• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage stuff from Vintage Gent

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Another thing: Why don't more people use old cigarette cases as wallets, card-cases etc? A good silver vintage cigarette case can often be had for far less than $100.

I've wondered about this too. I generally dislike wallets and had pretty much taken to carrying cards and money loose in my pockets until I found a beautiful old nickel and black alligator cigarette case. It's just a little bit larger than credit card size and can easily accomodate a couple of cards (who needs more?), a driver's license, a book of stamps, and some money. The flexible bands keep everything in place when you open the case. It's a great wallet and seems to elicit admiration from all who see it. Many of these cigarette cases are beautiful and durable objects that deserve another shot in this increasingly non-smoking world.
Thanks for posting all this beautiful stuff, Lucky Strike. And thank you, Vintage Gent, for getting the ball rolling with those great jackets.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After Lucky Strike's contributions, everything is anticlimactic, but I press on. Three vintage robes, L-R: Richman Brothers, Sulka, Pendleton.

Signed Teddy Roosevelt portrait.

pejsek

Reaction score
Well, I don't know about that. Did you thrift the Roosevelt picture? And that's a beautiful Sulka dressing gown; I love the piping and the fringed belt. Where did you find it? I'm still kicking myself over passing up a great Sulka dressing gown about 10 years ago. It had the rue Castiglione label and looked to be from perhaps the forties--but they wanted $30 for it (which just shocked my sensibilities at the time).

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
Well, I don't know about that. Did you thrift the Roosevelt picture? And that's a beautiful Sulka dressing gown; I love the piping and the fringed belt. Where did you find it? I'm still kicking myself over passing up a great Sulka dressing gown about 10 years ago. It had the rue Castiglione label and looked to be from perhaps the forties--but they wanted $30 for it (which just shocked my sensibilities at the time).
Sulka Paris. The Paris branches of whatever firm(Dunhill, Sulka, etc.) all had better products.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
Well, I don't know about that. Did you thrift the Roosevelt picture? And that's a beautiful Sulka dressing gown; I love the piping and the fringed belt. Where did you find it?

Photo is a family hairloom. The Sulka dressing gown, however, was a thrift store castoff that I found at the Disabled American Veterans thrift in Houston.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love this thread. Maybe we should have a sticky for collectibles.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. I have to compliment several of the posters on this thread. I think there is a real talent to getting ahold of this stuff, and with this quality. This is educational.
Seems like every time I hit the thrift store it's all flea -bitten 70's rejects. You guys were smart enough and discerning enough to spot the diamonds in the rough.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
I love this thread. Maybe we should have a sticky for collectibles.
Yeah, stuff that's not clothing, but is too small/personal for the Home forum. The sort of things you find in the upper floors at Fortnum's.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Here you find them in a somewhat more advanced stage (German as well);
Paul Mathias Padua "Leda und der Schwan", one of Hitler's favourite paintings.

pt-404-nude-swan-75dpi.jpg

The only way I could lose this election now is to be caught with a live swan or a dead dog.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
I'm curioius to know if "vintage"extends to your house and furnishings as well?

Only if you consider "1979" sufficiently vintage for a dwelling. The furnishings are, alas, contemporary.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads