• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Vintage Watches

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I get them? I found a site called tias.com that has cool art deco era stuff and also a good vintage watch collection. Are they to be trusted? Are there any good ebay sellers?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I would stay away from eBay, at least the sellers without a separate web presence. Mechanical watches are finicky things, and vintage mechanical watches even more so. You want a seller that offers a warranty and a track record of standing behind its products.

Here are some sellers of nice vintage watches (I should note that I have not purchased anything from any of them):

www.finertimes.com

www.artoftime.com

www.wannabuyawatch.com

www.fathertimeantiques.com

www.yorktime.com

www.watchestobuy.com

www.coolvintagewatches.com

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I would stay away from eBay, at least the sellers without a separate web presence. Mechanical watches are finicky things, and vintage mechanical watches even more so. You want a seller that offers a warranty and a track record of standing behind its products.

Here are some sellers of nice vintage watches (I should note that I have not purchased anything from any of them):

www.finertimes.com

www.artoftime.com

www.wannabuyawatch.com

www.fathertimeantiques.com

www.yorktime.com

www.watchestobuy.com

www.coolvintagewatches.com

I have purchased watches from Yorktime and Watchestobuy and was satisfied with them

WatchGuy

Reaction score
Along with those Sterling Times is good as well. Their pictures aren't the greatest, but they are always in good shape and come freshly serviced when you get them.

www.sterling-times.com

ACDoyle

Reaction score
on ebay try philwatch, has a perfect record and have purchased 2 watches.
They also give a 1 year warranty

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you deal with vintage watches it's important to have access to a competent local watchmaker who has experience with vintage.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WatchGuy
Along with those Sterling Times is good as well. Their pictures aren't the greatest, but they are always in good shape and come freshly serviced when you get them.

www.sterling-times.com

My boss just got that watch you have in your avatar. He said it was ceramic or something.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike C.
My boss just got that watch you have in your avatar. He said it was ceramic or something.

it's not ceramic - the watch in the avatar is an IWC big pilot and only comes in a steel or platinum case (the one pictured here is the steel version). Your boss probably got either the new ceramic flieger (below left) or an old 3705 ceramic flieger (below right).

GMF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Mechanical watches are finicky things, and vintage mechanical watches even more so.
Completely untrue. A properly serviced mechanical watch movement (providing the original design is sound) is a very robust piece of micro-machinery. I collect vintage Gruen watches and one dress watch I wear quite often is a 70-year-old 17 jewel Gruen Veri-Thin. It was serviced last year, keeps excellent time (on par with some of my much, much newer Rolexes), and looks like a million bucks. Here is one of my pocket watches, a Gruen VeriThin Louis XIV in green gold that is over 80 years old. The movement is a chronometer grade 17 jewel with a swan's neck regulator.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice watch. But I tend to agree that vintage watches are indeed finicky things... unless you have them serviced regularly of course

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 280 33.2%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40