• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

virtuoso drumming

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this and wanted to share.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmmmm, interesting.

bkk

Reaction score
worship.gif

Stunning. The effortless motions he goes through are amazing. Much respect to anyone who can play a small kit and get that much out of it.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thomas Pridgen, drummer for the Mars Volta, is considered one of the current greats.....this dude is sick....

I know some of you may say it sounds like noise, but the guy is just jamming. Focus on how fast his hands are moving....amazing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
Thomas Pridgen, drummer for the Mars Volta, is considered one of the current greats.....this dude is sick....

I know some of you may say it sounds like noise, but the guy is just jamming. Focus on how fast his hands are moving....amazing.

I love that guy but too bad the Mars Volta sucks. I dunno what it is about them. I figure I like each separate part, but when they put it all together it sounds like ****.

Albern

Reaction score
I love watching great drummers play. I think it would be cool to see guys like Neil Peart or Carter Beauford play on a 4 piece kit rather than their 360 degree rigs just to see what they come up with. Working with less to get more I say.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The drummer for Deerhoof is amazing (Greg Saunier) youtube him. I love that band, Mars Volta is...???

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Papa Jo Jones was basically the inventor of the high hat as we know it today. The "high" hat started out as what was known as a "sock cymbal" which basically sat on the ground. Jones was one of the first drummers to use it as the main time keeper (as opposed to the snare and bass drum) and then he added a pipe to make it sit as high as the other drums and thus make it the "high hat" that it is today.
Originally Posted by Albern
I love watching great drummers play. I think it would be cool to see guys like Neil Peart or Carter Beauford play on a 4 piece kit rather than their 360 degree rigs just to see what they come up with. Working with less to get more I say.
Neil Peart plays a 4 piece kit at his Buddy Rich Tribute...

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On the OP is that a normal practice for drummers to manipulate the tightness of the drum head while playing?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no, that is not normal.

Brian Blade is a bad ass
and never forget elvin jones....

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
no, that is not normal.

Brian Blade is a bad ass
and never forget elvin jones....

It seems that if this was done more you could add a more melodic element to the drums.
confused.gif

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
It seems that if this was done more you could add a more melodic element to the drums.
confused.gif

It's required several times throughout the course of a piece if your drum is a typmani.
teacha.gif

jefe

Reaction score
Tony Royster Jr.

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Dennis Chambers - just a ridiculous player. Unreal dynamics. One of the greats.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads