• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Watch Thread (Pre-1990's watches only)

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up the forstnerbands remake of the bonklip and so far am enjoying it on different watches

E1B74B2F-19C5-4B2B-AB32-4A4D20FFB0F9.jpeg

B158DA33-851B-4F51-8A2D-FDF0F264B88A.jpeg

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is awesome, it is comfortable? Can you possibly post and underside shot? I have seen these, but I don’t quite understand how they latch.

*edit* Beautiful pieces btw.

-DL

Thanks! and sorry for the delayed response. here are two pics that might help:

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

The clasp is a bit fiddly but once you get used to it it's quite easy to use

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seiko Lassale, my great grandfather's. I got it when he passed

IMG_20200917_203507.jpg
IMG_20200917_203511.jpg

michaelvl

Reaction score

Is that watch safe to wear? My best guess is that the numerals and hands are painted with a Radium containing lume. Radium is a Gamma emitter, the emitted radioactivity passes effortlessly through many different materials like steel and glass. Radium has a half-life of around 1600 years, so the Radium is pretty much as active as when it left the factory many decades ago.
I would recommend having it checked with a Geiger counter, you'll be shocked how much radioactivity some of these old watches can still give off, many are according to modern standards considered unsafe to wear for more than a few minutes.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that watch safe to wear? My best guess is that the numerals and hands are painted with a Radium containing lume. Radium is a Gamma emitter, the emitted radioactivity passes effortlessly through many different materials like steel and glass. Radium has a half-life of around 1600 years, so the Radium is pretty much as active as when it left the factory many decades ago.
I would recommend having it checked with a Geiger counter, you'll be shocked how much radioactivity some of these old watches can still give off, many are according to modern standards considered unsafe to wear for more than a few minutes.

I appreciate the concern, however this is a tritium dial, likely from the late 60’s early 70’s and while it’s not completely safe either, it is a heck of a lot better and a wrist full of Radium.

It’s hard to see but there is a tiny T on the dial:
E053B199-B111-4A55-B18B-5180DFAFF7DD.jpeg

-DL

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@cchen - Congrats on the IWC. I absolutely love those older Ingenieurs. If I were ever to get an IWC, those vintage Ingenieurs and the vintage Yacht Clubs are the most appealing to me.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, gents! I wasn't able to inspect it in person but all the pics checked out so hoping it's ok. Early IWC is quite interesting and still somewhat undiscovered and there's still value there. I have also been searching for a SL but seems like interest is already increasing by those who are priced out of Nautilus' and Royal Oaks. Will post some pics when it arrives.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads