• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Virus Advisory

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certain e-mail addresses I use, such as the one used for the event at the Regency and those in my Bespoke Shirt Essays, are private to only the SF and AAAC. This morning I received 7 virus distribution attempts to those private addresses. It is possible that either
A] a hacker is gathering addresses from the fora -or-
B] our firewalls have been penetrated
In the more likely event that it is A], I am just passing on this advisory. For those who don't understand virus distribution, do NOT click on any attachment file such as one named
"NortonAntiVirusDeleted" or any executable file, i.e. .exe, .php, .bat, etc.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, please do not open those kinds of filetypes over email. They are very bad.

Edit: And by bad I mean they essentially run something on your computer that can very well screw it up for a long long time.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Chances are, if you have sent email with those addresses, that one of the recipients got a virus/worm that used his address book to send out more viruses. I very much doubt the forum has been compromised in any way.

I hate Norton, but it does work; I use Norton Internet Security and Anti-Spam and it significantly reduces my inbox clutter. It does occasionally filter out good mail though, so you have to check it.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I combine
all kinds of stuff

Generally I have very few problems these days but do get several hundred spam/virus mails into my junk box every day.

When all else fails I keep a .38 in the desk drawer if a hacker gets past the frint door

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
j - No, they're incoming e-mail addresses only. I didn't mean the forum is compromised. What I meant was, someone merely has to click a member's e-mail link (not here as ikonboard is better, but on snitz) to collect their address.

carlo - the wise do not reveal the makers of their protection. It makes one step less for ambitious hackers.

You - bourbon/ Me - vodka
You - .38/ Me - .45 or 12ga
You - Ties/Me - shirts

We have Nothing in common. Can't believe we're doing an event together.?.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point... left a few things out but better to remove the list anyway.

Good point, I'll need to go over the list of acceptable beverage prefs with Darren, maybe we should just forget the whole deal.... Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh no. Darren's British. We're going to have warm fu**ing beer.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Certain e-mail addresses I use, such as the one used for the event at the Regency and those in my Bespoke Shirt Essays, are private to only the SF and AAAC. This morning I received 7 virus distribution attempts to those private addresses. It is possible that either A] a hacker is gathering addresses from the fora -or- B] our firewalls have been penetrated In the more likely event that it is A], I am just passing on this advisory. For those who don't understand virus distribution, do NOT click on any attachment file such as one named "NortonAntiVirusDeleted" or any executable file, i.e. .exe, .php, .bat, etc.
That is one ****** hacker. I've hacked you several times and you never noticed.
biggrin.gif
Jon. I would see if you can find their IP info and contact the host to let them know of the disturbance.

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jon - The IP/warning/etc. thing is too much of a pain. Because we get e-mail from the public through our websites, we can't filter the incoming and this is an everyday thing for us. But we've never received hacks using the private addresses listed only on AAAC and SF before, so I thought I would bring the possibility to everyone's attention.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads