• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage suit skinny lapels no lining thin iridescent fabric... what is it?

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
This was my thrift store find today, along with a basic gray 52L for my best friend who is larger.

The only tag says Tropic Hall. Only the sleeves of the jacket and the sides around the sleeves are lined.

What is it? What would you call it? What might the fabric be? What would you wear it with? Is it cool?

I havent decided whether to keep it and get the pants altered, put it on eBay, sell it on here, etc. It was just too unusual to pass up!

Here are the pictures, I tried to capture the colors:

vintage1.jpg

vintage2.jpg

vintage3.jpg

vintage4.jpg

vintage5.jpg

vintage6.jpg

Modernist

Reaction score
It appears to be some kind of 60's sack (no darts on the front of the jacket) suit in tonic fabric. It might be some mohair blend, but since you mention that the fabric is thin, perhaps something man-made, like terylene? Mohair/terylene/wool blends were quite popular back then (in one scene Michael Caine, playing Alfie, tries to impress a young bird by mentioning that his suit is made of that new terylene mohair). The sheen also is more consistent with that of a mohair/terylene blend than an only mohair blend cloth.

It must also have a single vent, correct? And I see two buttons per sleeve cuff. Perfect suit for the wardrobe of "Mad Men". More Pete Campbell than Don Drapper.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Single vent is correct! No mention of what the material is, but it's very thin (holding it up towards the light I can see right through it) and very lightweight.

Modernist

Reaction score
I've edited a bit of my previous post, adding some more things. Anyway, now that you mention that it is lightweight, I'm as sure as I can be, without having inspected the suit in person, that the fabric must contain some percentage of terylene. All the mohair that I've seen from that period is quite heavy actually. Also it must feel smooth to the skin, right? Not scratchy?

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
It's actually kind of rough to the touch, like very fine canvas.

I have no idea what you refer to about the pants. The waistband is VERY thin, and they dont have pleats. Is that what you mean? I can take pictures if interested.

Modernist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy
It's actually kind of rough to the touch, like very fine canvas.

I have no idea what you refer to about the pants. The waistband is VERY thin, and they dont have pleats. Is that what you mean? I can take pictures if interested.

Flat fronts means just that, no pleats. Rise is the distance from the crotch to the waistband.

But not scratchy? Mohair back then was scratchy as hell. But sure looked nice. Like chainmail.

Anyway, great find there. Does it fit you? Look for inspiration on old jazz, soul and r'n'b record covers (Blue Note, Motown, 50s-60s stuff). "Mad Men" of course. You've got yourself a great suit there. Depending on the music you play, it can be perfect for stage. White shirt, slim tie, tie bar optional, black shoes, a hollow body guitar and you're set for Blue Note, Chess or Vee-Jay.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
More pictures as requested:

vintage7.jpg

vintage8.jpg

vintage9.jpg

The jacket fits me reasonably well, the pants I think will require alterations. It screams "white shirt and skinny tie" which is not at all my style, but pretty much required here!

If I decide to flip it, is it worth anything?

tlmusic

Reaction score
Nice find! I've owned several suits just like yours--one green, one gold and one blue. That material is usually referred to as "sharkskin" by vintage clothing enthusiasts. It probably dates from the mid 1960's.

Modernist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Tonik perhaps?

No, I don't think so. Tonik was not just rough to the hand, but scratchy. Also the weave was more open. And of course it was definitely not lightweight. Another client of my tailor had brought a vintage length of RAF blue Dormeuil Tonik mohair to him, and I had the chance to look it closely. It doesn't look anything like that. More like some vintage mohair/terylene/wool blends that I've seen.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Here's Sinatra wearing a blue sharkskin suit, circa 1967.

lps010ui9.jpg

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Sharkskin! I knew it! I'd heard that before, and that was my thought upon seeing it on the rack.

What color would you call this one?

tlmusic

Reaction score
Often 50s 60s sharkskin is made of rayon and acetate. Could that be the material?

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy
Sharkskin! I knew it! I'd heard that before, and that was my thought upon seeing it on the rack.

What color would you call this one?

It looks greenish gold on my monitor. Is there also a hint of blue?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads