• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Sportcoat - From Whom? From When?

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just purchased this good-looking sportcoat from vintage store, after trying on about 15-20 vintage sportcoats with illustrious designer names down the streets, all with too much shoulder padding and typically too-wide lapels. This one fit perfectly but the one thing that bothers me is any labels with the identification of the designer or manufacturer are missing. Also no size. There's an "echo" of where a label was but that's it.

Does anyone have an idea? Does anyone recognize the pattern or even have a coat just like it? The Amalgamated Clothing label indicates it must be made in the U.S. but beyond that I'm stumped. Could it be from the '60s? '80s? I know there are websites that identify the period of a union label but I'd rather not go to the effort to search right now; does anyone have an accurate website or know offhand when this exact union label was used? The pocket flaps are a full 2 3/4", so what does that say as for year range? Jacket is two button, with three on each sleeve. Buttons look original but - again - no designer name. [ATTACHMENT=3885]005.JPG (149k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Last edited:

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[ATTACHMENT=3886]002.JPG (162k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]
[ATTACHMENT=3887]003.JPG (156k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT][ATTACHMENT=3888]004.JPG (154k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Some more photos, of the fabric, for which the identification is missing too.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not 80s. That union label was used from the late 40s through the early 70s. Some sources say it was phased out in 1968, but I've seen a few jackets from the early 70s that still have the label with the sewing machine in the center.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like a trad version of the 70s.
Lowish button stance and wider lapels
than the 60s.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My main seamstress said it looks like Hart, Schaffner & Marx and, indeed, I did see some new HS&M jackets in Dillards that resemble it. Would anyone agree?:decisions:

cropknox

Reaction score
It's not 80s. That union label was used from the late 40s through the early 70s. Some sources say it was phased out in 1968, but I've seen a few jackets from the early 70s that still have the label with the sewing machine in the center.

Similar union labels were used from 1949, however that specific label is from the mid 1970s.

This tag is the copyright 1936 union tag. It was is use from 1936 -1938 (officially), however, it was used contemporaneously with its replacement for a year or so.

This is the copyright 1939 union tag. Note the litte "80" below the second "A" in "America" which differentiates it fromt the 36 tag:

This is the copyright 1949 union tag. It was used from 1949 through the mid 1960.

This it the copyright 1962 union tag. Note the (R) marking on the bottom left which differentiates it from the predicate 1949 design. The 49 tag and 62 tag were used contemporaneously for about 3-4 years. The 62 tag was supplanted by another design in 1976:

The tag the OP posted is a mid 1970s design . . .

. . . and now you call all be vintage pickers.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads