• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage-styled sneakers for wider feet

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
I really like the look of vintage-styled canvas sneakers and deck shoes like Doek, Novesta, Converse, Wakouwa, Reproduction of Found etc. However, I find most all of them to be an absolute nightmare for wider-footed guys! Let's take the Novesta low-tops, which are a cheap-ish, popular alternative here in Europe. While they are advertised to be rather wide, I found them much too narrow: having a UK10 foot, I tried them in 44 and 45, but both were at least 1.5cm too narrow for my feet. In size 44, the insole was just over 9cm in its widest part, which seems very narrow to me. Doek was even narrower, and Converse is notorious for its narrow forefoot. Every model by reproduction of Found I've tried has had the same issue.

It's not that my feet are even -that- wide – Alden Barrie in US10.5D is pretty spot on for me, if just a tiny bit too narrow for my forefoot (but perfectly okay once broken in), so I don't even need any of the EEE models. If I'm having difficulties, I can't imagine what it is like for truly wide-footed guys! The reason for my wider feet is that I have walked with barefoot shoes for years, and my feet and toes have gotten used to being free to wiggle around and grip the floor.

So, does anyone know any good brands or models with wider toeboxes and the styling I am looking for? If these kind of shoes just don't exist, how about wider 70's-80's "retro running sneakers"? I have tried on the RoF French Army Sneakers in EU44, and they seemed quite narrow, but it might just be that I didn't pick the right size. The "retro sneaker" look isn't my favourite, but I guess it would do. I need some footwear for the summer, as loafers don't fit my wide forefoot + low foot volume + small hell combo.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have wide forefeet (but narrow heels) and remember PF Flyers fitting pretty decently.

Philby

Reaction score
I am very interested in this question as well. I am considering giving the Noveseta Marathons a try.

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
I have wide forefeet (but narrow heels) and remember PF Flyers fitting pretty decently.
Thanks for the tip. However, they seem to be hard to find here in Europe, and they do not look wide at all to me: https://www.pfflyers.com/pd/classic...?dwvar_MC2002-M_style=MC2002BL#style=MC2002WT

I am very interested in this question as well. I am considering giving the Noveseta Marathons a try.
If you try them out, please tell how they fit :) I am also considering them.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im in Europe - ordered PF flyers from US Ebay (but this was long ago). They are wider in the toebox than say converse. I also think there are some differences between styles.

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
Probably not the styling you are after, but these look great to me (for a toe friendly fit) https://www.amazon.com/Birchbury-Bramfords-Toe-Box-Ultra-Soft-Minimalist/dp/B087795N1Y
Yes, that toe box looks quite comfortable! When doing sports or walking in the nature, I love to use similar Merrell or Vivobarefoot sneakers; however, like you said, the styling just isn't doing it for me :)
Im in Europe - ordered PF flyers from US Ebay (but this was long ago). They are wider in the toebox than say converse. I also think there are some differences between styles.
Ah, I see. Not too crazy about buying from the US, the customs and postage are a bit of a hassle.

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
I finally found a pair which was good for my feet – but which is just very ugly. Enter the Be Lenka Champ sneakers.

be-lenka-champ-latte-1.jpeg

It's a barefoot sneaker with a very anatomically correct last that most would consider hideous. But look how close to the shape of my feet they are!

IMG_20210506_193306.jpeg

They feel absolutely heavenly, no pinching anywhere, very light and flexible all over etc. And when looked at a normal distance with casual clothes, I don't think they look too bad. Here, with some dad jeans, a jungle jacket and a Buzz sweat:

IMG-20210506-WA0008.jpeg

I'm never going to wear these with dressier clothing, but for casual summer fits, I think they will be fine. And I don't think I'll ever go back to narrow sneakers again, I just don't think it's worth it to maim your foot for aesthetics.

Philby

Reaction score
If you try them out, please tell how they fit :) I am also considering them.

I got the Novesta Marathons and while they are beautiful shoes - exactly the sort of styling I am after - they are also quite exceedingly narrow for a trainer. Have sized up and might give it a try to see how much give they have, but essentially not suitable. The search for wearable wide-fit trainers continues.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'd written off chucks for a long while since they were too narrow and were killing my piggies who cry whee whee whee, i've been wearing the vintage-spec version (this is the 70s spec) with mid-weight wool hiking socks, they've been amazing.

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
I got the Novesta Marathons and while they are beautiful shoes - exactly the sort of styling I am after - they are also quite exceedingly narrow for a trainer. Have sized up and might give it a try to see how much give they have, but essentially not suitable. The search for wearable wide-fit trainers continues.

Thanks for the heads up, shame to hear that.

i'd written off chucks for a long while since they were too narrow and were killing my piggies who cry whee whee whee, i've been wearing the vintage-spec version (this is the 70s spec) with mid-weight wool hiking socks, they've been amazing.

Thanks, but the 70's version looks very similar to the Novestas, and they seem crazy narrow. Who can honestly wear these? Here's a few photos of my foot on the insole liner:

IMG_20210614_084223.jpeg

IMG_20210614_084206.jpeg

After having used those barefoot sneakers for a month, I could never go back to conventional sneakers. One's toes should not be squished and unable to move when wearing shoes.And my toes are not even that wide compared to people who have been barefoot all their lives...

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but the 70's version looks very similar to the Novestas, and they seem crazy narrow. Who can honestly wear these? Here's a few photos of my foot on the insole liner:

better to listen to your feet for sure

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads