• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Watch Thread (Pre-1990's watches only)

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the "Caliber" of some of the other postings, but I really enjoy my Spaceview customized with green shell strap.
View attachment 1359317

That is my favorite part of this thread. No value is placed except for the year. Your Accutron is just as viable as @Andy57 Pepsi, which is gorgeous by the way.

This thread is fire by the way, thank you all for participating.

-DL

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is my favorite part of this thread. No value is placed except for the year. Your Accutron is just as viable as @Andy57 Pepsi, which is gorgeous by the way.

This thread is fire by the way, thank you all for participating.

-DL
This thread is more my style for that reason. The main watch thread is certainly awesome to look at, but there's so many rarely seen (on there) vintage watches that are even more interesting.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A Spaceview has been high on my list ever since seeing the Richard Rogers video featuring it.

Do you wear it often or is an occasional watch?
I learned about them from a customer that had been daily wearing his for decades, and knew I had to have one.

I wear it quite regularly, sometimes for a week straight. I've got five watches in rotation. I'm partial to gold tone over silver tone metals, so combine that with my love of green and it gets worn at least as much as any other watch in my collection.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here purchased a vintage watch off eBay? Most of the ones I've seen are laughably bad--destroyed dial or bad redial, overly polished case, incorrect service parts. I've bought one, but it was the eBay account of a fairly well-known seller of vintage watches with his own website.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I’m not a vintage watch collector, but I would be very wary of buying vintage off of eBay, unless one knows the seller very well and there’s at least some guarantee involved.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here purchased a vintage watch off eBay? Most of the ones I've seen are laughably bad--destroyed dial or bad redial, overly polished case, incorrect service parts. I've bought one, but it was the eBay account of a fairly well-known seller of vintage watches with his own website.

I have bought a few, including my Gallet, Cyma, and a 14060M. The key is patience in heaps. If anything seems weird in any way at all, super low price, uninsured shipping, no response to questions, I bail out. There are way to many options out there to have to make any specific deal go through.

I also asked to facetime with one of the sellers which was reassuring. There is always some risk, but most pieces are what they seem.

-DL

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yes, quite a few. you have to know what you're buying. there used to be under the radar deals but these days those are virtually gone

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WWW today

IMG_0432.jpg

jiredell

Reaction score

What the others said above. Buy the seller, which it looks like you’ve already done once. If it’s too good to be true it can’t be real. Never buy anything without seeing the movement. Do extensive research on the watch you’re interested in, which also sounds like you’ve done if you know when a watch has been redialled. Polishing’s usually easy to see. I’d say the biggest issue is frankens, where all sorts of different components go into making a “vintage” watch. If I was planning to buy something substantial, I’d use Chrono24, or a reputable vintage watch dealer, or an authorised dealer. There are some other great places like Second Time Around in LA. Never buy anything from India.

I bought this Vostok on eBay (wore this yesterday):
5E6B0E40-95A1-4B83-BB06-654410EBB852.jpeg

I’ve been pleased with it and have had it without issues for 2 years so far. But, Soviet watches are usually around $40–unless it’s one of the popular models, like the Raketa Big Zero, which is regularly faked—so, generally, not a big ticket item.

jiredell

Reaction score
I’d love to see other folks’ vintage watches. Please keep the pics coming!

The other day I wore my Citizen Bullhead, which I bought before Brad Pitt’s character in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood came out sporting one. I doubt the watch would ever achieve something like Paul Newman Daytona-like status, but it’d be cool if it did!

Mine’s a bit beat up. Maybe one day I’ll invest I a new bezel, but it works perfectly.

2BEDEE86-8B79-4A0F-8FF8-211A84E71267.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads