like a jerk that calls someone marsupialed based on a few written words.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Nox is an idiot and unfortunately representative of a large percentage of internationals here. Generally the ones that only see Kabul through armored glass and who get paid cost-plus on security contracts. If anyone is interested in a rational take, I suggest Kauffman (pdf). Your humble narrator is sprinkled throughout.

Jayboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Nox is an idiot and unfortunately representative of a large percentage of internationals here. Generally the ones that only see Kabul through armored glass and who get paid cost-plus on security contracts.

If anyone is interested in a rational take, I suggest Kauffman (pdf). Your humble narrator is sprinkled throughout.

Thansk for the support and thanks for the link, quite the good read!

I emailed you btw
smile.gif

Duff_Man

Reaction score
I have a whole shiteload of NGO security briefs I can e-mail, if you'd like. Also, if you're staying in Kabul, you won't have to worry as much about the fashion ramifications of NIJ level IV plates, and you can concentrate on being the greyman rather than being the Michelin man. If you are going to Kandahar or Helmand or something, I suggest investing in some kit.

Jayboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duff_Man
I have a whole shiteload of NGO security briefs I can e-mail, if you'd like. Also, if you're staying in Kabul, you won't have to worry as much about the fashion ramifications of NIJ level IV plates, and you can concentrate on being the greyman rather than being the Michelin man. If you are going to Kandahar or Helmand or something, I suggest investing in some kit.

Ill be staying in Kabul, only. So hopefully I wont need to wear plates. Pm you about the Security briefs.

Sazerac

Reaction score
You have my respect for going. It's precisely this kind of things that dulls the edge of the reactionary cultural hold that Taliban had/has on that place. I don't think you're under any illusions that this is going to transform the culture overnight, but that doesn't mean the project isn't worthwhile.

Like you, I've traveled quite a bit in the developing world including some conflict zones. While often dangerous, such travel is also rewarding and informative. This will be one of those experiences against which you gauge everything that happens afterward, so enjoy it, stay safe, and leave your mark.

From personal experience, I've found it helps to pack a lot of small gifts for people that help you out or are special to you. Strangely, even things such as Pilot pens from the drugstore, packs of chewing gum, tea bags, or really anything common in the U.S. and Europe can make a nice special treat for a kid or his parents. (Don't make a big deal out of it, just hand it to the kid and smile.) What cynics would call kumbaya **** actually works.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there are more important things that yourself in this world, never forget that.

IMO risking your life to teach kids how to skateboard while holding an unrealistic view of what these programs will accomplish in such a region is not one of them. Anyway, I hope you stay safe and I'm sure it goes without saying that you're going to be seeking better sources of advice.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
good luck, I am sure that you will come back with a lot of cool ideas and stories.

Duff_Man

Reaction score
Ill be staying in Kabul, only. So hopefully I wont need to wear plates. Pm you about the Security briefs.

While the threat of getting gunned down in broad daylight is far lower in Kabul, you still need to keep your wits about you and live counter surveillance. Often NGO workers think we're being Hollywood, patronizing, Orientalist, etc. when we say these things, but KRE is still a very real danger in Kabul, and it is by luck and fate that they have not been knocked out and woken up in a dark room.

If you can afford it, taking some hostile environment training would be worth it. That said, if you're only there for 6 weeks, the value for money equation is a bit ennnhh.

Jayboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duff_Man
While the threat of getting gunned down in broad daylight is far lower in Kabul, you still need to keep your wits about you and live counter surveillance. Often NGO workers think we're being Hollywood, patronizing, Orientalist, etc. when we say these things, but KRE is still a very real danger in Kabul, and it is by luck and fate that they have not been knocked out and woken up in a dark room.

If you can afford it, taking some hostile environment training would be worth it. That said, if you're only there for 6 weeks, the value for money equation is a bit ennnhh.

Im very aware that Kabul is a dangerous place, and im not taking that lightly an any way. I know some NGO´s talks down the actual danger, but im not that naive. I will do anything I can to stay safe while being there. A KRE is nothing I want to experience.

noxlord

Reaction score
Im very aware that Kabul is a dangerous place, and im not taking that lightly an any way. I know some NGO´s talks down the actual danger, but im not that naive. I will do anything I can to stay safe while being there. A KRE is nothing I want to experience.

I insist on letting you know that for every death (ISAF or NGO) in Afghanistan, there is a shitload of serious injury that goes unreported. You might not die but you may still lose a foot, an entire leg, your left eye, etc ... I don't want to sound like a redneck douche, i did saw your link and the Skateistan video before writing the first time. I also saw countless guys leaving the country barely alive with more than one amputation and completely disfigures; none of those people were reported as casualty because the media only care about dead people. Kabul is rather safe and NGO's are not the main target over there, but I still think it's not worth it.

I just want to help you, If you really want to go, you should be there for the usual 6 months. It takes a lot of time to get those people to trust you and establish a relationship.

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
Don't forget your body armor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads