1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Vinyl Records and Turntables Are Gaining Sales.

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by LabelKing, Dec 18, 2009.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Analog also allows one to fulfill one's accessorizing yen--carbon fibre brushes, antistatic guns, record clamps/weights, Tiptoe feet, styus force gauges, tiny stylus bruhes, etc.

2. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

3. audiophilia

Analog also allows one to fulfill one's accessorizing yen--carbon fibre brushes, antistatic guns, record clamps/weights, Tiptoe feet, styus force gauges, tiny stylus bruhes, etc.

hell yeah, lk

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

dbx nasty [​IMG]
    Are you a Dolby proponent? Dolby and dbx seem to be much more common in reel to reel setups to get rid of any probable tape hiss, which is why I suppose one doesn't hear much about them now.

5. robbie

robbie Senior member

LK, am i correct in my reading? do you record your LP's to Reel to Reel tapes? Where do you find the tapes? I feel like I've read/heard something about them no longer producing reel to reel tape.

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

LK, am i correct in my reading? do you record your LP's to Reel to Reel tapes? Where do you find the tapes? I feel like I've read/heard something about them no longer producing reel to reel tape.
    I do this for some of my rarer records, and also sometimes to see what kind of sound I can get with the dbx expansion. My tape machine was bias calibrated for Maxell UD-35 180 tape so I buy that from places like ebay since Maxell doesn't produce tape anymore. You can still buy new tape from a Dutch producer, and I think Quantagy.

7. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

that Rega P1 is sex. want.

i hate dolby.

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

The dbx expander can cause breathing when it mispredicts what the signal's going to do --- you can hear it exaggerate background noise, or clamp down very rapidly on noise. It was an effort to get better dynamic range.

You can still find this concept in modern digital systems, like CD's and DVD-A's preemphasis flag, or HDCD's hidden subcode, which are all more reliable indicators to the expander than something that just tried to look at the signal itself in the analog domain.

--Andre

9. audiophilia

that Rega P1 is sex. want.

i hate dolby.

+1

10. audiophilia

DVD-A

Ugh!

I have a reel to reel of Solti/Vienna/Das Rosenkavalier live (given to me by a member of the Vienna Phil).

Still, one of the greatest sounding sources I have, if not the greatest.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

The dbx expander can cause breathing when it mispredicts what the signal's going to do --- you can hear it exaggerate background noise, or clamp down very rapidly on noise. It was an effort to get better dynamic range.

You can still find this concept in modern digital systems, like CD's and DVD-A's preemphasis flag, or HDCD's hidden subcode, which are all more reliable indicators to the expander than something that just tried to look at the signal itself in the analog domain.

--Andre

The breathing was more evident if you expanded too much at the highs. This was somewhat lessened with the 3bx model, which required the user to manually adjust low, medium and high bands.

12. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Nice picture of your turntable, AF. Could you describe how the shot was set up?

Sure, I used a halogen light at a 45 degree angle shining through the blue vinyl which illuminated the translucent platter - my listening room at the time had a black felt wall which helped. I then put a Canon A620 on a tripod about 18 inches from the table and framed the shot trying to focus on the cartridge.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

What sort of mat do you use on that platter?

14. Artisan Fan

What sort of mat do you use on that platter?

No mat at all. The acrylic is designed to couple with vinyl well already. I may add the SuperPlatter in soon to add more mass though.

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I want one of the high-end Micro-Seiki tables:

[​IMG]

16. Artisan Fan

^I would buy an Avid Sequel any day over that. Plus you could mount a better SME arm on it.

17. audiophilia

^I would buy an Avid Sequel any day over that. Plus you could mount a better SME arm on it.

Loved the Sequel but not a fan of SME arms.

18. Artisan Fan

Loved the Sequel but not a fan of SME arms.

What don't you like about them? A friend has a 4.6 on his Sequel and it sounds heavenly to me.

19. George

George Senior member

I had a Linn Sondek turntable with a Naim ARO tonearm and a Troika cartridge in the early nineties. Great sound.

20. Artisan Fan

I had a Linn Sondek turntable with a Naim ARO tonearm and a Troika cartridge in the early nineties. Great sound.

That's a nice rig. My recording buddy Nick has a Linn LP12 with mods and a Benz cartridge. Sounds very good indeed.