• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Stowa

Off My Rack

Reaction score
I tripped up on a vintage Stowa (claimed to be made in the range of 1940-1950). Does anyone have any ideas of the value of something like this? Its a cool looking watch, but I don't know if its worth buying at the price offered. Any thoughts?

Off My Rack

Reaction score
Looks something like this, but the face just says "Stowa" at the top, and the bottom says "17 Rubis Stossgesiechert" and there is no date

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's mine. I've posted this 1950's Stowa before on the poor man's watch thread. It cost me $200. Then I added a new strap (from Stowa) and serviced it. About $300 all in. I have seen them for less on ebay, but they usually look in poor shape. Make sure you are ok with the size. They fit small.

If you are looking at the actual original flieger watches from the 40's, those are a different story. They go for a couple thousand.

Also, if you are trying to determine if it's original or authentic, that is pretty tough. Stowa doesn't service them, so to get original parts is very difficult. Most probably have been modified.

Last edited:

Off My Rack

Reaction score
That's a killer watch. The one I'm looking at falls more in the rough looking range. Just didn't know if there was any point in spending $100 on a watch that I would still have to invest money in

If you are looking at the actual original flieger watches from the 40's, those are a different story. They go for a couple thousand.

How do you identify these? Markings on the case?

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a killer watch. The one I'm looking at falls more in the rough looking range. Just didn't know if there was any point in spending $100 on a watch that I would still have to invest money in

It's really helfpul to have a local watchmaker who can clean up watches for you at a decent price. All mechanical watches need to be serviced periodically and if you are buying a vintage one, expect to have it serviced.

If it's your first and only watch, I would avoid vintage.

How do you identify these? Markings on the case?

Black face, 55mm dial, unlikely you will see one anyway.

Last edited:

Off My Rack

Reaction score
Clearly not a flieger, then.

I have a few watches under my belt, but I'm trying to work my way up the ladder of quality.

Currently I'm working with a timex weekender, a Seiko quartz that was my grandfather's, and a Seiko given to me about 10 years ago as my first watch.

Sounds like I should let this one pass by for now.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another consideration on these watches, if it has a date function, it is an absolute pain **********. If you don't wear the watch for a week, you have to wind it through each day to catch up.

If it's a serious interest, follow the Watch Appreciation thread for some nice vintage and newer watches.

Last edited:

Gingahbman

Reaction score

Here's mine. I've posted this 1950's Stowa before on the poor man's watch thread. It cost me $200. Then I added a new strap (from Stowa) and serviced it. About $300 all in. I have seen them for less on ebay, but they usually look in poor shape. Make sure you are ok with the size. They fit small.

Also, if you are trying to determine if it's original or authentic, that is pretty tough. Stowa doesn't service them, so to get original parts is very difficult. Most probably have been modified.

Absolutely beautiful. Nice find.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads