• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Vintage Watch Thread (Pre-1990's watches only)

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you like vintage watches, you need to check out Shuck the Oyster. Not cheap, but this dealer gets the best stuff. He had a Gallet Snow White similar to @DavidLane's that sold out in less than an hour.

jiredell

Reaction score
The latest find. Clean movement that’s working well, but could use a tuneup, which shall commence once I find the right rose gold case for this. Originals are hard to come by, unless the entire watch is already put together, which kind of defeats the purpose of getting this for next to nothing.
541E0AA1-94AA-417B-B2ED-F21EF8455AAE.jpeg

I love the dial.
EF32BFFD-B2F5-4937-9A04-08108D202CB7.jpeg

Opethian

Reaction score
Those lugs tho. :thumbs-up:

-DL
I remember it didn't cost much as well.
The latest find. Clean movement that’s working well, but could use a tuneup, which shall commence once I find the right rose gold case for this. Originals are hard to come by, unless the entire watch is already put together, which kind of defeats the purpose of getting this for next to nothing.View attachment 1357712
I love the dial.View attachment 1357713
Good luck with this exciting project

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Do you have any dealbreakers when it comes to wear on vintage watches, aside from the obvious like a destroyed dial? Mine are incorrect replacement parts (other than the crown, which I am okay with so long as it goes with the rest of the watch) and an overly polished case. I am good with pretty much everything else if I really like the watch.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score
Do you have any dealbreakers when it comes to wear on vintage watches, aside from the obvious like a destroyed dial? Mine are incorrect replacement parts (other than the crown, which I am okay with so long as it goes with the rest of the watch) and an overly polished case. I am good with pretty much everything else if I really like the watch.
Aside from replacement parts, mine are redials. Most of them are terrible. The exceptions are old military watches which were redialed or touched to as a matter of course. Not to say that there aren’t plenty of messed up dirty dozen watches.

That said, I like watches that were deliberately changed from day 1, like the X-large Rolex that I wanted.

Phileas Fogg

Reaction score
It seems to me that buyers in the vintage market are much like vintage/antique furniture market. They value no tampering with the original.

jiredell

Reaction score
Agree on the redials, perhaps with certain exceptions. Below is a redial. The “Geneve” shouldn’t be ALL CAPS like that, but I’ve seen this same redial before, and perhaps not coincidentally, those I’ve seen have been in Southern latitudes, and apparently the original paint on these Omegas was susceptible to high humidity. Also probably not a coincidence is that the redials I’ve seen were done on watches of around the same period (mid 1960s-1970s, with the redials coinciding within that decade). In other words I didn’t do the redial, and wouldn’t have, but I think the same company was doing them. I don’t think it was an Omega factory redial, which tend to look—believe it or not—worse. But also—and this may be specific to me, I think redial or not, when you come across a nearly-destroyed gem hidden in a pile of trash and you’re able to rescue it, there’s something to be said about that.
91EA05AC-DD63-4D11-AEF5-2A5DDABDE16E.jpeg

For me, this is kind of like my old 1964 Cadillac Sedan de Ville:
08BD2AEC-D633-4783-852D-D746E3D2254A.jpeg

I’d have loved for everything to be original, but some things just had to be redone. I had a new windshield made, replaced the AC unit with one from a Corvette, etc. Had I unlimited funds I could’ve taken my time and sourced a lot of original parts and materials. But as it was it was still one badass machine!

Anyway: no redial here! And this old lady has weathered—well, god knows what—but so far as I know, she’s still making through one pandemic, and keeping perfect time!
8228444E-52D4-4646-A8CF-577FFEA00C44.jpeg

27B4C064-6309-4E0B-94AA-4E9886062E4D.jpeg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.