• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Viral Marketing

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
And now, back to my Miller High Life. I find it goes down smooth and refreshing. It also keeps me more alert and better able to operate machinery! What do you guys think?

Does it go well with your MARVELOUS DSQUARED undies? If so count me in.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I would like to take this opportunity to assure anyone with money and clothes that I will tastefully pimp for your company. Thats right! For a limited time only, the opinion of the famous internet brigand, Tokyo Slim, is for sale to the highest bidder (unless it's Apple, and then we'll negotiate) My previous clients include Sony, Matt Jones of the Jacksonville Jaguars, SanDisk, Shiro's Sushi, Nissan, and Panasonic!
Nissan Versa Nissan Versa Nissan Versa!

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horriblyjollyjinx
I don't know if he gets paid but cheep hypes his Evisus which are ****, I've seen Deus's and the denim is really crap compared to my SDA, colorless. Also the 660 Warehouse are no better than any other Japanese jeans.

Then theres the Self Edge thread that makes me throw up and its not kiya but the other kids that do it to me.

The sufu/wh jeans are a collaboration in the same vein as the sfx5ep collab. Trying to get japanese denim (the wh denim used is popular for fades in japan) and hardware with a favorable cut for sufu members, plus a unique patch. BiG decided to help the project out. Nothing fishy there since it's obvious what is going on. As for cheep's evisu's, he got the jeans and tees for free from the evisu people i believe. He made friends with them awhile back at or before the evisu party (they may have brought him up). He doesn't really talk about the evisu jeans all that much except that he really likes them.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brands like 5EP, Engineered Garments, Warehouse, Wings&Horns, do not stand to profit, and stand to lose, from viral marketing. They are small or at least smallish brands, but recognizble within a certain community, and share an image of "authenticity". Being found out to have hired a viral marketing firm would erode this carefully grown and maintained image. The cost/benefit ratio of viral marketing is just not advantageous to these brands.

Brands which might benefit from viral marketing are mass market brands and mass market brands which have some niche appeal. These brands do not stand to lose much if they were found to have employe viral marketing techniques because they are assumed to employ all types of advertising, and stand to gain from exposure in niche markets. I could see brands like Fred Perry and Ben Sherman doing well using viral marketing techniques. I've also heard (and take this as the heresay that it is) that the large Scandanavian brands represented by WANT agency: Filippa K, Acne, and Nudie have employed viral marketing techniques.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
Anyone ever wonder if any brands have any sort of viral marketing campaign afoot on this forum?

Or other forums?

I wonder just how many industry people are hyping brands at honestforum, SF, sufu, hypebeast, purseblog, etcetera., Would be a great place to do it; talk up a brand and build hype, hire some of our regular posters/moderators to do it, and before you know it, groupthink will lead to massive sales! I'm not saying we're mindless sheep or anything, but it is something to consider.

Certain posts are kind of suspicious sometimes, but it could just be groupthink without many other unbiased product examinations. I cannot discern fabric quality or estimate prices, and I'm still learning how to tell if a garment is well constructed, so I would not be an expert at this field. The named forums and sites have sponsors and affiliates to support as well, so it's not exactly a stretch.

I don't have any specific instances off the top of my head; I know 45rpm has one or 2 employees with some decent post counts on superfuture. I'm actually not sure if they've revealed their status there as I'm not a regular, so that may be a moot point if so.

I like the way you think.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
is-on-ur-tubes-with-mah-virus-marketing-mah-jeens.jpg

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Brands like 5EP, Engineered Garments, Warehouse, Wings&Horns, do not stand to profit, and stand to lose, from viral marketing. They are small or at least smallish brands, but recognizble within a certain community, and share an image of "authenticity". Being found out to have hired a viral marketing firm would erode this carefully grown and maintained image. The cost/benefit ratio of viral marketing is just not advantageous to these brands.
Wait, people actually believe in "authenticity" still?!
eh.gif

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't the better term here be 'stealth marketing'? I had always understood and been told that viral marketing is where you are aware that it is a marketing message, but the content itself is so entertaining that it gets sent from one person to another (hence viral). I guess SOME threads (e.g. 'hygiene of going #2' in Body Consciousness) are entertaining enough to warrant sending to friends
happy.gif
Stealth marketing from what i've been told is where the 'consumer' is totally unaware of the fact that you were exposed to a marketing message. Example my prof used, is when camera phones were first starting to be introduced, stealth marketers would hire people to go on the streets to act as tourists, and ask people of a certain demographic to 'take their picture' with their cellphone. And when the person looks confused at a cellphone and asks 'how?', that's when they spring into their 'pitch.' Just wondering
teacha.gif

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Stealth marketing from what i've been told is where the 'consumer' is totally unaware of the fact that you were exposed to a marketing message. Example my prof used, is when camera phones were first starting to be introduced, stealth marketers would hire people to go on the streets to act as tourists, and ask people of a certain demographic to 'take their picture' with their cellphone. And when the person looks confused at a cellphone and asks 'how?', that's when they spring into their 'pitch.'

Just wondering
teacha.gif

After Mahir became an internet sensation, I think there was another ridiculous homepage that went viral, and was later expoised as viral marketing for Dr. Pepper or something. This was almost ten years ago, so it had to have been one of the first viral campaigns. Then you had the Blair Witch project, of course.

Years ago, I saw this news special about viral marketing when it was just emerging. Of course, they showed kids going into chat rooms and shilling for video games, etc. What I found amusing were when attractive women sitting at a bar asked men for a light of their cigarette, and as he was lighting her up, she was hawking about the benefits of cigarette brand X... the guys were TOTALLY oblivious.

Before the 2004 election, usenet was getting spammed with 9/11 truther articles. Some people suggested it was an extremely clandestine viral campaign by the DNC. I suppose that's a conspiracy theory in-and-of itself, isn't it?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Eh, that's not the definition I know, Sonick. "Viral" is one person telling another, that person tells more people, and those people repeat the process; whether or not they're aware of it isn't part of the term. Viral marketing companies, however, do their damnedest to hide from the person the fact that they're being marketed. In fact, many companies contract viral companies with the EXPRESS PURPOSE of not obviously pushing their product onto other people, same goes with getting a person's opinion on said product. "I heard that the McRib is back at McDonalds. Are you excited about it? Man, I've been sooooo jonsing for one for what seems like forever. A friend got me to download some funny desktop wallpapers and stuff at www.mcrib.com . Really great stuff..." Etc.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
Hanro makes very quality t-shirts. Brioni t-shirts are of as high quality as I've ever seen.

Not kidding. See the "Best Tee-shirt" thread. Is KitonBrioni a viral marketer? Discuss
smile.gif

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
My girlfriend is a viral marketer. She says that's how she got gonorrhea.

Kane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
You guys can take it to the bank: if Engineered Garments, Wings&Horns, and 5EP are being pushed by viral marketers on Styleforum and Superfuture, with the success that these brands have had on these fora, companies would be beating down the door of the marketers trying to sign them. I have it on good authority that this is not happening. Draw your own conclusions.

<slips Fok a $50>

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads