• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage soul music appreciation thread

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
thought i'd start one of these to share what i've been listening to, and to hopefully find out about some songs and musicians i haven't heard of. some recent favorite tracks:

bettye swann - don't you ever get tired of hurting me

the impressions - my deceiving heart

marion black - who knows

larry coney - more time to explain

doris allen - shell of a woman

chairmen of the board - pay to the piper

candi staton - heart on a string

dramatics - whatcha see is whatcha get

the charmels - as long as i've got you (for hip hop fans, pretty much all of the samples from Wu-Tang's "cream" are from this track)

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I'm down with this thread

some of my faves...all stompers that get me on the dancefloor

The Flirtations "Nothing But A Heartache"
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Temptations "Definite Change in you"
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Ad Libs "Boy from NYC"

Supremes "Love is like an itch in my heart"

Miracles "Whole lotta shakin in my heart"

The Olympics "same old thing"

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Betty Harris: Nearer to You:

Big Mama Thornton featuring Buddy Guy: Hound dog:

Etta James: Stormy Weather:

The Marvelettes: Mr. Postman:

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How could I forget.

Etta James: I'd Rather Go Blind:

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
this is the man right here, Geno Washington & Ram Jam Band

a classic tune...well known but it fills the dancefloor when it gets played

Northern classic, we had this song playing at our wedding when the wedding party came out

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
good calls. i can't find a lot of the ones i posted on youtube. how annoying. anyways, this is awesome:

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Not soul per se, more like hammond grooves-soul jazz...but this is the f'ing man Jackie Mittoo

Guy Stevens' "Sue Records" in the UK produced tons of monster tracks..here's one

The uninitiated think this is a Soft Cell song, but the real Faces know what's up!!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
Nina ******* Simone.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by boogaboogabooga
Nina ******* Simone.

i guess i usually think of her as a jazz singer, but then again "break down and let it all out" is one of the craziest deep soul songs ever.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I generally like Northern stuff, dancefloor bombs.

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Joy Lovejoy - In Orbit (real version doesn't have the stupid NASA sample) A lot of the old stuff has terrible production and recording, hard to hear the instruments clearly.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I appreciate this appreciation thread! Edwin Starr: 25 miles

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Not quite "rare" but this performance is amazing: Sam & Dave Stax 66 Europe Tour

aizan

Reaction score
Reggie Garner - Hotline

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. The Contours - Whole Lotta Woman

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. The Metros - Since I Found My Baby

Station

Reaction score
Some of the best off the top of my head I could find: Smokey Robinson & the Miracles - "I Gotta Dance to Keep from Crying"

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Chairmen of the Board - "Give Me Just a Little More Time"

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Prince Phillip Mitchell - "I'm So Happy"

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. The O'Jays - "Deeper (In Love With You)"

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. The Love Committee - "Cheaters Never Win"

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Billy Paul - "Only the Strong"

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Don Thomas - "Come on Train"

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Chuck Wood - "Seven Days Is Too Long"

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. The Valentines - "Breakaway"

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Eddie Floyd - "Knock on Wood"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads