• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vinyl Records and Turntables Are Gaining Sales.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
EAR make some great stuff. A few years ago they released a CD player with valve based analogue electronics.

The U.S. importer is a friend. I help him set up at shows. EAR electronics and Marten speakers. Sheer sonic heaven.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The mere mention of Mulllard doesn't get you hot and bothered?

About to put some into my phono stage.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well that sure explains all the damned competition I've been having at the thrifts and garage sales these past several years. I've been buying vinyl ever since I starting buying recorded music with my own money. Never went with CDs. The first LP I ever bought was Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Green River". Still have it, too. I probably have about 2,000 LPs now and around the same amount of 45s.

I picked up a Rega Planar 2 for around $200 on Fleabay over the summer as an upgrade over my old Technics SL-1600 Mk2. Still using my old Pioneer SA-9100 amplifier, though. These are hooked to my Rogers LS3/5A monitors. Sounds great.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Good links LK. I had a nice conversation with Mike Fremer at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest.

This may be a bit optimistic on my part but I do believe that one factor that is fueling the LP renaissance is the great sound quality of modern vinyl reissues. I think teenagers and college age students realize what they are missing over MP3 once they hear decent quality vinyl.

There is a smoothness and cohesiveness to good analog recordings.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd like to hear some of the Mobile Fidelity SuperVinyl which was custom-manufactured by JVC in the '80s.

Supposedly some of the best pressings ever.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^

Muddy Waters

inlove.gif

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I'd like to hear some of the Mobile Fidelity SuperVinyl which was custom-manufactured by JVC in the '80s.

Supposedly some of the best pressings ever.

Good stuff (I assume you mean the UHQR series) but imho the new MusicMatters titles like Out to Lunch are equally good.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
A nice simple setup proving once again that if you have the right light, any decent camera today can produce really nice images.

--Andre

Is there any benefit in getting a phono stage based on bulbs as opposed to transistors? My goal is not to color the music but to pass it through with the least of interferences and decent equalization?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
Is there any benefit in getting a phono stage based on bulbs as opposed to transistors? My goal is not to color the music but to pass it through with the least of interferences and decent equalization?

That's a very difficult question with answers on both sides of the tube v. solid state debate.

I would say below $2K or so, the solid state options are possibly better due to the lower noise of chips versus tubes.

That said, I just installed a Jolida phono stage (around $500) and with Mullard tubes it is very quiet.

I personally find the midrange of a good tube design to be better than most but not all solid state gear when done right.

OTOH, my friend has the Sim Audio LP5.3 with external power supply and I can find nothing wrong with the midrange there.

It's very much a personal preference thing in my experience. Do you like vanilla or chocolate ice cream?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra

I'd go with what AF said. You can build very good phono amps with either technology, but it's usually easier and cheaper with solid state.

--Andre

stewartu

Reaction score
I think that this is largely nostalgia for a time that never was.

The quality of the audio equipment we can afford today far outstrips anything any of us could/would have owned in our teens.

Yes, albums were fun to handle and play with but I think the benefits of digital accessibility and usability far outweigh this.

By the way, get a high quality set of headphones and you will re-discover all of your music. I recommend Grado S80i's or Sennheiser HD380's.

Merry Christmas.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stewartu
Yes, albums were fun to handle and play with but I think the benefits of digital accessibility and usability far outweigh this.

For many of us, sound quality >> convenience.

Some inexperienced listeners may find AAC and MP3 files "good enough" but that's the equivalent of saying fused suits are "good enough".
teacha.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads