• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vinyl?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone still has vinyl albums in their music collection? I have around 200 that I'm not sure what I should do with.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's a whole vinyl culture built around sterephiles, which I suppose might also correlate with that Hobbies thread.

DJs still use vinyl, I believe.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
DJs still use vinyl, I believe.
Depends on the genre. Electronic music DJs have mostly moved to CDJs and laptops. Rock, pop and even modern hip-hop tend to still be on vinyl.

Reaction score
Wedding DJs have switched to CDs because vinyl weighs a ton.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Laptops and digitized audio files are totally the best for DJing. Just bring one thing and you're set. There's even automated mixing and beatmatching software that can make DJing a lot easier.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Depends on the genre. Electronic music DJs have mostly moved to CDJs and laptops. Rock, pop and even modern hip-hop tend to still be on vinyl.

Hm. It depends on your style. I have a mixed-source approach where I integrate two Technics and my Rane with a complete Elektron set-up and some pre-programmed stuff that I've run through Logic Pro. Most decent DJs are so varied these days because traditional electro is soooooo trite. For instance, I played a VIP gig last week at Cafe Saint Ex and my main bag had:

Animal Collective: Sung Tongs
Basement Jaxx: Kish Kash
Booka Shade: Movements
Dizzee Rascal: Boy In Da Corner
Ellen Allien & Apparat: Orchestra of Bubbles
Frank Sinatra: In the Wee Small Hours
His Name Is Alive: Detrola
Los Angeles: X
Miles Davis: On the Corner
Mylo: Destry Rock & Roll
Public Enemy: It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back
Sigur Ros: Agetis Byrnjun (sp?)
The Velvet Underground & Nico
Vitalic: OK Cowboy
Xiu Xiu: Fabulous Muscles

And I know a lot of bleeding-edge electronic-only turntablists.

I'm also an audiophile, and I have a nice Rega. Seriously, nothing sounds better than vinyl. Unfortunately my mp3s outnumber my vinyl about 10 to 1 and it is way to expensive to get ahold of anything but the newest when it comes to decent music.

Maybe...you should unload it all on me?
laugh.gif

mbc

Reaction score
I don't know the exact figure, but I'd estimate I've got between 400 and 600 vinyl records, almost all of it electronic music.

Earthmover

Reaction score
I only have around 15, but I have a few favorites:

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five
Dr. Zhivago Soundtrack
20 Chart #1 songs by the Beatles (with a phenomenal long version of Hey Jude)
The Eagles - Hotel California.

While I have digital versions of all these, I strongly prefer to listen to them on LP.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I mostly collect vinyl, and then download the same album digitally for making mixes or playing it my car.

Jon, I love your taste in music.. but you need Mu on there. You can't have a dance party without "Tell You Something"

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have a bunch of vinyl and turntables and a nice mixer... used to be into the turntablism/dj stuff. I really never use any of it anymore. But if there is an artist I like, if I can, I get their album(s) on vinyl to support them and then download it. Well, let's be honest - if I like them I've already downloaded it. But I only want to buy albums on vinyl because audio CDs do me no good anymore. I burn MP3 CDs for the car (which I rarely drive anymore) and listen to MP3s in the house.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will never give up my LP collection--they sound better than the CD counterparts, anyway.

koji

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im slowly replacing my cd collection with vinyl. im just using an old motorola turntable,nothing fancy, but im in love with the sound. also finding alot of good old vinyl at thrift stores helps.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got about 200 or so, but I usually only use my two time coded vinyls which I play MP3's through. It's much cheaper than buying new records and much better (IMO) than using CDJ's.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend's father has about 20,000 jazz albums, all vinyl. His son told him about the iPod. 7,000 songs right in your pocket.

"I've always had the songs, right here," he said, pointing to his heart. "I don't need some godammed computer."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads