• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Watch Thread (Pre-1990's watches only)

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks fantastic! They (Baltic) really do a fantastic job with design. I have seen them in the metal once, but would love to hear your thoughts overall on the piece!

-DL

Sorry for my late reply to your question. Overall, great watch that punches above its price point. A few nitpicky things:

1. case shape - basic, you don't get the curves and finishing at this price level
2. case design - at least for me, the lugs are a bit too long
3. thickness - thicker than anticipated, despite it being a manual wind
4. dial - love the two different finishes.

I haven't had any QC issues with mine but note that a few other collectors had problems with theirs that needed to be sent back.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for my late reply to your question. Overall, great watch that punches above its price point. A few nitpicky things:

1. case shape - basic, you don't get the curves and finishing at this price level
2. case design - at least for me, the lugs are a bit too long
3. thickness - thicker than anticipated, despite it being a manual wind
4. dial - love the two different finishes.

I haven't had any QC issues with mine but note that a few other collectors had problems with theirs that needed to be sent back.

No worries, I was just curious. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

-DL

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one just landed. Always love applied breguet numerals

IMG_3430.jpg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a few of my pre-1990 divers:

photo-feb-25-1-16-44-pm-jpg.1758886

photo-feb-25-1-17-09-pm-jpg.1758887

photo-feb-25-1-17-31-pm-jpg.1758888

photo-feb-25-1-17-44-pm-jpg.1758889

FWIW, I was looking something up about one of the Super Pros the other day and was astonished to see how much their listed for these days on eBay. It seems they have sort of skyrocketed in price compared to what I paid a few years back.

The 2nd hand market is definitely strange and inconsistent though, especially when you're not talking about Rolex or PP which just seem to go up and up. I remember buying a 2nd gen Seiko Monster for well below retail maybe 10 years ago and then in 2018-2020 they were going for a couple hundred above original MSRP. On a whim a few weeks ago I got an itch for a black 2nd gen Monster and looked at some listings and was able to find a NOS one for about $150. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How have I missed this thread? Or maybe I haven't and I've just forgotten (the drawback of age).

While I have a good number of recent watches I am much more a fan of vintage International Watch Company and Jaeger LeCoultre pieces. I'm wearing what I think is probably a 50's or 60's IWC ... black face ... steel case today. I'll go out and take a pic and add it.

I find I truly have more affinity for these watches than the newer ones. They are lower key and that appeals to me.

Attachments

• IMG_5582.jpg
    IMG_5582.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 31

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FWIW, I was looking something up about one of the Super Pros the other day and was astonished to see how much their listed for these days on eBay. It seems they have sort of skyrocketed in price compared to what I paid a few years back.

The 2nd hand market is definitely strange and inconsistent though, especially when you're not talking about Rolex or PP which just seem to go up and up. I remember buying a 2nd gen Seiko Monster for well below retail maybe 10 years ago and then in 2018-2020 they were going for a couple hundred above original MSRP. On a whim a few weeks ago I got an itch for a black 2nd gen Monster and looked at some listings and was able to find a NOS one for about $150. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Great set of Heuer's. I started looking at watches just after this time period which is a shame. They moved to the big plastic bezels which I never liked.

-DL

Reactions: RSS

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How have I missed this thread? Or maybe I haven't and I've just forgotten (the drawback of age).

While I have a good number of recent watches I am much more a fan of vintage International Watch Company and Jaeger LeCoultre pieces. I'm wearing what I think is probably a 50's or 60's IWC ... black face ... steel case today. I'll go out and take a pic and add it.

I find I truly have more affinity for these watches than the newer ones. They are lower key and that appeals to me.

Those older IWC's are fantastic. They had some great movements too, the Caliber 89 comes to mind.

-DL

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great set of Heuer's. I started looking at watches just after this time period which is a shame. They moved to the big plastic bezels which I never liked.

-DL

I used to hate those Tag Heuer “Formula 1” watches with the big plastic bezels. They reminded me of an over-priced Swatch but over the past few years they’ve really grown on me.

I’ve been keeping my eye out for one with the white dial and blue and red bezel at a good price. It screams 1990s to me, but in a good way and I guess I’m just willing to spend a few hundred $$$ on some nostalgia!

Not my photo:
703F5857-61D8-4AB1-9176-4172A2B97D0D.jpeg

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to hate those Tag Heuer “Formula 1” watches with the big plastic bezels. They reminded me of an over-priced Swatch but over the past few years they’ve really grown on me.

I’ve been keeping my eye out for one with the white dial and blue and red bezel at a good price. It screams 1990s to me, but in a good way and I guess I’m just willing to spend a few hundred $$$ on some nostalgia!

Not my photo:
View attachment 1759963

Agreed. That is a good one. I have a soft spot for the Seiko Kinetic's from the same era for all the 90's goodness:
1646079276278.png

-DL

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those older IWC's are fantastic. They had some great movements too, the Caliber 89 comes to mind.
Think this one is an 852. Had my favorite watchmaker open it for me recently. Very nice.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very cool. My first watch was a quartz Tag Heuer diver's watch circa 1995. I wore it until 02, then my wife wore it for at least another 10 years. First the date wheel stopped working then it finally died but I still have it and the box.

DSC01032.jpg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very cool. My first watch was a quartz Tag Heuer diver's watch circa 1995. I wore it until 02, then my wife wore it for at least another 10 years. First the date wheel stopped working then it finally died but I still have it and the box.

View attachment 1759990

I like that one. You can definitely see the DNA of my old Super Pro’s in that one.

If you ever wanted to get it up and running, I imagine it would be a pretty simple job for a watchmaker to swap the movement, though I’m not sure how much a replacement quartz movement would cost. I know some Tags from that era used Ronda quartz movements, which should be readily available and relatively inexpensive but some others used Dubois Depraz which might be a bit more difficult to source.Though it’s possible that there are some Ronda movements out there that might fit the case even if that’s not what they originally used.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads