• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Watch Thread (Pre-1990's watches only)

jiredell

Reaction score
I always see dudes at Pitti wearing 2 watches (Lino Ieluzzi comes to mind) and I always thought WTF? Never thought that, duh, there might be a functional reason.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wearing two watches at a time is one of those things, like wearing a watch over your shirt sleeve, that sounds okay in theory but generally doesn't work in real life. A few years ago I saw a post in a watch forum of someone trying to pull an "Agnelli" by wearing a Panerai over a sweater sleeve. Nope, nope, nope.

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
I always see dudes at Pitti wearing 2 watches (Lino Ieluzzi comes to mind) and I always thought WTF? Never thought that, duh, there might be a functional reason.
Completely normal. I always wear an ankle watch too, in case both of my hands (left and the other one) happened to be bound behind my back. When at Pitti, no one can tell what might happen...

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Old and comfortable today.
0D6D13DB-4E6C-4C1C-87AC-DE2F13F11DAF.jpeg

-DL

coldbrew

Reaction score
Any thoughts on the Rolex 16013? What dial should I get?

johnnymiz

Reaction score
1955 Bulova day date automatic
It's got a little patina on the dial that I chose to keep
My grandfather's watch. We called it his zizzzy watch becacause every morning he would shake his wrist for a few mins to wind it and you could hear it go zizz zizz zizz as he shook it
20200520_104006.jpg

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I am wearing my grandfathers Wittnauer Perpetual Calendar “2002.”
A1F6A38F-4D1C-4257-B074-4215F66F395C.jpeg
2A3E927F-E295-457D-8A70-20B3275DFF9C.jpeg
A1C777FA-FCE5-4774-92D7-6BA171C78BEF.jpeg

This is dated from approximately 1971 to 1975 and came to me when he passed. The band is in pretty tough shape but the watch still works well when wound.
This version has the golden case and golden dial and, from what I have read this may have been made in Japan by Orient.
Unfortunately the Calendar only went through 2015. Still, it is a cool remembrance piece for me. I may end up getting a leather band for this (perhaps from DL) at some point in the future.
Hope you enjoy.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I am wearing my grandfathers Wittnauer Perpetual Calendar “2002.”
View attachment 1392116 View attachment 1392117 View attachment 1392118
This is dated from approximately 1971 to 1975 and came to me when he passed. The band is in pretty tough shape but the watch still works well when wound.
This version has the golden case and golden dial and, from what I have read this may have been made in Japan by Orient.
Unfortunately the Calendar only went through 2015. Still, it is a cool remembrance piece for me. I may end up getting a leather band for this (perhaps from DL) at some point in the future.
Hope you enjoy.

Awesome piece. I think a snuff suede strap would look great!

-DL

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Battle scars are the best parts. I think this is why I struggle to buy brand new pieces.

Patina > Perfect

-DL

I think my own battle scars are fine. I just don't find charm in wearing someone else's. I wouldn't mind owning a vintage watch if I had bought it new.

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
I find it hard to relate to people who are excited to buy new watches, new furniture, new silverware, new crystal, new laptops. All these things are much much better second hand. Yes, I am talking about antique or vintage purchases and not used Crate and Barrel.
Vintage watches have so much more character and secrets. I like them with patina, I like to imagine who wore them before me and what stories they could have told...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads