• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage watch help

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage watches are meant for people just starting out in this hobby. Rare/complicated vintage watches are meant for the dedicated big pocket collectors. Not much in between.

I'd choose a modern watch as an everyday watch. Vintage watches are a pain to care for, esp. when it has some complication like an RDM or moonphase.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey, what's with the hate for vintage watches? I wear one every day of the week. Naturally, I don't go swimming with them, but I don't need a watch when I'm swimming. When I work out, I wear a digital...I'd never wear a mechanical of any age during my workouts.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
Vintage watches are meant for people just starting out in this hobby.

That isn't true. Plenty of long-term collectors collect and enjoy a wide range of vintage watches.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vintage watches are meant for people just starting out in this hobby. Rare/complicated vintage watches are meant for the dedicated big pocket collectors. Not much in between.

BS

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a follow-up post. I took to the vintage WWII Alpha into Aaron Faber in NY. He quoted a price that he would net to me once it is sold. I signed a consignment agreement and will get paid the agreed to price following it's sale. The experience was very easy and business-like. Of course, they can sell it for whatever price they want. But I am happy with the terms and potential net price.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Vintage watches are meant for people just starting out in this hobby. Rare/complicated vintage watches are meant for the dedicated big pocket collectors. Not much in between. I'd choose a modern watch as an everyday watch. Vintage watches are a pain to care for, esp. when it has some complication like an RDM or moonphase.
Nonsense. I recall reading an interview with F.P.Journe where he says that he used to see a man--Cecil Sam Clutton--who wore a complicated Breguet (a real Breguet made by the man himself) pocket-watch in one pocket and a custom George Daniels pocket-watch in the other. In fact, many old pocket-watches are eminently wearable and accurate, but most people don't even bother to wear a wristwatch so what can one expect?

petitnoblesse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MichaelE
Some clarification of the Luftwaffe might be in order.

The German Air Force had very few Party members other than higher ranking officers. Rank-and-file pilots, support personnel, and administrative types were not often Party members, and many were members of the military even before Hitler became dictator and the NAZI Party came to power.

A NAZI was a member of the political party and after about 1938 it became increasingly difficult to join the Party if you were inclined to do so.

Most German military members, especially in the Luftwaffe served honerably and many with distinction and were not NAZI's. FYI, there was no SS Luftwaffe division, flight, or squadron. Ever.

This does not mean I agree with, nor condone what occured in NAZI Germany during the period of 1928 to 1945, it is just some insight on the Luftwaffe as it relates to the NAZI Party.

There is no need to sell your watch based on mis-information you may have read or heard about.

On the other hand these "honorable" men served a despot and mass murderer, they helped kill tens of thousands in an effort to support Hitler and his henchman. There is no honor in being German soldier in WWII, brave sure, honorable never.

Ok off the soapbox now.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by petitnoblesse
On the other hand these "honorable" men served a despot and mass murderer, they helped kill tens of thousands in an effort to support Hitler and his henchman. There is no honor in being German soldier in WWII, brave sure, honorable never. Ok off the soapbox now.
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...542245,00.html http://www.amazon.co.uk/GERMAN-ARMY-.../dp/1565845250 http://books.google.com/books?id=yEI...ottom-3results And there are so many more showing the myth that the military wasn't involved with Nazi atrocities.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MichaelE
Some clarification of the Luftwaffe might be in order.

The German Air Force had very few Party members other than higher ranking officers. Rank-and-file pilots, support personnel, and administrative types were not often Party members, and many were members of the military even before Hitler became dictator and the NAZI Party came to power.

A NAZI was a member of the political party and after about 1938 it became increasingly difficult to join the Party if you were inclined to do so.

Most German military members, especially in the Luftwaffe served honerably and many with distinction and were not NAZI's. FYI, there was no SS Luftwaffe division, flight, or squadron. Ever.

This does not mean I agree with, nor condone what occured in NAZI Germany during the period of 1928 to 1945, it is just some insight on the Luftwaffe as it relates to the NAZI Party.

There is no need to sell your watch based on mis-information you may have read or heard about.

I was actually under the impression that the Luftwaffe, being Goering's pet, was the branch most influenced by Nazi ideology (after the SS, of course.)

The Heer and Kriegsmarine had their roots in old Imperial Germany, and the old Prussian junkers still in charge had more interest in social status and warfighting than politics.

In any case, a nice watch that I would have no qualms with wearing, (my politics have no effect on my affinity for Cuban cigars or Persian rugs,) but if you're feeling self-concious about its origins, it would be best to get rid of it.

m_wave

Reaction score
Lovely watch.. a shame to trade it for a Panerai really

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads